Consumer Reports Likes the Golf

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
What all did they say about it? I guess this means Golf TDI's will be even harder to get.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Thanks Karl for the positive news!
Unfortunately, my lifetime subscription doesn't give me any preference and I'm one of the last to get my copy.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited November 07, 2000).]

think diesel

Veteran Member
Where? where? WHAT issue? I have been watching the newstands for it.

(I am working very hard NOT to turn this into an argument about Consumer Reports)

------------------
1999 New Jetta GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray studio

Mods: VW rubber floor mats, Ultra Nørsk Pine scented air freshener.

S

SkyPup

that is a BAD SIGN
Now Joe Six Pack and his buddy Joe Blow are going to want one and log on here to find out why it died when he put 89 octane in it

Heinz57

Veteran Member
Hold back on the flamming untill the issue is out. The November issue (Electronic issue)
made no referance to the TDI.

------------------
2K Golf GL TDI
White/BLack
UPsolute Chip&TB Descreened and K&N

TDi Guys

Veteran Member
I got my issue in the mail yesterday. Indeed, they did rate the golf ahead of the others, and at the top of the small car class (5-spd). They commented how the car felt quicker than the numbers showed (12.5 0-60) and they mentioned how surprisingly quiet and smooth it was. (shocker) BUT... several times they mentioned poor tailpipe emissions as a negative, as well as stinky fuel. Surprisingly, they said the car is the most livable fuel efficient car available.
Overall my impression was that they liked the car and gave a fair evaluation, but they fell on their faces dogging the emissions issue. Granted, it is hard to compare our TDi's to the SULEV status of the Prius.
There were a few real shockers in the article: they did not like the prius as much as I thought they would, especially the handling. They really dogged the Insight, and rated it poorly in just about every area. Also, they really liked the truly miserable Echo.
Certainly one of the most interesting and surprising CU auto tests I have ever read.

think diesel

Veteran Member
Sounds like they were pretty FAIR and BALANCED-- as usual.

Diesel fuel does have a peculiar odor if you are not used to it (read: obsessed) like we are.

As much as we like to deny it--- the TDI actually does have "higher" emissions than alot of gasoline cars (with tiny engines)

Perhaps we should say shame on Consumer Reports for not doing extensive research on emissions and explaining how the TDI is cleaner in some ways and dirtier in others...but 99% of the people read that article are not looking for that much information. That is not what the article was about. It was meant to be a general evaluation of the cars.

I will reserve judgement until I can read the actual article.

Inevitably there will be people who will deride Consumer Reports if they didn't devote an entire issue to lavish praising on the Golf TDI complete w/ a centerfold of a sexy dripping wet Golf TDI GLS with a naked 18 year old model draped over the hood.

(actually that part with the naked chick sounds pretty good)

think diesel

Veteran Member
I actually read a *very* positive review of the New Beetle TDI today. It was in this tabloid-style car magazine called "Auto World"

Some of you may have seen it in the supermarket check out line. Keep your eyes peeled! It was a glowing review of the TDI called "Rockin' with Rudolf"

------------------
1999 New Jetta GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray studio

Mods: VW rubber floor mats, Ultra Nørsk Pine scented air freshener.

Cameron

TDI
GLS, 2001, Baltic Green
It's good when any publication rates the cars we love positively. Though, from past experiences with car reports in CR, I really wish they would just stick to rating toothpaste and dryers. They have trashed many good cars on lack of their auto knowledge...

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
CR gave the Golf a surprisingly good review. I feared the "diesel" part of the equation would carry too much weight, ie emissions,but it didn't.

CR downgraded Golf TDI on acceleration(they said it has enought, but.....some may find it lacking.

CR downgraded interior heat saying it takes a while for the cabin air to warm. But...no one told them to turn heat knob all the way to HOT to engage the coolant glow/heat plugs.

Also said the power mirror knob as ackward to get at. I disagree with that one.

I agree with above messages. CR could have explained the diesel soot is not the Golfs fault, but the fault of the USA's lousy diesel fuel.

------------------
DEZLBOY
Ich bin ein TDI'er

dislluvr

Think Diesel must be having so much fun with his TDI he doesn't stop to read the postings on Fred's site every minute of the day. LOL

I gave some detail on that writeup in AutoWorldWeekly on my November 7th posting. You must have been smiling and enjoying the world too much with your TDI.
Some people have all the fun..........

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by think diesel:
I actually read a *very* positive review of the New Beetle TDI today. It was in this tabloid-style car magazine called "Auto World"

Some of you may have seen it in the supermarket check out line. Keep your eyes peeled! It was a glowing review of the TDI called "Rockin' with Rudolf"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Here's what CR said about the Golf TDI:

The Volkswagen Golf TDI may not be the first internal-combustion car to average more than 40 mpg, but it's certainly the best to date in overall capability. The Golf TDI is a solidly built vehicle that rides well and has a quiet, roomy, and comfortable interior. Handling and braking are sound. And it has a hatchback's versatility. (If you prefer a trunk, the Jetta TDI should provide the same inviting characteristics and excellent fuel economy as the Golf.) Although acceleration comes up a bit short, most drivers will find it sufficient. The diesel engine makes for relatively dirty tailpipe emissions, if not nearly as dirty as emissions from larger truck diesels. Also, some may find filling the tank unpleasant because diesel fuel has a strong oily odor. We expect the reliability to be average based on other models.

S

SkyPup

1.5 million happy satisfied Europeans can't be wrong!
I have a feeling they all know something the North Americans haven't yet a clue!

blue909

Veteran Member
I just got my issue today and read the TDI (and other car) reviews immediately. Not a bad review... yes, I agree that CR is not the font of all wisdom when it comes to things automotive, but they do provide a comprehensive review of generalities, which is what the average Joe wants for comparison purposes.

I sincerely hope that someone here at Freds who is far more knowledgable that I will write a letter to the CR editor (they publish some intelligent, well-written letters in each issue) providing feedback re: the realities of TDI emissions. How, it is cleaner in some respects than a small gas engine (like VW's 2 liter) and dirtier in others. Also, it would be nice to see someone point out (in the mainstream media forum that CR resides within) the hypocrisy of how a huge lumbering 12mpg SUV can be classed as a Low Emissions Vehicle based on it's output of emissions per gallon of fuel burned and in complete disregard that it (the SUV) must burn 4 gallons of fuel for every 1 gallon burned by a TDI to go the same distance. A brief mention of the high sulphur content in US diesel/gas as compared to Euro fuels and how that plays into higher emissions for all cars would also be nice.

I really think that such a letter needs to be written, and hopefully published... if someone here wrote such a letter, I would be happy to sign my name to it (electronically, of course)... maybe we could have a bunch of 'signatures' on it (once a draft is agreed upon here in the Forum) to better it's chances of publication in CR.

What do you think... ? Anyone interested in trying to draft such a letter and post it here for others to review/contribute to... after which we can all 'sign' it and then one person can print it and mail it off to CR?

BTW, how they managed to get only 29mpg from a 5speed TDI in city driving is beyond me. Also, I agree... gas stinks pretty bad itself.

blue909

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
I had the same thought. Unfortunately, I don't have time to write a good letter right now. Besides, there are other members who are far more qualified.

I can provide data from VW's own 1999-2000 Environmental Report that says the emissions of VW's 1.9 litre TDI are cleaner in most respects than those of VW's 2 litre gasoline engine. I'll post the data and a citation to the appropriate page of the report here as soon as I get a chance.

UPDATE: Here's the data from page 31 of VW's Environmental Report 1999/2000:

85 kW 115 bhp 2.0 litre gasoline engine: CO2 (g/km) 190; CO (g/km) 0.265; NO2 + HC (g/km) 0.041; Particulates (g/km) 0.

66 kW 90 bhp 1.9 litre diesel engine: CO2 (g/km) 132; CO (g/km) .101; NO2 + HC (g/km) 0.394; Particulates (g/km) 0.03.

So, the TDI emits 69.5% as much CO2, 38.1% as much CO per kilometer as the 2.0, but emits 9.6 times as much NO2 + HC as the 2.0 plus .03 grams of particulate per kilometer.

[This message has been edited by Dante Driver (edited November 26, 2000).]

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
OK I lied--I sent CU a the following letter via their website during lunch:

As a subscriber and owner of a 2000 Volkswagen Golf TDI, I enjoyed reading your evaluation of fuel-efficient vehicles, but I must question your assertion that "[t]he diesel engine makes for relatively dirty tailpipe emissions . . .” Relatively dirtier than what?

Page 31 of Volkswagen's "Environmental Report 1999/2000" says the emissions of the Golf's TDI engine are actually cleaner in terms of grams of emissions per kilometer than those of Volkswagen's 2-liter gasoline engine. The TDI emits just over 132 grams per kilometer while the 2-liter emits over 190 grams per kilometer--30% more than the TDI.

Here are the specific data (g/km) from Volkswagen's Environmental Report:

85 kW 115 bhp 2.0-liter gasoline engine: CO2 190; CO 0.265; NO2 + HC 0.041; Particulates 0.

66 kW 90 bop 1.9-liter diesel engine: CO2 132; CO .101; NO2 + HC 0.394; Particulates 0.03.

Volkswagen's 95 mpg Lupo is even cleaner. Unfortunately it is not available in the USA.

dezlman

On the emissions issue - Below is a paper I found on Argonne's site. Notice they predict a slight drop in NOx with higher diesel penetration in the passenger car market. The reason for this, as stated before on Fred's, is due to the decay in performance of emissions control devices on SI engines (catalytic converters).

Argonne Paper