DSG Mechatronics Replacement

Shaeet

TDI
12' JSW with mods, 05 Golf GLS 5spd
So my friend ran over something at highway speeds that slammed into the front of his DSG transmission on his 2010 TDI. Upon hitting it his car instantly lost power and he pulled over and got a tow. He wants me to help him fix it so I'm doing some research on the mechatronics on these cars.
Would the instant failure of the mechatronics damage any of the gearing internals? I'm thinking just replacing the unit and refilling the trans should fix his problem but I'm not sure if he needs an entire transmission at this point.
Anyone know the part # Of the mechatronics unit for a 2010 2.0 CR dsg + stamped steel cover plate? I'm getting different results with my google searches on the proper part #. I keep getting older 05-06 or "Eos" part numbers and I'm not sure if they are the same.
Thanks guys

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
So my friend ran over something at highway speeds that slammed into the front of his DSG transmission on his 2010 TDI. Upon hitting it his car instantly lost power and he pulled over and got a tow. He wants me to help him fix it so I'm doing some research on the mechatronics on these cars.
Would the instant failure of the mechatronics damage any of the gearing internals? I'm thinking just replacing the unit and refilling the trans should fix his problem but I'm not sure if he needs an entire transmission at this point.
Anyone know the part # Of the mechatronics unit for a 2010 2.0 CR dsg + stamped steel cover plate? I'm getting different results with my google searches on the proper part #. I keep getting older 05-06 or "Eos" part numbers and I'm not sure if they are the same.
Thanks guys
The DSG pan/cover is same as on 06-12 VW's including gas engines. The only difference is are mechatronic unit, it has to be specific to year of vehicle & engine type, best is go by VIN and original part number. There many variations of mechatronics units Is the DSG mechatronics pan/cover damaged? can you post pic's of damage? the instant loss of power is not DSG mechatronics related, it sounds more of like cracked intercooler pipe the or hose causing instant loss of boost pressure. Post pic's of damage and will try determine what could have been damaged.

Shaeet

TDI
I figured the unit would differ since the shiftpoints on the TDI's are so low compared to say a 2.0T.

The engine starts/runs as the car sits. My understanding is the mechatronics unit is basically a "pressure pump". The pan was bent to the point where the fluid leaked out which would de-pressurize the whole unit. His explanation of what happened was as if you were coasting down in gear in neutral.

Here is a pic of the impact damage:

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok thanks for pics. So as I was suspecting the instant loss of power was due to damaged intercooler. Regarding DSG mechatronics unit, with that amount of dent in side cover, it for sure is damaged the board on unit and possibly couple solenoids, so he will need to get new mechatronics unit and cover pan.

Shaeet

TDI
Ok thanks for pics. So as I was suspecting the instant loss of power was due to damaged intercooler. Regarding DSG mechatronics unit, with that amount of dent in side cover, it for sure is damaged the board on unit and possibly couple solenoids, so he will need to get new mechatronics unit and cover pan.
Do you think simply swapping out the mechatronics will work? He's worried about spending $1000+ on a new unit only to find the internals were damaged or something. Then having to buy an entire transmission.

I would think it wouldn't damage or do anything to the internal gears since the mechatronics just controls fluid pressures that shift the gears but again I have'nt worked on one of these DSG's in my life.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you think simply swapping out the mechatronics will work? He's worried about spending $1000+ on a new unit only to find the internals were damaged or something. Then having to buy an entire transmission.

I would think it wouldn't damage or do anything to the internal gears since the mechatronics just controls fluid pressures that shift the gears but again I have'nt worked on one of these DSG's in my life.
Then internals will be perfectly fine (its manual transmission inside), just replace mechatronics unit with brand new one from dealer $1500 or possibly find identical used with same part numbers. If you guys don't see broken/missing plastic board parts from mechatronic then transmission itself will be fine, if you end up finding some plastics missing they they possibly could fallen in to inside of gearing housing.

Here is what look like inside of DSG

Last edited:

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Just curious if one of the steel skid plates would have saved the unit? I've been debating getting one for my current Golf.

Shaeet

TDI
in this case a steel skidplate would've saved this cars life for sure. But hitting pipes on the highway isn't really a common thing either.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Does your friend not have insurance? It would be covered minus the deductible.

Donald

FunTDItime

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Hey I have the car after accident and my solenoid connector with ribbon cable is damaged. Looking to buy the connector if anyone has off the bad mechatronics unit. I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited: