Key will not open trunk lid

toot77

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI auto (180K miles), & 2013 Jetta TDI (50K miles and sadly returned)
I have learned that I am not able to open the trunk lid with the key on my 2000 Jetta. It opens fine with the door switch and the fobs so I imagine the problem is corrosion in the key lock cylinder thanks to the road salt over the years. I had the same problem with the key cylinder in the driver’s door and was able to disassemble, clean, and reassemble it last fall while replacing the door latch module and did get the door lock working again. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is, and possibly a procedure to remove and disassemble the trunk lid key cylinder from a 2000 Jetta?
thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Will it move any ..

If so, you must put a little more effort into the twisting action ...... it will open!

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Yes if it goes in and turns at all, squirt graphite in the lock and work key in and out and keep squirting it in :p until she turns.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Spray a bit of PB Blaster in it 2 or 3 times a day then wiggle the key in it.
I do my doors every fall on any car I've had.
Also do the house keys at least once a year.
A lock smith told me to use WD-40 instead of graphite and I started with PB-B once I tried it.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Fluid Film or Slick Stuff works really great and it's not stinky (like PB Blaster): more expensive, though.

toot77

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI auto (180K miles), & 2013 Jetta TDI (50K miles and sadly returned)
Thanks for the replies. I have been spraying PB Blaster into the lock every couple of weeks for the past several months. Has not helped. With all the road salt around here, i probably should have started spraying the PB Blaster fifteen years ago. I went through the same thing with the door key lock last summer and never got it freed up until I finally gave up and removed the lock cylinder, disassembled it, cleaned each piece and then reassembled. Now the door lock works fine. I need to get the trunk key lock cylinder out. I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on getting it out.