www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old May 15th, 2017, 08:16   #16
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

That would fall under texting, which I forgot about as the number one distraction.
Old May 18th, 2017, 13:49   #17
vwdsmguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/46/42
Default cell phone fatalaties

From what I"ve read American vehicle fatalities were going down in past years, until recently, when they went up. The reporting agency [can't remember who it was] said this uptick was cell phone, in car usage. I thought it was illegal to use these while driving [in NY state anyway].
My biggest concern is being hit on my bicycle by some a$$ on a phone. I thought phones were only to be used for an emergency. Whatever happened to putting all your concentration on driving your vehicle in a safe manner.
'02 Golf TDI, RC5, PP764's, FMIC, 2.5" T-Back, OMI, SB-3 clutch, 11mm pump, VNT17/22, 3 Bar MAP, CAT filter, 90 GPH Holley lift pump, modded D24 intake manifold, Rosten rods, Nural pistons, ported head - 15.0 @ 94 at the drags

Last edited by vwdsmguy; May 18th, 2017 at 13:51.
vwdsmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:13   #18
tactdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5 Jetta

All that safe, focused driving has gone out the window. Most of the new car ads promote their auto driving aids, auto braking, distance following cruise, "hands free" phone integration, self parking, etc. The ads (Toyota and I think even VW for example), even highlights the fact that the actor/driver in their ad can be distracted singing, talking on the phone, not looking ahead at traffic, etc, and the car will stop if the front detects a stopped car or pedestrian. One of Toyota's ads even has the pedestrian getting excited about the self stopping feature of the car, vs the fact that driver was inattentive and that the car stopped instead of hitting him, and that the driver was not in control of the car.

People buy on tech gadgets today, focus is on Nav, back cameras, side view cameras, self braking, semi autonomous cruise, etc.

I have been window shopping for a new/used car, and looked at a used BMW, the salesman spent 20 minutes going over the technology on the car, which after the test drive, I commented that I had never spent more time going over the car features than than the test drive took.
tactdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:49   #19
benIV
Veteran Member

my brother texts while driving nearly all the time. He's been in one accident. He was distracted when he wrecked his car... but he was distracted by running through radio stations trying to find something to listen to.

perhaps we should make it illegal to do the following or have the following in cars:

eat, put makeup on, have a radio, have a phone, have other passengers, et. al

On second thought, the only sure way to avoid accidents is to ban cars. Let's do it!

btw... my story about my brother does not mean that i condone texting while driving, it is very stupid and dangerous even for the most careful drivers. it's not worth it either, just pull over for a few minutes.
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #6 - 2003 TDI Mafia Member
Orville, 2003 Jetta 5m Sedan
Knurren, 2003 Jetta 5m Wagon (Golf Variant)

1974 Super Beetle Conv, 1956 Mercedes 560 SL
benIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:14   #20
jason_
Veteran Member

I capitalize on the lights that are red for 5 minutes, and if you're the 4th car, you MIGHT make it green, plan on yellow, and that's usually breaking loose on dry pavement from a standstill and into 2nd gear...

Ugh I hate that one intersection...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
jason_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 18:48   #21
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Cell phone usage as well as radio usage should be completely illegal while driving. I have no clue as to why our legislators think either activity is not distracted driving.

If you are driving, just turn off your phone. It is just that simple. There is no situation on this planet that requires you to talk or text someone while driving...................
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; May 20th, 2017 at 18:52.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:06   #22
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
Cell phone usage as well as radio usage should be completely illegal while driving. I have no clue as to why our legislators think either activity is not distracted driving.

If you are driving, just turn off your phone. It is just that simple. There is no situation on this planet that requires you to talk or text someone while driving...................
No situation? What if there's a really important tweet about what kind of nutritional supplement Kim Kardashian gets paid to say she uses? The lives of other road users surely come second to that.
Old May 24th, 2017, 03:36   #23
Michael M Perez

In fact , studies show that mobiles distract drivers leading to accidents
Michael M Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:51   #24
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

texting while driving banned here, cellphone use of any kind is banned for those with probationary or instructional permit. also banned in construction zones.

Absolutely NOT ENFORCED unless you are all over the road. This is because (paraphrased from local cop i know) cops are on their cell phones constantly and would prefer to not have the light shined in their direction because it is technically against department policy

personally, i think keeping a distracted driving law on the books makes sense but banning specific actions by claiming that they are inherently distracting doesnt.
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:29   #25
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Worse than being on the cellphone, have you ever watched a cop trying to use their computer while driving? I'm amazed at where most squads have a laptop mounted these days.

The funny one from this week though is the drunk in Florida that totaled the new sheriff's cruiser with all the drunk driving awareness placards.
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:58   #26
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

02 Golf 5 speeds ugh. Don't have one and don't want one. Is there some electronic device that I could carry in my car to make 02 Golfs go dead around my car? I don't want to be a victim of an accident because some a$$hole has to drive their 02 Golf next to me. I would be willing to pay money to jam the 02 Golfs around my car. Anyone know how to do this?
06 Jetta TDI White w/Beige Pkg 2 DSG
06 Jetta TDI Black w/Beige Pkg 0 5MT
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 15:13   #27
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammer View Post
02 Golf 5 speeds ugh. Don't have one and don't want one. Is there some electronic device that I could carry in my car to make 02 Golfs go dead around my car? I don't want to be a victim of an accident because some a$$hole has to drive their 02 Golf next to me. I would be willing to pay money to jam the 02 Golfs around my car. Anyone know how to do this?
Probably nothing that would work without also disabling your own car.
Old May 26th, 2017, 15:41   #28
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Texting is stupid while driving, that is obvious. Talking on a phone via bluetooth when traffic is light is no different than talking to a passenger. When traffic is heavy, get off the phone. Likewise trying to put hot sauce on a burrito at 60 mph is not the best plan. This stuff is not that hard to figure out. Ban radios in cars? I think that was one of Pol Pot's ideas.
Old May 26th, 2017, 17:20   #29
tadawson
Veteran Member

What they need to get rid of is all the touch screen and menu based crap that you have to look at to operate. I would expect dedicated controls that have one function that can be operated by feel would be far safer.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 04:56   #30
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Default cell phone? Bluetooth!

The increase in accidents nationwide due to texting while driving is a well known fact. I work at a University, and I've actually witnessed one accident recently and hear about friends and colleagues getting rear ended by texters. It is even indirectly affecting insurance rates (no one admits to doing it!). It is really bad for teenagers, with deaths, every day. When I hear my text alert, I wait for a red light, or ignore it until I am at my destination.

However, I use bluetooth as seemlessly as having a conversation with a passenger. Steering wheel controls are instantly accessible, and my fingers know where they are now. Answering calls, and making calls is not distracting at all for me. I am used to it. Used properly, bluetooth saves lives because you do not have to take your eyes off the road any longer than it takes to check your speed (look at the speedometer). You don't have to find/touch the phone at all.

I am an extremely actively defensive driver (especially after getting nailed last November!). I can actively keep track of drivers around me while using bluetooth. I pause my conversation if any drivers get too close or don't seem to see be yielding. No problem. I do it all the time.

In fact, having two or more children in the car is way MORE distracting than making/answering a call using bluetooth! It is fantastic.

Nav, on the other hand, takes MUCH more attention to follow. Staring at your radio screen is dangerous. It takes your eyes off the road, and breaks your attention to the road much more than children!

I can change stations using the steering wheel controls, too. Much safer than reaching for the radio.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257

Last edited by dubStrom; May 27th, 2017 at 06:11.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote