www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 18th, 2017, 15:55   #1
itsmejerry
Veteran Member
Default Phase 1 (fixed) "New" 2015 Mileage thread

I wanted to start this thread to give people who have recently purchased "new" "fixed" 2015's to see what their mileage experience is.

Lets try to limit the discussions to tank mileage, not what your readout is on a single long stretch. And it will be helpful if you also "do the math", meaning divide your tank driven miles by the actual amount of fuel you pump in. And to not rely on the car's mileage computer.

If you've previously owned a TDI, let us know so we know if you're an "experienced" TDI driver, or if you're learning the ropes.

Like most mileage threads, try to include what kind of driving you've done. (city, highway and % of each).

Ok, there.. Is that enough rules??

This should answer a lot of questions people have about the fix.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:23   #2
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

If you check on Fuelly, there are 154 2015 Jetta TDIs, which are averaging 41 mpg at the moment. Pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see where that average goes in the future.
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:45   #3
tomo366
TDI Lifer

I took a road trip from D.C. To South Jersey yesterday 249 miles round trip MFD showed 63-65 MPG entire trip A/C On and 70-75 most of the time....and no interest here to purchase this car, they would rather spend list -5K for a 2 + year old car that's been sitting for 2 years! Wow just Wow!

2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 10:27   #4
moorsb

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

I just did a trip in my new Passat SE TDI from Florida to Texas 43 mpg. 75-80 mph with A/C 875 mile trip each way. I noticed the MFD computer show a better avg number like 50.3 and I reset the computer and is seems more inline with the actual fuel used.
moorsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 13:00   #5
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

I just filled my newly-purchased 2015 GSW for the first time this afternoon. The optimistic MFD stated 56.3 mpg, while actual was 52.9 mpg.

602.6 miles traveled
11.398 gallons refilled
52.87 mpg

Thrilled to crack 50 on the first tank with the DSG. This was 95% highway driving at ~65 mph using common sense economy driving techniques.

Previous TDIs: '96 B4V, '06 Golf, '12 Passat
Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:46   #6
NebraskaTDI

I've been averaging 41.2 in mixed driving over about 500 miles. On one short (50 mile) highway trip, I-80, about 75-80 mph, got 50.2. Short 'city only' seems to be about 37mpg. Got one of those 'new' 2 yr old 2015 Golf TDIs they just put up for sale.
NebraskaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 15:44   #7
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

I did a Birmingham AL to Atlanta and back trip this weekend in the Passat. It was 90% highway, with lots of stop and go in Atlanta on surface streets. It was right at 1/2 tank when I got back, and on Sunday we did the church, Costco, shopping errands, and today I filled it up with 452 miles when the guage was reading 3/8 tank.

City driving seems to average 34-35 according to the read out, so I wasn't surprised that It dropped quickly below half tank on Sunday.

I filled it FULL (until I actually saw liquid fuel at the top of the filler neck), which took 9.49 gallons. 47.62 MPG.

I now wish that I had filled it as soon as I got back to Birmingham, just to see what my true highway mileage was.

Early next month I'll be driving Birmingham to Denver, and cant wait to go across the Flatlands of Kansas and eastern Colorado.

I figure if I can drive conservatively and use my hyper miling skills (I use the pedal on, lift, lift, lift- pedal on) technique where I give it fuel, then coast for 2-3 seconds on long straight stretches. That I can get 55 mpg. with 18 gallons that's 990 miles on a tank.

I know it's early in the engine's life, but I'll try to knock out a 1000 mile tank.

I'll post pictures of my intermediate progress, and include the clock and fuel guage in the picture to validate that I'm not stopping and adding fuel.

Last edited by itsmejerry; May 22nd, 2017 at 15:47.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 15:48   #8
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelTDI View Post
If you check on Fuelly, there are 154 2015 Jetta TDIs, which are averaging 41 mpg at the moment. Pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see where that average goes in the future.
Yep. I see that. I am interested in the ones that have undergone the phase 1 part of the fix in an effort to see if there's any change (good or bad) to the mileage.

Thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:30   #9
PaulN

I have just received the Phase I fix on my 2015 sportwagen I bought new 11-SEP-2015, currently at just under 20K miles.

Past lifetime average consumption is about 56mpg.
Past highway trip ave consumption is about 67mpg.

First use of the car after the fix was highway ave consumption 72mpg.

These are all instrument panel figures.

Post fix part 1:

- idle sounds smoother, may be about 30-40 rpm faster
- engine performance feels the same
- regeneration used to be "long" (few minutes) occurring once or twice per tank, post fix-1 I think it is doing short ones (about 15 seconds) about every hour of driving
- overall the car seems to "like" the fix part 1, as if it suddenly advanced through the break-in period.
PaulN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:52   #10
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulN View Post
I have just received the Phase I fix on my 2015 sportwagen I bought new 11-SEP-2015, currently at just under 20K miles.

Post fix part 1:

- regeneration used to be "long" (few minutes) occurring once or twice per tank, post fix-1 I think it is doing short ones (about 15 seconds) about every hour of driving
- overall the car seems to "like" the fix part 1, as if it suddenly advanced through the break-in period.
Great info in your detailed post

Thx
Old May 25th, 2017, 14:16   #11
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Just did fill-up number two on mine. 600.5 miles, 11.213 gal, for 53.55 mpg. Averaging 53.2 since new and obviously not even close to broken in. I am pleasantly surprised at how much better this DSG GSW is doing than my DSG NMS and my 6M MkIV PD did. This thing is sipping fuel like my B4V did. It's a keeper!

Old May 25th, 2017, 14:45   #12
Airbus320

Fuel Economy: 6.0 L/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulN View Post

Post fix part 1:

Don't think that is quite true about the regens as my 2015 (still in the first tank and 800kms in has had two now, both as I was finishing my drive. I had to sit in the driveway for 10 min each time as it finished. That being said it would be shorter if I was driving but not 15sec more like 5-8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Airbus320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 19:03   #13
itsmejerry
Veteran Member
Default 758 miles on tank.

I drove Birmingham, Al to Denver this week.
The Passat had less than 1000 miles on it, so the engine is still very tight and not broken in.
Day 1. --- 758 miles. 15.58 gallons. 48.6 mpg.
Strangely enough the fuel guage came off full after 40 miles, and showed a range of 30 miles with low fuel light glowing when I filled up. I filled until I saw liquid and it only took 15.58 gallons. So did I have 2.5 gallons left?
Im going to get the sending unit checked.
The readout showed an average of 52.1, but real math showed 48.6.
I took it easy on day 1, using Cruise at 65 mph. Trying to break it in nicely. Day 2 of trip showed a lower mpg, but that was 75 mph across Kansas and Colorado plains, and some Denver stop and go.
So, on the way home Im debating buying a 2 gallon gas can and keeping it ready, and running until it starts to sputter. I honestly have to know if the guage shows empty with 2 gallons remining, or if its off.
Overall, the Passat is a great road car. And even at altitude, it doesnt lack power when needed.
I would have had better day 1 mpg, but i took a shortcut across a non interstate part of Missouri. Lots and lots of hills. I should have stayed on the interstate.
Is it wrong to be disappointed that I "only" got 758 miles on a tank? :-)
Old May 25th, 2017, 19:45   #14
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Jerry, I think they build in a ~2 gallon reserve at 0 miles range on the instrument display. Case in point is that on both my first tanks I drove to ~0 miles range, still had half the red zone left on the needle, and refilled around 11.3 gallons on the 13.2 gallon tank in the GSW. Looks like VW is trying to get you to keep a couple of gallons in the tank to protect the pump.

Old May 26th, 2017, 09:54   #15
Stratford_Jetta

Default New 15 Passat tdi

I detect a slight change in the milage figures, have car 6 days and my daily commute is 140. Mostly highway 60mph. At first I was in shock I was getting 40 mpg but discovered I was looking at the MFD 2 (total running time) not MFD 1 the actual trip. Figures are close to my previous 15 Passat which is about to be turned in (currently parked). Got appointment within 4 days of submitting paperwork.

Weather does impact mpg outside temps not above 70's in New England this past week, so looking forward to higher mpg once it turns up. Best I got on my previous 15 was 67 mpg one night 2 years ago.

So far so good.
Stratford_Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote