Opel-GM Eco Warrior Speedster!!!

S

SkyPup

MAJOR DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1.3 liter turbodiesel is the smallest common-rail-fed four cylinder diesel in the world with 1,600bar multipoint injection.

The 1.3 liter ECOTEC CDTI has 113bhp and 200Nm of torque and a top speed of 250km/hr (156 mph) and 2.5L/100km or 113 miles per gallon!!!!

The world premiere of this spectacular prototype marks the start of the biggest diesel campaign in Opel's history. By the end of 2003 the company will introduce four all-new common rail diesel engines across the range, with power outputs of up to 130 kW (177 hp). The outstandingly efficient Eco-Speedster prototype with its spectacular long-tail body demonstrates impressively the performance potential of the future 1.3 CDTI ECOTEC engine: During initial testing, the 82 kW/112-hp concept car reached a maximum speed of over 250 km/h, while fuel consumption according to the MVEG cycle was a miserly 2.5 liters per 100 kilometers.

When the record-breaking GT made its sensational appearance, it was the first time that "sports-car performance" had been associated with the diesel engine.

The performance of the very compact unit in the new engineering study is particularly impressive. The all-new ECOTEC-CDTI diesel, with the latest multi-jet common rail fuel injection, four valves per cylinder and a Garrett variable-geometry turbocharger, has a displacement of only 1.3 liters.

This innovative engine is notable for its compact dimensions (length/width/height: 460/500/650 millimeters). In terms of fuel consumption, emissions and refinement it proves to be one of the best diesels of all. Compared with other current engines of similar output, fuel consumption will be down by approx. 10 percent and emissions will be cut by 30 to 40 percent and thus outperform the Euro 4 limits. At 1251 cc, this ECOTEC unit is the world's smallest four-cylinder diesel, but with regard to output and torque it can compete with substantially larger engines.

The basis for this performance potential is the ultramodern design of the new 1.3 CDTI ECOTEC engine. An alloy cylinder head tops the weight-optimized cast-iron engine block (bore x stroke 69.6 x 82.0 millimeters). There are four valves per cylinder, operated by roller cam followers from two chain-driven overhead camshafts. The latest multi-jet direct injection system with fuel supply by 'common rail' at a pressure of 1600 bar is another noteworthy feature.

Fuel supply to the five-hole nozzles is controlled via an ultramodern solenoid valve. The fuel injection system's response time is less than 20 millionths of a second, ensuring extremely fine metering of the fuel and up to five injections per working cycle. This not only keeps fuel consumption and exhaust emissions extremely low, but also ensures smooth, low-noise operation. Pilot injection helps to reduce the once notorious diesel-engine knock in the warm-up phase to a hardly identifiable level.

[ January 12, 2003, 11:25: Message edited by: SkyPup ]

S

SkyPup

I DEMAND that GM import one of these babies now and sell it to me for $25,000 smackers in order to rectify their destruction of the North American diesel passenger car market....
With ULSD everywhere and this sweet turbodiesel in my driveway getting 113 mpg I could actually forgive GM for all the damage they have done to diesels.

S

SkyPup

The worlds first high mileage sports car sure does put everything else to shame.

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member
Just some brain-droppings...
Does BMW make this diesel too?
They make most of Opels production diesels.
How heavy is that rascal? If light enough, sya around 105kg wet this could be a terrific engine to convert to aviation use. I agree with SP...$25K to my doorstep and no more me badmouthing GM diesels...even the Maxi-Pad.
Rodg

speakerboy

Veteran Member
TDI
none right now :'(
I agree that it is the sweetest car ever. Well maybe not ever, but certainly within the last week.
Good luck trying to get one, Skypup and Rodg. I bet they had to use (gulp!) carbon fiber everything to get the wieght down. Maybe in like 2030, you'll see it for sale in Hemmings Motor News.

S

SkyPup

Man that is one super sweet machine.

It is about time someone started thinking HSDI Sports Car!