Need struts??

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Are the struts the same for the 2.0 gas motor and the tdi?
By this point in time yes, I would say that the 2.0 gasser struts are the same, but the factory did differentiate between std suspension and HD suspension when the car was built and meant different struts.

Now, years later, no one probably bothers with different struts, all 4 cyl probably use the same.

My last go round was with Tokico and those worked well, they were comparable to Bilstein TC. I have a set of Eibach that I'm going to install this next go round.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Neuspeed, told me the same comparing B4 VR6 and 4 cyl springs...

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m only mentioning what I was told. I think they said there’s no difference between the sedan and wagon springs, also.

The springs on my B4 donor car were verified to be VR6 springs. Pic can be seen in my build thread, in my sig. It’s hard to tell real wheel gap, because the tires are 205/55/15. Second pic in the first post.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just so we’re on the same page, I’m referring to Neuspeed’s Sport springs, not OE springs.

-Todd

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
This. Big question is whether or not the car is getting lowered. If not, go with the Bilsteins. If so, go with the Konis.
Correct, you shouldn't try and use the TC with lowering springs but you can lower on Bilstein yellow Sports or HD.

Personally wouldn't think HD would be that great on light weight Mk3, but the Sport I could get along with.

I don't know that HD necessarily means good impact absorption rates etc. If you just stop the strut from moving with thicker fluid it makes things pretty jarring. Same with high pressure gas, the rebound can be a pretty big jolt IMO.

Steve

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This. Big question is whether or not the car is getting lowered. If not, go with the Bilsteins. If so, go with the Konis.
STR.Ts are valved firmer than other Konis, which is good for lowering springs, but also is fine if the car ins't lowered. MKIII cars do well with firmer dampers, in my experience.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Correct, you shouldn't try and use the TC with lowering springs but you can lower on Bilstein yellow Sports or HD.

My info may be dated, but Sport and HD used to be the same valving. The only difference was that Sports were shorter, for lowering springs.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My info may be dated, but Sport and HD used to be the same valving. The only difference was that Sports were shorter, for lowering springs.

-Todd
You could be right about that. I did notice that there were some differences in length between the two but it didn't seem to be all that much, at least not that it would matter where lowering springs were concerned.

Then again I don't pay that much attention to that stuff either.

Steve