Engine electrical system falling apart with no solution

Baratis

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
Posted about looking for a new wiring harness a while back without needing one urgently. Few months ago I got a CTS code. Replaced connector and sensor which didn't fix it. Then, I had an MAF code. I replaced the sensor, which didn't fix it. I then searched online for a new connector. Ordered one and it took weeks to arrive. Replaced the connector and it was still down on power, so I plugged in vag com again. No response to it. I tried my bluetooth code reader. Again, nothing. Went to a known good electrical shop in the area and dropped off the car. Got a call a bit later saying they have no wiring schematics and could not find any, and it would likely be very expensive to pull apart and try to diagnose without one. They recommended I call a dealer and ask if they have the wiring diagram. I called 3 and none of them did. So I ordered an all new harness that was stated to fit my car. It did not. I ordered another one that was stated to also fit my car. It also did not fit. So, to sum it up, no replacement wiring for this car is available, no complete wiring diagrams exist, and no one knows how the electrical system on this car works. It seems at this point the car is dead in the water which I am livid about as I have worked the past 2 years getting the car mechanically perfect. I'm pissed off enough to send the damn thing to a crusher out of spite and buy a 50-year-old Beetle I can actually get any part I need for it.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Never had any problems with diagrams. You should be able to find them easily in the Bentley manual, All data, Mitchell, etc.

Baratis

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
Update: Post was made while angry. I found a full wiring diagram for free and believe I may just be able rewire from connector to ecu pretty easily when following the diagram. Would like to just pull the harness and work on it in the living room but I've got a seized up wiper arm that would need to be cut off to access the ECU.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
but I've got a seized up wiper arm that would need to be cut off to access the ECU.
Being that you're in Seattle, shouldn't that take priority anyway?;)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
but I've got a seized up wiper arm that would need to be cut off to access the ECU.
Others have posted good penetrating oil, let it sit, re-spray a few times.
I would loosen the nut for this.
Wiggle the arm back & forth a few times with the spraying.
Use a small puller with the arm nut just to the top of the stud.

Bing search Wiper arm puller.
Some are not expensive. :)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
As you are folding the wiper arm up, push downward and lift the opposite side off the shaft