Confirmation on "normal" sounds

BlueOvalKid

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
2001 Beetle TDI - 186k - Auto
Picked this up as a project for my daughter who is getting her license.
Just got done going through almost everything on the engine. New TB+Kit, New Serpentine Belt, New gaskets throughout, Cleaned EGR, Cleaned Intake, Disassembled & cleaned Turbo, New ECT sensor, New Fan Sensor, New vacuum hoses throughout, cleaned intercooler & all piping. Replaced almost all coolant hoses and all hose clamps.
I'm used to my Cayenne Twin Turbo but it sounds nothing like this TDI.
I did a recording and just want to make sure it sounds "normal" to everyone. I believe I am good to go but just looking for that warm fuzzy confirmation.
You can hear it idling, slowly bringing rpm to ~ 2000 and a couple of blips of the throttle. In the blips you can hear the turbo which I believe is also normal. As you can see in the video all covers are off, it's on jackstands and in my garage so all sounds I'm sure are amplified.
Anything that doesn't sound normal please let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGQaLsIV59ywevbWeaazSL-KR9ZJh0g3/view?usp=sharing

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds pretty normal to me. Auto cars are always louder, it seems. How's the timing? Sounds kind of advanced. And the pump is noisy, which isn't unusual, as long as it's working properly.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I love videos like this!
Sounds OK to me. When you went under you could hear a drone of air moving I think.
Could be turbulence from that interesting intake pipe you've pieced together.
Have you taken her out for a hard run yet?
Also in CO do they still have BioD? A B20 blend from a reputable company would help
to clean out the fuel system if it even needs it.

BlueOvalKid

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
Could be turbulence from that interesting intake pipe you've pieced together.
Have you taken her out for a hard run yet?
Also in CO do they still have BioD? A B20 blend from a reputable company would help
to clean out the fuel system if it even needs it.
All intake piping is stock so I'm not sure what you mean?
I did run diesel purge through it as part of the overhaul.

BlueOvalKid

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
Well, took the bug out for a shake down run last night and it lasted about 6 miles.

Smoke started billowing out of the exhaust, and from under hood, and the engine started to run-away but I shut it off before it hit 2k and it shut down immediately.

I would love to post a video but I don't think it's a good idea to :(

I'm guessing the turbo is toast and was pushing oil through the intake. Any other thoughts or specific things to look for?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Check the inter cooler for oil again.
How much oil is in it now.

Is the engine oil full?

I would pop the 2 hoses off the turbo and check for play and damage on the tips of the blades.
The housing should also have scoring on it.

Don't know how hard it is to get to it on the Beetle.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I would definitely check the engine oil level. And check to see if there's still residual oil in the intercooler.

Last edited:

BlueOvalKid

TDI
2001 Beetle TDI
Here is the video of what I've found.

The red solo cups are 18oz each so I would estimate I drained ~ 33oz of oil from the intake at the bottom of the intercooler.

The turbo compressor wheel is as clean as it was when I installed it and does not appear to have any FOD or contact with the housing.

The turbo turbine wheel is completely coked in oil. That side of the housing was almost as clean as the compressor side when I installed it.

I would say that a seal in the CHRA has let go and sucking oil. Since I can't rebuild the CHRA without rebalancing I guess I'm looking at a new CHRA or complete turbo.

Any thoughts on something I might be missing?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LUbvZqq7Tkfp8xxnszvt5GRDEDZyx4Y5