Passat TDI (2012-2014) over 80mph post fix

vwtdi--P

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I had this issue for the last two winters, specifically my car freaks out if i go over 80mph when the temperature is below 40 deg F (car counts down from 250 miles and will not restart after this). last year my car limped to the shop 3 times due to this, and this year i have never driven over 75 mph and its been fine. i still dont see a recall or fix for this issue.

Any updates from anyone?

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blo...1/do-you-have-2012-2013-or-2014-vw-passat-tdi

• There’s a problem with Volkswagen’s “fix” on 2012-2014 Passats with the modification. When driving at higher speeds – typically over 80 miles per hour for 15 minutes or longer – Passats with the modification may not inject enough diesel exhaust fluid. The 15-minute period doesn’t have to be continuous and may add up over multiple trips. If you continue to drive at that speed, your dashboard warning light may come on, letting you know your emission system is malfunctioning. Later you may hear a warning chime. At some point, once you stop your car, it might not restart.
  • What should Passat owners do if the warning light comes on? If the warning light comes on, visit your Volkswagen dealer as soon as possible. VW will turn the light off for free. Until you visit the dealer, don’t drive over 80 miles per hour.
  • What should Passat owners do if the warning light hasn’t come on? For now, don’t drive over 80 miles per hour.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
So, was that fix that you quoted/documented implemented on your car and did not work, or ? ? ? I got a followup reflash for that many months ago . . .

vwtdi--P

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
So, was that fix that you quoted/documented implemented on your car and did not work, or ? ? ? I got a followup reflash for that many months ago . . .

last year they reflashed it, but same issue came back. i havent been contacted for a recall on this. there are no TSB on my vin number for it either. its like they dont actually want to fix it...

also i didnt quote/document a fix. from what i see there has been no fix offered from VW.

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I hate to be "that guy"...but keep seems like the solution is simple...keep it under 80 mph for a sustained period.

vwtdi--P

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
i am asking because it seems that a workaround is not a fix, and as i am trying to sell my car, it would be nice if i didnt have to caveat it with this absurd answer. thus far the local VW shop hasnt been helpful. ill call vw care. was hoping the "community" would have some more info, as VW isnt always the most forthcoming imo.

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I don't think you need to list the caveat....no dealer I worked with when buying mine needed to...if the future owner decides to drive over 80, that's on them.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I don't think you need to list the caveat....no dealer I worked with when buying mine needed to...if the future owner decides to drive over 80, that's on them.
You don't HAVE to list it, but it's kind of dickish not to at least mention it.

I know that it wouldn't work for me; we have high speed limits in Texas, so cruising the interstate at 85-90 MPH is common. I would be beyond mad to find out my car could not sustain over 80 MPH for extended periods of time.

vwtdi--P

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
You don't HAVE to list it, but it's kind of dickish not to at least mention it.

I know that it wouldn't work for me; we have high speed limits in Texas, so cruising the interstate at 85-90 MPH is common. I would be beyond mad to find out my car could not sustain over 80 MPH for extended periods of time.

exactly. when my car failed in the past it was running between 60-75 for several hours with only briefly going over the speed limit for passing. it really depended on how cold it was outside and how close to the threshold i was consistently running at.

as for sale, this guy makes all sorts of assumptions, like that I'm selling it to a dealer... long and short of it, it would be best to try to get it fixed if there is one available before i even attempt to transact on it.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
This NHTSA TSB looks like it is the fix to your issue:

Code: 23Z3 - NHTSA

It was issued about a month after the FTC article that you linked. Otherwise, I'm betting that the only other solution would be to have the vehicle tuned by someone like Kerma or Malone.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Note, mine was not "re"flashed, but flashed with a new, specific version to fix this (as per the TSB cited above, and it's a fix, not a workaround), and sustained over 80MPH on a few cross country toll roads support that it worked. Don't know what to tell you, other that that fix has worked for many of us. Perhaps your dealer derped and reflashed the bad version?

Last edited:

Splice2

TDI
vw passat tdi
I recently had a replay with this same issue in the Texas heat. Luckily I had my OBD eleven with me and cleared code. But after 100 miles my engine light would come on telling me to put in more DEF or would not restart after 200 miles. I got back home and need to repeat the drive closer to home so I can take car to the dealer for maybe a permanent fix.