2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Total fail! I finally lifted the hood today to see the stickers they add after the recall to find they didn't even put my airbox back together. The warm air valve had been replaced but they just left the top of the box flopping around. Not very impressed, we drove it for 4 days like that.
Checked under my hood stickers affixed to the hood, airbox looks intact. Rear muffler looks lower from the side though.

Which dealership did your fix. I took mine to midtown Toronto VW.

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
After selling my 2013 Jetta TDI Premium with DSG I didn't think I'd be back on this forum any time soon, WRONG!

I picked up a low miles (25K) CPO 2013 Golf TDI S 4 door with DSG. The car I really wanted when I bought the Jetta, got it new. VW offered $900 more than what I paid for it after driving it 3.5 years. It had 22k miles when I turned it in.

There are differences between the two cars, It seems like the trans wants to shift a bit higher in the rpm range, its almost like being in S mode. The difference between D and S shifting modes is less pronounced from what I can tell. Power is about the same. The Golf seems to be a tad more noisy on rough roads than the Jetta was. Or maybe the stock tires are a bit noisy?

The car is a medium gray and looks great. I'm so happy to be back in a diesel powered car! I wonder how much use the Miata is going to get.

Anyway, glad to be back. I've seen some familiar names already. Any way to know how many (%) turned in their car vs waiting for the fix?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My wife called me as she left her school last night. The glow plug light was flashing. It's now sitting at the dealer waiting on diagnosis. They speculated that it was probably bad glow plugs but am waiting on a more complete determination.

Update: Here's a copy of my paperwork. MIL codes P2015 (Replaced intake manifold) and P0638 (replaced throttle valve). Best part? All covered under the fix warranty. I've seen an estimate (2017) for P2015 on here for about $850. Anyone have any idea what these two repairs would have cost me out of pocket? SA didn't have that piece of paper in front of him.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/uploads//14398/Jan_2019_repair.pdf

I asked if the intake manifold repair could be related to IC icing and you thought I hit the SA with the idiot stick.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Driving pattern primarily consists of Highway driving 80 miles a day Mon-Friday. I have a little bit of a lead foot and mainly drive 80MPH or faster on the Highway. At this point, I'm just baffled as to what could have caused the failure :confused:
Side note: The Jetta was dropped off at Volkswagen this morning and I believe I should get it back sometime tomorrow.
Just curious how many miles others have on their rides since having the Emissions Fix?
I think my DPF is cracked again, 13,000 miles after the first replacement, which was shortly after the fix! No codes yet, but the tailpipe is sooty, and I can smell the exhaust when starting the car and when backing up. Not good.
By the way (and that's why I am replying to this particular post), my driving pattern is pretty similar to GC's: 60 highway miles (+30 city/suburb miles) a day, at up to 80 mph (free flowing standard highway speed now near Chicago, apparently). Maybe the fix cannot handle extended driving above 60 mph, and that's why VW is refusing to apply it in Germany? Speculation, speculation...
At my dealer they have heard nothing about repeated DPF cracking.

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
My wife called me as she left her school last night. The glow plug light was flashing. It's now sitting at the dealer waiting on diagnosis. They speculated that it was probably bad glow plugs but am waiting on a more complete determination.

Update: Here's a copy of my paperwork. MIL codes P2015 (Replaced intake manifold) and P0638 (replaced throttle valve). Best part? All covered under the fix warranty. I've seen an estimate (2017) for P2015 on here for about $850. Anyone have any idea what these two repairs would have cost me out of pocket? SA didn't have that piece of paper in front of him.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/uploads//14398/Jan_2019_repair.pdf

I asked if the intake manifold repair could be related to IC icing and you thought I hit the SA with the idiot stick.

On the P0638 code, it cost me a little over $400 for my local mechanic (not dealership) to fix. Did not realize this would have been included in the emissions fix warranty, or I would have gone to the dealer though...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
On the P0638 code, it cost me a little over $400 for my local mechanic (not dealership) to fix. Did not realize this would have been included in the emissions fix warranty, or I would have gone to the dealer though...
Might see if you can get reimbursed from VW

Nawkanie

TDI
Jetta
I too have a P0638 code popping up. This seems like a recurring trend.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When VW fixed mine, my keys stopped working. Last oil change, I had to get them reprogrammed. None of the quick fixes worked and I don't have a functioning windows laptop to go with my Vag-Com anymore.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Total fail! I finally lifted the hood today to see the stickers they add after the recall to find they didn't even put my airbox back together. The warm air valve had been replaced but they just left the top of the box flopping around. Not very impressed, we drove it for 4 days like that.

Just saw this, but that was exact same condition post-fix for me. Does the fix instructions exclude the step for putting the airbox back together so the tech just doesn't do it? Geez.

Anyways, 6 months later with 57k miles I'm getting a P2015. First time ever. Debating on getting the dealer to fix it (new manifold) or to dieselgeek it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Evidently you guys don't even look at your cars when you get them back. The time to find and report this is when they turn it over to you at the dealer. If you leave the lot with obvious issues present, count yourself as part of the problem. At the very least pop the hood and have them explain what they did and check things before leaving.

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
Mfd consumption accuracy off

My mfd is giving 10% lower fuel consumption than calculated post emissions fix. Anyone else seeing the same?

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Anyways, 6 months later with 57k miles I'm getting a P2015. First time ever. Debating on getting the dealer to fix it (new manifold) or to dieselgeek it.
Do both.

Have the dealer replace it under your extended warranty.

Then put a dieselgeek bracket on so the new intake never fails.

That’s what I did.

13tdigolf87

TDI
2013 golf TDI 4 door
I don’t know much about the drivability of these cars pre fix, but I purchased a used 2013 golf tdi with 15,000 miles on it, got a regen deficiency code a few months ago around 17k miles and the dealer told me I don’t drive it on the highway enough (one week of around town driving, the rest was 20-30 miles highway driving each way to/from work with some good 50+ miles driving each way on the weekends) the dealer made me pay $140 for diagnostics since “the warranty only applies if they replace something” according to them.
Well the car is back at VW at 19,000 miles with what’s confirmed as cracked DPF and clogged egr filter after throwing a p2002 and p0401 earlier this week. So far no issues with the dealer replacing it no questions asked. Makes me wonder though if my initial visit was a bad sensor that they didn’t want to fix, and it eventually led to this...

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP

• What do you mean a "got a regen deficiency code"..what was the code??.look at my previous thread ( pretty much the same thing) just next to yours here..there is some info on this..also in the 2011 jetta thread.. check this out.. a LONG list of customer complaints since "fix".most is UK issues but same thing here in alot of ways... some cars did o/k.. but alot did not.. https://www.driving.co.uk/news/dieselgate-readers-complain-new-issues-vw-fix/

Last edited:

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I don’t know much about the drivability of these cars pre fix, but I purchased a used 2013 golf tdi with 15,000 miles on it, got a regen deficiency code a few months ago around 17k miles and the dealer told me I don’t drive it on the highway enough (one week of around town driving, the rest was 20-30 miles highway driving each way to/from work with some good 50+ miles driving each way on the weekends) the dealer made me pay $140 for diagnostics since “the warranty only applies if they replace something” according to them.
Well the car is back at VW at 19,000 miles with what’s confirmed as cracked DPF and clogged egr filter after throwing a p2002 and p0401 earlier this week. So far no issues with the dealer replacing it no questions asked. Makes me wonder though if my initial visit was a bad sensor that they didn’t want to fix, and it eventually led to this...

The p0401 code came on intermittently for me for quite a while too before it became permanent. I hope you received for a refund for your initial diagnostic payment.

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
What is proper procedure for clearing a "hydrolock"?

About a week ago, had a full blown "hydrolock" on starting 2009 Jetta TDI with 245k. Happened this bad only once before, many yrs ago. The engine stumbled and died on first attempt to start. Subsequent attempt, battery could not turn over engine. Jumped battery in second car but still wouldn't turn over & realized the dreaded slurpy was ingested. After many short bursts on the starter, engine turned over & fired on some of the cylinders & died a few times before it would stay lit. After a while, all smoothed out & no after effects, in fact did an 1800km run up north & back. Battery is in it's 10th year so thought that was the issue until I scrolled back in the memory banks to the previous event.

I am assuming cylinders had only taken in enough liquid to boost compression so high starter motor couldn't turn over the engine.

My measured fuel consumption is up 10% post fix (mfd understates fuel consumption 10%).

Not impressed...

Last edited: