How Do the Dual Mass Flywheels Hold Up In Gasser VW's?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I'm asking because I have to remove one for an engine swap and every nerve in my body is screaming, "Replace the clutch since it is out and possibly that dual mass flywheel". But this being my son's car, and him without a job, I have footed the bill and spent quite a lot already and am very tempted to use the old clutch and flywheel. Its a 2.5 liter 2005.5 Jetta with about 85,000 miles on it. I'll remove the pressure plate as soon as my 6 mm tripple square bit arrives and take a look to see how much clutch friction material is left. He just bought the car used, so I have no idea how the clutch was treated.

Tx.

--Nate

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Did you look at it yet?

I'd probably replace it, but out of fear of the DMF. You'll kick yourself if you have to pull it next year for a grenaded clutch. And I don't think the DMF wears out because of the high-torque of the TDi--I thought it was just part of the design.

But it'd certainly be cheaper to reuse, especially if it's in good shape. Isn't it the bits that hold the mass in place that gives out? I'd think it was inspectable.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Thanks. I'd rather not have the DMF in there. I took the old flywheel off and it has about 10 MM of slop before the springs grab (the dual mass part) and the cluch disk was 65-75 percent used up, I estimate (86,000 miles are on it).

I ended up ordering a solid flywheel with a Sachs VR-6 clutch, as a kit for it. Not much is offered for the 2.5 liter, but this one is supposed to fit. I'll know come the weekend.

I have a single-mass flywheel in my TDI and the rattle is not too bothersome. For a gasoline engine, it should be less.

--Nate

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The rattle is from the clutch disk, not the flywheel. You probably won't have any with the gasser friction disk in the gas car.

-J