2006 Jetta TDI rear main Seal

msmith_9629

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 2006 Jetta and the rear main seal is leaking. I saw that it calls out for a special tool P/N T10134 to help press in the new seal and flange. Has any one done a rear main oil seal replacement without using this tool. I really dont want to spend the 300.00 to use the tool once.

Also anyone have any how to on replacing the rear main seal on the 2006 Jetta.

Thanks

Chimney

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd 275k => '06 Jetta TDI SE DSG (RIP 177k) => '13 Passat TDI SEL Premium
And not to sound too stupid, but what telltale sign would there be if the rear main seal was leaking/compromised on a 100K+ PD (besides the obvious oil stain on the earth below the car)?

For example, would one see a certain trail of oil on the subframe, or would the panzer plate/shield have oil pooled up (or not)? Are owners reporting certain symptoms around failing/failed seals?

TIA

msmith_9629

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
And not to sound too stupid, but what telltale sign would there be if the rear main seal was leaking/compromised on a 100K+ PD (besides the obvious oil stain on the earth below the car)?

For example, would one see a certain trail of oil on the subframe, or would the panzer plate/shield have oil pooled up (or not)? Are owners reporting certain symptoms around failing/failed seals?

TIA
Mine had oil around the outside of it and inside the bellhousing in trans there was oil all around it.