2005.5 Jetta TDI 0-60 w/DSG

ConcordTDI

TDI
Jetta, 2005, Black
Ok, before ANYONE flames me, yes I did used the search function and I've gone up and down this forum 3 times and can't find anything.

I've seen countless MPG posts but not ONE solid 0-60 post. No I don't have one yet, I've test driven the TDI, I do like it, but everytime the damn dealer comes along and throws me throught the subdivisions, ugh, can't really get a feel for it.

I know it's sacreligious to most when discussing 0-60 in a TDI, but come on! Anyone have the actual number? Can some one find a flat "SAFE" road somewhere, put DSG in sport mode and just tramp on the pedal and time the beast to 60mph? Please?

And no I'm not asking because I'm a "ricer", and DON'T tell me that it doesn't matter in day to day driving, I know, but it would be still very interesting to know.

P.S. My last car was a KIA Sportage, so you know I'm not stirring up trouble with this post since that tanker took 12.5 secs and I thought it would fall apart

WillR

Veteran Member
I can't see how the 0-60 with the DSG can be more then the manual. In fact I bet its faster because it has 6 gears and the manual is 5. Plus the fact it uses a clutch (no torque convertor) plus it shifts itsself far faster then most people can with a manual its got to be quicker.

Not that its much of a compairson, When I follow my wife with my 98 tdi, I have to run WOT when I follow her through highway on ramps just to keep up, and she is not running WOT.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
Not that its much of a compairson, When I follow my wife with my 98 tdi, I have to run WOT when I follow her through highway on ramps just to keep up, and she is not running WOT.
You too? I knew there was a reason why we played "Legs" at our wedding. She's got legs, and she knows how to use them...

I guess the legs in this case are those provided by the A5

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
The published spec is 10.5 seconds for the manual and 10.6 seconds for the DSG. Those are VW numbers so add a second to get real world numbers. 11 seconds feels about right.

Chris

ConcordTDI

TDI
Jetta, 2005, Black
Ah!! I finally found the U.S. PDF's for the new Jetta. The Canadian site did not have the numbers. Just incase anyone is interested:

Model Auto Manual
N Jetta TDI 11.6 11.5
N Jetta 2.5L 9.1
Golf 4dr 2.0L 11.7 10.4
Golf 2dr 2.0L 11.3 10.1
Passat TDI 10.2
Beetle 2.0L 11.5 10.2
Beetle 1.8T 9.0 8.2

Hmm, I'm driving a Golf 2.0L right now, the Jetta TDI would be right on par with it. Yeah, I can see it now, it's ok for city driving, but any kind of acceleration (on ramps) its a little slow. I really wonder how much time a chip and/or nozzles can shave off.

saboteur: If they sold the Golf 2.0TDI up here in Canada under the new 2006 platform I'd buy that in no-time.

Oh man what a decision. I really do love the DSG technology, but I need to buy before the end of September.

hmmm TDI, 2.5L, TDI, 2.5L?????

TBD

TDI
2005.5, Jetta TDI, platinum
I've never attempted to clock it, but I suspect that the 0-60 time suffers because the TDI DSG stumbles out of the gate---it is sometimes hesitant to get going from a stop, and kind of sluggish until you get above 2000 rpm. Once it gets wound up, it accelerates pretty well. While it does okay around town (sport mode's kind of fun), it's power band seems well-suited for the open road; it cruises easily at speed, accelerates well from 20 mph to 60 mph on on ramps, and shines going up hill at altitude (even better coming down). These are my seat-of-the pants impressions, but my other cars are also slow. If you have a "need for speed" from 0-60, you may be disappointed with the TDI.

CAATS_Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Pkg2, ESP, DSG, & 8 airbags
Your description of the DSG TDI didn't match my experiences on two test drives. I found the DSG smoooth in Drive and suprisingly peppy in Sport. I'd heard the DSG could be jerky in stop-and-go traffic but found it worked flawlessly during my drives. I was impressed.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
I love my TDI with DSG trans. Lately, I have used sport mode on occasion and it is great, really brings the rpm's up speeding you along. Great car. BUY NOW!

tdiomaha

TDI
Jetta, 2005.5, silver
I have had the same experience with it being sluggish off the line. We traded in an 02 Manual TDI for the DSG 05.5 TDI. Is this normal, or just what to expect with the DSG? after 2nd it shifts like a charm. It almost has a 1 second delay from pushing the gas pedal to accelerating in both sport and regular mode.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
It almost has a 1 second delay from pushing the gas pedal to accelerating in both sport and regular mode.
That's you're problem, your using gas.

I don't understand why the DSG would have a delay from a stop. The manuals don't have such a delay, they just go after the clutch engages and the accelerator is depressed. Zoom-Zoom-Zoom. Oh wait that's Mazda. Da-Da-Da. Much better.

A5JETTA

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan 2006 Blue
The delay may be due to the totally new method in which the automatic transmission works--DSG. Just throwing that out there.

I think whether a car seems to accelerate quickly or not is all in what you are used to. I drive a 1989 Ford F150 with the stead-fast 300ci, I6. I bet I'll think the new Jetta TDI is a rocket.

Just some other performance numbers sent to me by my dealer:

0-60 (11.5 manual, 11.6 DSG) confirms the prior post.
Top Speed (115 manual, 114 DSG) electronically controlled.
Fuel economy (36/41 manual, 35/42 DSG)
Horsepower/Torque (100/177 manual and DSG)
Curb weight -- can't remember the numbers, but the manual was just under 3200 lbs and the DSG was just over 3200 lbs. I think the difference was eighty to ninety pounds; all on the front axle, of course.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
Fuel economy (36/41 manual, 35/42 DSG)
Another dealer who doesn't know his product...

Mine window sticker says 36/43. I don't know how this can be different since the EPA puts out the numbers.

A5JETTA

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan 2006 Blue
I would trust the sticker on the fuel economy thing as far as the EPA is concerned. These fuel economy specs surprised me too. I think the numbers I have may be VWs own numbers which are probably closer to accurate than the EPAs dream-world numbers. The EPA may have told VW two different sets of numbers for DSG and manual and then posted some, off-the-wall stuff on the sticker. The EPA does some weird fuel economy reporting.

A5JETTA

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan 2006 Blue
Oh. I thought of one more thing. The specs I have are for 2006. I've seen the EPA numbers slightly change from year to year on the same vehicles with model carryovers. I guess the EPA tests them every year and sometimes gets different results. I've noticed these changes alot with the full-size pickup trucks. Ford's 4.6 V8 hasn't been the same for two years in a row since it came out. I know that Ford tinkers with the engine from time to time, but I think it has more to do with the crazy EPA.

You can't blame the dealer for this one. He has nothing to do with the posted EPA sticker.