www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 26th, 2020, 10:47   #1
Deisel
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisiana
Default A/C got a mind of its own

For some reason the AC has decided it will just do what it wants to do, when you turn it on it might come on it might not. If you leave it on sometimes the fan will begin to blow after a few min or so then randomly go off


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Deisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 11:23   #2
relumalutan
Veteran Member
 
relumalutan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Default

If you would have searched this forum, you would have found out that it is a common issue: RCV valve in the AC compressor.
__________________
relumalutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 13:04   #3
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member
 
JSWTDI09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Default

Lots of info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284611

Have Fun!

Don
__________________
2009 Jetta SportWagen TDI (gone but not forgotten)
2018 VW Tiguan SE (I wish it was a TDI)
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 13:07   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deisel View Post
For some reason the AC has decided it will just do what it wants to do, when you turn it on it might come on it might not. If you leave it on sometimes the fan will begin to blow after a few min or so then randomly go off


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clarify: the BLOWER (which is a separate component) or the AIR CONDITIONER, are not working?

If the air conditioner is not cooling, or not cooling quickly enough, then yes that is likely the very common RCV as already mentioned. But that would have nothing at all to do with the blower operation.

In any event, the Climate system has OBD, it is always helpful to start with that.
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 13:07   #5
DivineChaos
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: gets cold here
Default

like it changing from high speed to nil. the actual fan speed changing? or the temperature? like the a/c compressor itself is turned on and off?


if its the latter, its a very common issue. waiting for it to warm up before replacing mine. dealer will replace the whole pump only for the problem to re-appear. its caused by the cheap solenoid valve on the pump they use. order the valve and go to a good shop. (not the dealer) tell them that you need the freon pumped out, this stupid valve on the pump replaced and it to be recharged. If you have the tools you could do it yourself.

Last edited by DivineChaos; February 26th, 2020 at 13:10.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 13:09   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
very common issue. waiting for it to warm up before replacing mine. dealer will replace the whole pump only for the problem to re-appear. its caused by the cheap solenoid valve on the pump they use. order the valve and go to a good shop. (not the dealer) tell them that you need the freon pumped out, this stupid valve on the pump replaced and it to be recharged. If you have the tools you could do it yourself.

Or you could just inform the dealer of the TSB regarding this... which specifically states do NOT replace the entire compressor, but just the RCV itself.

Funny how VOLKSWAGEN dealers often need to be spoon fed publications FROM VOLKSWAGEN in order to service VOLKSWAGEN products properly.
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 13:16   #7
DivineChaos
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: gets cold here
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Or you could just inform the dealer of the TSB regarding this... which specifically states do NOT replace the entire compressor, but just the RCV itself.
Funny how VOLKSWAGEN dealers often need to be spoon fed publications FROM VOLKSWAGEN in order to service VOLKSWAGEN products properly.
yeah. most of the time they say the compressor is going bad. had them even tell me they could not replace just the valve. did not realise the TSB on it. a new pump was not cheap. Even talked to the very knowledgeable tech about it. showed him the valve after i changed it. would have been 1500 for them to replace the pump. I did it for less than 200. includes buying the vac, gauges, freon, oil, and the rcv.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 18:47   #8
Deisel
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Clarify: the BLOWER (which is a separate component) or the AIR CONDITIONER, are not working?



If the air conditioner is not cooling, or not cooling quickly enough, then yes that is likely the very common RCV as already mentioned. But that would have nothing at all to do with the blower operation.



In any event, the Climate system has OBD, it is always helpful to start with that.


The blower fan, the controls say it should be on high but no fan then sometimes it will come on and work fine


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 20:04   #9
DivineChaos
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: gets cold here
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deisel View Post
The blower fan, the controls say it should be on high but no fan then sometimes it will come on and work fine


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ah, that is different. do you have vag com? It could be a bad connection to the motor, your control going bad, or the motor itself going bad.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2020, 03:07   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

So the A/C is not at all the issue.

Most likely the blower or the speed control, does it work all the time when switched to high speed? Does your car have full Climatronic or the standard HVAC control?
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2020, 08:12   #11
Deisel
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
So the A/C is not at all the issue.



Most likely the blower or the speed control, does it work all the time when switched to high speed? Does your car have full Climatronic or the standard HVAC control?


Full climate control, and it doesn’t work all the time on high. It also doesn’t seem to be a short as it will come on periodically if you leave it on even when the car is parked so no bumps jarring a wire.
The ac and heat is working from the thermostat all the time because when your driving down the road there is a bit of air being forced through the vents and you can control the temp.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Deisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2020, 21:36   #12
Deisel
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisiana
Default

Bump


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2020, 23:03   #13
DivineChaos
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: gets cold here
Default

not really sure how the climotronic system works. does it act like this while it being full hot or cold? I know they have a temp sensor and regulate the heat. Have you tried reading codes with vcds?
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2020, 06:05   #14
Deisel
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
not really sure how the climotronic system works. does it act like this while it being full hot or cold? I know they have a temp sensor and regulate the heat. Have you tried reading codes with vcds?


No access to VCDS it does act like this at full hot or cold when manually selected high fan speed and anything in between. The only thing I did notice is when it comes on sometimes when fan speed is left on half and you turn the ac up or heat up it when the thermostat tells it to go to full speed it will come on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2020, 14:38   #15
DivineChaos
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: gets cold here
Default

my first sudgestion would be to find someone in your area with vag com to read it. otherwise your chasing your tail. it could be a number of issues and a generic reader will not tell you what it is. or a guru in your area.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mind = blown. snakeye VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 2 August 17th, 2012 17:04
throttle has mind of its own bpalmer VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 5 January 2nd, 2005 17:34
A mind of its own??? cmitchell VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 0 June 3rd, 2003 22:20
never mind get it some were else iamasaint Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 7 August 23rd, 2001 01:15
Never mind DeafBug Fuels & Lubricants 0 May 22nd, 2001 10:24


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16993 seconds with 12 queries
[Output: 126.42 Kb. compressed to 105.45 Kb. by saving 20.97 Kb. (16.59%)]