www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old December 9th, 2019, 14:36   #1
drinkenbuddie

Default 2005 TDI Jetta Wagon Transmission issue

I usually change the transmission oil with mobile one ATF but Walmart didnít have
It so put something else in. Big mistake. Now it has to warm up to shift and will shift down too. Running in second only until warm. Been trying to get it back out of there 4 quarts at a time but thinking that I canít. So always waiting somewhere for it to warm up to shift. Once warm works perfect too. It has 265,000 trouble free miles on it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?
drinkenbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 03:34   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You probably have a bad ATF temp sensor. Check the TCM for DTCs, and check the temp data and see if it jives with what it should be.

The sensor is part of the internal harness, and is located in a spot that requires the transmission come apart (silly Japanese). However, you can get a new harness with sensor, and splice the new sensor into the existing harness and just mount it next to the valve body somewhere. It won't really care so long as it is sending the TCM a correct signal.

You may also want to check, via scan tool, BOTH sides of the coolant temp sensor (CTS), as the TCM is supposed to use THAT signal in the event of a loss of ATF temp. However, if your ATF sensor is still working but simply sending the WRONG value, then it won't think to disregard it and plug in a less goofy input value.

Last edited by oilhammer; December 10th, 2019 at 03:36.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 06:50   #3
drinkenbuddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
You probably have a bad ATF temp sensor. Check the TCM for DTCs, and check the temp data and see if it jives with what it should be.

The sensor is part of the internal harness, and is located in a spot that requires the transmission come apart (silly Japanese). However, you can get a new harness with sensor, and splice the new sensor into the existing harness and just mount it next to the valve body somewhere. It won't really care so long as it is sending the TCM a correct signal.

You may also want to check, via scan tool, BOTH sides of the coolant temp sensor (CTS), as the TCM is supposed to use THAT signal in the event of a loss of ATF temp. However, if your ATF sensor is still working but simply sending the WRONG value, then it won't think to disregard it and plug in a less goofy input value.
I canít believe this issue is caused by a sensor and not the transmission fluid? It started when I put the wrong ATF fluid in. I hate to throw more money at it but itís such a great car.
Old December 11th, 2019, 06:53   #4
drinkenbuddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkenbuddie View Post
I canít believe this issue is caused by a sensor and not the transmission fluid? It started when I put the wrong ATF fluid in. I hate to throw more money at it but itís such a great car.
I can just wait for it to warm up too. I just hate waiting when leaving work but not working much now but hospital is a mess and seem to always work more than I want.
Old December 11th, 2019, 07:04   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Well nobody can believe anything until somebody spends a few minutes with a scan tool connected to the car, so....
Old December 16th, 2019, 15:15   #6
drinkenbuddie

I had a scan tool are the thing to hook up my laptop but canít find it.
Old February 26th, 2020, 14:22   #7
drinkenbuddie

Talking

Ok did a few searches and found out what was wrong and fixed it. Yeah
Replaced the N92 solenoid. Wasnít to bad.
I have been changing my transmission fluid and was using Mobile one and then went to the mercon 5 and swear thatís what messed it up but maybe itís miles. 265,000 and counting. Cost 5 quarts at 10 bucks a quart and gasket seal 8 bucks and N92 solenoid 30 bucks. Time is of and essence so who knows but wish I would have done it earlier to be not messing up my car. Drives and shifting like a dream.
Thanks All!!
Old February 26th, 2020, 14:25   #8
drinkenbuddie

Got my scan thing to work but won’t clear codes. Ross tech light.
Yes it is throwing the transmission temp code.
Old February 26th, 2020, 14:26   #9
drinkenbuddie

So why did the N92 Solenoid fix it. ???
Old February 26th, 2020, 14:29   #10
drinkenbuddie

Ex girlfriend stole the old laptop with windows xp. Go figure. That’s why I couldn’t scan. But down loaded the new version and working.