www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 13th, 2019, 17:19   #1
ebain21

Default DPF failure data collection

My 2012 Golf TDI is currently at the dealer getting the DPF replaced under the extended emissions warranty and after reading the forums here, it got me thinking: how many people have had their DPFs fail pre and post dieselgate “emissions fix” and at how many miles? It seems like there have been a ton of people on the forum with this happening and frankly I’m curious if it’s going to trigger another recall or if VW is going to do anything about it.

So, I’d love to do some data analysis and see if we can draw correlations for mileage, mileage since modification/fix, year, model, and transmission type. Yes, yes there are a million factors but I want to keep it simple. If you’ve had multiple fail, list mileage between and if you had one fail pre dieselgate I’d love that data too. I’ll start!

Golf
6 speed manual
65,100 miles total
26,200 miles post fix
ebain21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 18:37   #2
CarlosF

2010 Golf TDI Sportwagen, DSG.
The emissions fix was done Dec. 5th, 2017 at 72,500 miles.
DPF replaced at 105,000 miles.
CarlosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 18:49   #3
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW
Fuel Economy: First ever MPG calculation 38.1

How are they failing? I’ve heard of cracked DPFs
CheapBastard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 19:24   #4
ebain21

That’s what I mean. Cracked/failed/determined by software and/or VW that it needs to be replaced.
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:16   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I wound't say a "ton" of them have failed. I have read of some though. They are covered by the extended warranty so I don't really see the point as they will be replaced for free within the warranty period.
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:25   #6
ebain21

Maybe it's the baader-meinhof effect then, but it seems like one of the most common issues post-fix. The part is backordered and I have seen wait times anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the part, so it seems pretty common. I'm at a week and a half with a loaner Tiguan. I'm simply curious and want to see if there are correlations. If I'm going to have to replace multiple of these, then this car is gone after the emissions warranty is up.
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:56   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Just gets more airplay as the other things aren't interesting. I would say they don't have them on hand as they don't change many and don't want to stock them needlessly. VW corp probably has some control over this too. Most people would agree with you on getting rid of the car or deleting if this is an issue after warranty.
Old August 16th, 2019, 10:09   #8
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

researched a little...mileage was 53,700 on fix date..7200 miles later ( odo at 60900) dpf failed ( difference of 7200 miles)...new one installed.. .drove appr. 7000 miles (odo at 67900) and it failed again!. ..guess what?? Failing right at 7000 miles! ..coincidence??..C'mon...REALLY?..soo I should have another 7000 miles till it fails again..unless SOMETHING is "FIXED"
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote