www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 12th, 2019, 17:20   #16
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARL97850 View Post
I changed the title of the thread a little by adding the Q5 into the mix.

I don't have a Q5 in the TDI anywhere close by to test drive, but I did take a 2016 Q5 for a test drive to see if my BIG butt fits or not. Lol

The Q5 is a much closer comparison to the Touareg.
I didn't mind it at all. It has a tighter turning radius than the Touareg...I realize that Q5 is shorter in wheel base by a few inches but I didn't expect it to turn that much tighter.

So now what do the masses say when comparing the Touareg & the Q5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Q5 is definitely much more geared for on road duty. It's also about 600 lbs lighter than the Touareg (if we're comparing the later 240 horse V6 with the 8 speed auto). The chassis is effectively a tall bodied, lifted A4 wagon. Uses the Audi virtual steering axis suspension up front just like the A4/5/6/7/8 uses. The Porsche Macan is the same as the Q5. Definitely a smaller, more nimble vehicle than the Touareg/Cayenne.

The Q5 with the diesel is surprisingly quick.
Old August 13th, 2019, 07:52   #17
Radman
Veteran Member

Are you going to be towing? If so how much weight? The Touareg has a much higher tow capacity rating than the Q5 if that is important to you? Rear seating and hatch space will be more cramped in the Q5. Otherwise if you want the more sporty feel the Q5 is probably the way to go.
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:56   #18
EARL97850
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

Most of the use will be commuting to & from work as well as little getaways...not to mention the longer drives of some vacations.
If there is any towing involved it would be light and not more than 2500 to 2700 lbs.
EARL97850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 12:35   #19
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARL97850 View Post
Most of the use will be commuting to & from work as well as little getaways...not to mention the longer drives of some vacations.
If there is any towing involved it would be light and not more than 2500 to 2700 lbs.
If you're not going on any trails and don't need the bigger space of the Touareg/Cayenne or extra space the Q7 has, then yeah, the Q5 is a good choice. It is rated to tow more than 5000 lbs.

Should get slightly better fuel economy and will be quite quick.
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:11   #20
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The Q5's accessory (Oris) hitch is rated for 4210 pounds. I just looked at one in the shop that I installed. 2000 kg.
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:25   #21
EARL97850
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

If and when I might....maybe get around to getting a pair of jet skis that would be the object that is being towed. LOL

It is going to be a daily commuter vehicle as well as a long distance vacation drive vehicle.

Last edited by EARL97850; August 14th, 2019 at 07:28.
EARL97850 is offline   Reply With Quote