www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 13th, 2019, 12:30   #1
Dan99TDI

Default Oil pressure issue

Hey tdi'ers
My new-to-me 98 jetta tdi flashed the oil light at me this morning. I pulled off and checked it, and it had the correct amount of oil, which I just put in 1500 miles ago or so, full syn 5w-40 Castrol which was supposed to meet 505.00

I restarted it and had no light, so I gingerly got back going and it seemed to be going fine, until I had to slow down a little, and at 2100 rpm, the light started flashing again, but I was accelerating and by the time I hit 2200 it went away.

After this, I watched closely for it and it didn't show up again for the rest of the 20 highway miles, but as I took the exit for work it beeped twice as I decelerated through 2000 rpm. As soon as I down shifted it went away.

I just had to replace the oil pressure sender on the filter housing because it had cracked and leaked oil.

I'm wondering if this is a known artifact, considering it is a very narrow rpm range? Or perhaps the first sign of a failing pump?

If it makes a difference, it's almost 100f out here.

Edit : 230k miles

Last edited by Dan99TDI; August 13th, 2019 at 12:37.
Dan99TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 12:36   #2
Phi1osopher

I don't know if it is a known issue or not, but it should be reasonably easy to connect an oil pressure diagnostic tool to monitor actual pressure.

I have this one from Harbor Freight, and it seems to work well for me, though I've not yet had to use it on a VW.

https://www.harborfreight.com/Engine...Kit-62621.html
Phi1osopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 17:40   #3
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

this has happened to me MANY TIMES, an air bubble or something gets in front of the transducer or its bad right off the shelf. #1 thing you should do before even driving it or spending any more $ is putting a oil psi gauge on it. you can easily plumb one on to the oil feed line to the turbo with a braided line to replace the hard line or where the transducer is now. either way, you want to verify that the oil is pumping around at a good psi. after that, you can mess with stuff and rest assured that no damage was done.
it should not matter even if its 120F outside, the oil is doing its job and cars would not last long if oil didnt work well on a 100*day
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote