I wake up Saturday morning...

meekats

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
...to find out all my oil leaked , on the passanger side. It drove just fine on Friday night. Don't know where it's coming from (nowhere visible from above). Very nice! 2.5 years old - 109,000KM and and oil leak! Argh!!! Towed it to the dealer, should know today or tomorrow what the hell is going on!

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Here's to hope that its something simple, maybe a crank seal and not something major like Kirvus had!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
How much oil are we talkeing here?

I know a waek point in these cars (one of many) where the plastic shroud wears a hole in the front of the intercooler. If you had a large accumulation of oil in your intercooler, its possible it all leaked out of a hole created by the shroud. I've seen it before. Intercoolers can easily accululaue a quart of oil over 100k. Where exactly was the puddle in relation to the engine? if it was at the very front passenger side corner, that is your likely suspect. It could also be from the IC piping as well if there is a crack or if the lower hose popped off.

Good luck and let us know what the dealer finds.

BTW, if it is the intercooler, they will want to charge you about $300 or more for a new one + labor. There are 2 for sale right now on E-bay for less than half that.

meekats

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Nothing. Just picked it up, $480CDN!!! I don't think they should've charged me for 2.5hrs of labor. Had I known that was the problem it would've been a different story.

It cracked right underneath the drain plug. I did not have my digi cam with me so I couldn't take any pictures.

The crack is right in between the label and the drain plug, a bit closer to the drain plug.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ouch. If it was just a crack, it could have easily been repaired. JB weld is amazing stuff. My oil pan is covered in it
. But at least with a new one on now, you will not have to worry about any patchwork failing. Now you just need a better skidplate so that it doesn't happen again.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Ouch. If it was just a crack, it could have easily been repaired. JB weld is amazing stuff. My oil pan is covered in it
. But at least with a new one on now, you will not have to worry about any patchwork failing. Now you just need a better skidplate so that it doesn't happen again.
Along this line, get the old oil pan from the dealership. Take it to a local shop, have them clean it up and weld the crack. Then if for some reason it happens again you've got a spare ready to go, probably for much cheaper than another new pan will cost.

Y2KBuggy

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 2005, gray; 2000, yellow
Clean it yourself... don't forget to lubricate after. I have a "spare" oil pan with a non-VW drain plug (machine shop down the road retapped and installed parts-house- purchased oversized drain plug (they make them for just about every car except VW). Total cost: $35 and a little of my time.

Y2K Buggy

My Y2K bug is buggy!