DPF failure data collection

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
My 2012 Golf TDI is currently at the dealer getting the DPF replaced under the extended emissions warranty and after reading the forums here, it got me thinking: how many people have had their DPFs fail pre and post dieselgate “emissions fix” and at how many miles? It seems like there have been a ton of people on the forum with this happening and frankly I’m curious if it’s going to trigger another recall or if VW is going to do anything about it.

So, I’d love to do some data analysis and see if we can draw correlations for mileage, mileage since modification/fix, year, model, and transmission type. Yes, yes there are a million factors but I want to keep it simple. If you’ve had multiple fail, list mileage between and if you had one fail pre dieselgate I’d love that data too. I’ll start!

Golf
6 speed manual
65,100 miles total
26,200 miles post fix

CarlosF

TDI
2010 GSW TDI DSG Blue Graphite
2010 Golf TDI Sportwagen, DSG.
The emissions fix was done Dec. 5th, 2017 at 72,500 miles.
DPF replaced at 105,000 miles.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
That’s what I mean. Cracked/failed/determined by software and/or VW that it needs to be replaced.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I wound't say a "ton" of them have failed. I have read of some though. They are covered by the extended warranty so I don't really see the point as they will be replaced for free within the warranty period.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Maybe it's the baader-meinhof effect then, but it seems like one of the most common issues post-fix. The part is backordered and I have seen wait times anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the part, so it seems pretty common. I'm at a week and a half with a loaner Tiguan. I'm simply curious and want to see if there are correlations. If I'm going to have to replace multiple of these, then this car is gone after the emissions warranty is up.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just gets more airplay as the other things aren't interesting. I would say they don't have them on hand as they don't change many and don't want to stock them needlessly. VW corp probably has some control over this too. Most people would agree with you on getting rid of the car or deleting if this is an issue after warranty.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
researched a little...mileage was 53,700 on fix date..7200 miles later ( odo at 60900) dpf failed ( difference of 7200 miles)...new one installed.. .drove appr. 7000 miles (odo at 67900) and it failed again!. ..guess what?? Failing right at 7000 miles! ..coincidence??..C'mon...REALLY?:rolleyes:..soo I should have another 7000 miles till it fails again..unless SOMETHING is "FIXED":D:D

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
2012 TDI Sportwagen with DSG
- Fix at 83000 miles
- Cracked DPF & clogged EGR filter replaced 1500 miles later
- Exhaust soot observed 12000 miles later, and
Cracked DPF & clogged EGR filter replaced 13000 miles after previous replacement
- Exhaust seems sooty again 9000 miles later (at 106k miles)

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
That seems like something else is broken. I would want to get Volkswagen involved in figuring out a root cause rather than doing a DPF every six months.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
currently got a 2012 jetta .... dpf failed car has 44k on it.. sitting at local vw dealer going on 3 weeks now... and no end in sight... saying its on backorder...waiting on dpf replacement.... dealer in Wausau can't get part, say its on order block, on backorder.. Been getting several codes related to DPF, plus they discovered my Turbo went out. They so far replaced my Turbo, Coolant Fans, and something else.. forgot... just waiting on the DPF, Been without my car almost a month sitting there.... driving a loaner........had it back a week then had to bring it back as the original problem i found wasnt fixed.. they fix the turbo and nothing else.. but what about the dpf codes? so they take it back.. half week later.. yup.. dpf and related components are bad.. but bad news is on order block... cant order.. its on backorder.. so.... might be a while... hmmm... sigh....

Last edited:

Sima

TDI
Audi
Mine has had multiple issues as well. The dealers are super secretive and do not tell you exactly what they are doing and at time, do not know themselves ( I think !!)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This was a common failure pre-Fix. Of course it will be worse afterwards. There was a TSB about it. If you have sooty tailpipes, your DPF has cracked.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
My DPF light came on a few weeks ago, about 2 weeks before my 90K service. The dealer said to just leave it alone unless it started running poorly. A few days later it went into what I assume is limp mode, not much power, seemed like turbo wasn't kicking in, hard to get above 35 mph or so. I brought it in the next day and they said it just needed a forced regen. Light came on again a few days before the 90K service, then went out again. I told them when I took it for service and again they said it was fine.

This morning, about halfway to work, it lost power again (limp mode?). I'm bringing it in tomorrow and they also said if it needs a new DPF it may take a while due to back order. My mileage has suffered lately and I'm assuming it's because of the same problem. Maybe I'll mention the thermostat to them when I drop it off tomorrow. Thanks for all the useful info!

It's a 2015 Golf TDI with about 90K miles on it. I got it used at around 39K miles after selling my 2011 back to them.

Miked914

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
My car, 2013 Jetta Sportwagon, no mods, 144K, Recall done at about 98k.
I'm getting really frustrated. DPF and Check Engine light have come on numerous times. Car has been back to dealer eight times since recall was done. The third or forth time they did replace the DPF on the recommendation of the So.Cal. VW Tech. Dealership has had to call him out all 8 times, so my car has is there 10-14 days each time. They said nothing was wrong with DPF but changed it anyway because it wouldn't regen or computer wouldn't reset.

So far I have new Cat, new NoX Cat, New NoX sensor, EGT sensor, new DPF, new EGR valve, new Intake Manifold, and I can't even remember what else. All free of course and a free loaner car, but this last trip they told the warranty is up 148K... They also didn't fix it. I was told they needed to "Overlay" wires from the EGT to the computer, (for $400 I said no) wire harness is not covered under any warranty anymore. I took it home and reset code myself, has not come back on, been 6 weeks.

I asked if they checked wire harness for continuity and they said no, all testing is done through OBD port. I asked "how do you know that's what's wrong?", no answer, just "That's what we were told to do..." - Thanks VW...
I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this car...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sounds like you are short tripping it or driving in stop and go traffic all the time. If so that is a huge problem for these cars unless you take an active role in ensuring you drive it so it can regen when it is supposed to. Might be time to look for a different one.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Out of five common rail TDI cars I have owned, I have only had one DPF crack and that is on my current vehicle. 2013 Golf purchased CPO around 44k miles and the DPF cracked about 20k miles later. Text my service advisor a picture of my black finger after swiping the exhaust and he ordered a DPF and EGR filter for me without question. A day or two before I brought it in for the replacement....it finally through threw a code.

I do 100 miles per day, and I let the regens complete before shutting off the engine if they are in progress.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Sounds like you are short tripping it or driving in stop and go traffic all the time. If so that is a huge problem for these cars unless you take an active role in ensuring you drive it so it can regen when it is supposed to. Might be time to look for a different one.
I hear this over and over... this statement irritates me.. most people buy this car because of the great fuel mileage and the dependability of the engine.. to say "well your not driving it right, therefore you will have problems".. good grief.. who would have known?? I'm sorry but I just don't except that reasoning..Not from what VW advertised to the public when these cars were for advertised and sale new>> GO FIGURE!.. I don't recall seeing ANY warnings about " please let the regen. finish or your car will have 2500.00 + of damage done to it"...good grief again.. This is not the buyers responsibility to monitor this.. and never was.. for the uniformed ..which is most buyers..like most wifes or the "accountant/banker/sales person/most people type buyer and NEWBIES here" This type of car sounded GREAT for someone that wanted dependability and MPG's!..But WAIT..I must monitor regens! or it will cost tons of cash! I digress....

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Whether it irritates you or was disclosed by VW doesn't negate that it can be an issue and cause problems for those who do it. VW did mention it in one of their catalogs or some such for some small island that wasn't big enough for regens to occur. It is posted here somewhere from long ago.

If you want to short trip the car and have continual problems with it then fine keep on keeping on. Or you can take an active role and insure the regens occur when needed. Or knowing of this issue now sell the darn car and get something else that doesn't present this issue. Complaining to me about posting about the issue won't get you anything. I am just trying to inform those who don't know for what ever reason that this can happen. Now go down to your dealer or call VW and have it out with them.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
For me personally..I have let it always finish its regen..also monitor with vcds and s.g.II...I own a shop and have told others to do the same.. well after the 3rd dpf for me ( and fighting for them with VW and only 20,000 + - miles since fix) and others that also "follow the regens" have come to the conclusion that nothing will prevent the failures..with the emissions warranty we all don't want to "hit a pothole"... YET!..seems the pothole is the only solution for now..LOL!.. But alas !..that time will come!

Last edited:

Miked914

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
Thanks Forest and light flyer. I have heard this all before. of course there will be some short trips in a car. Especially on the weekends. But on weekdays, I drive about 80 miles a day round trip to work and home. In the morning 65 miles per hour except for the last 10 miles, which is stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes. In the evening on the way home it's 80 miles an hour for 40 miles. Seems like plenty of time for the DPF to regenerate.
what gets me is I never had one problem with this car until after the recall was done.
Question, how do I know when the DPF is in regeneration mode?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If at idle it idles a tiny bit faster. At any speed no real way of telling with some kind of gauge. I use the VagDpf app.

It may or may not work for you. Try all engine combos to see what you get. The app developer is out of the US and needs a car to test with so any further updates for the US are not going to happen, he says. Some may work all or partially for your car. The CVCA seems to work fine though. Other wise there is the Torque app and it will need some work and coding to set it up. VCDS also works but you don't want to drive around with a laptop plugged into your car I would imagine. Just because you hit those speeds doesn't mean a regen will happen. They happen when the soot load get around 24 grams or so, not before. Generally speaking I have about 2 per tank or every 230 or so miles. The VagDpf app is the best for monitoring this kind of thing. I have it on whenever I am driving and never interrupt a regen in progress.

vince1990

TDI
2009 Sportwagen TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen

[FONT=&quot]194K total miles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]38K post modification[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At dealer now - they've had it 11 days trying to figure out what is wrong
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DPF light[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Replacing glow plug module for 3rd time since modification[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Replacing the catalytic converter as well
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Replaced EGR at about 20K post modification[/FONT][/FONT]

dmikucki

TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
2012 JSW, emissions fix was done Jan 2019, car got CEL in Oct 2019 maybe 4k later. Dropped car off at VW Mid November for cracked DPF to be replacement- found out there is a shortage nationwide on these parts. been over a month and a half in a loaner. just talked to a VW rep and it seems like all DPF orders should be shipped to dealers by the 2nd week of Jan 2020.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
To add, If you get a check engine light and a exhaust sensor is bad, get it changed fast, The car wont regen and the DPF will start to accumulate and if it goes over a percentage it will not regen due to a fire hazard. My friend had it happen, but was able to do a cleaning and forced a regen. otherwise it was $5k to install one. (pre fix) god knows they will try to get outta a post fix repair.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
VW will have an awfully tough time weaseling out of warranty r&r of failed dpf's. The dirty/sooty calibration they flashed into the ecu to reduce NOx emissions is absolutely going to reduce dpf service life. I think they will mostly focus their shifty warranty evading tactics onto non emissions components. They may end up wishing they had just bought back all the cars and crushed them.

Izuk

TDI
00' nb tdi
Dpf

Bought my 11' dsg "fixed" tdi sptwgn with 146k on it, check engine light came on after a couple k miles for dpf below threshold. Proper steps for regen have not helped, car now has dpf light on all the time and codes for that, egr, and intake.

It went to the dealer a few weeks ago for diagnosis. They told me they had to order the parts, new intake and dpf, they returned my call today to tell me the dpf is on backorder with over 2k of them.

So,, i guess i just keep driving the car till it goes into limp mode.

Car now has 156k

Ann

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
See my thread here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5568127#post5568127

Fix done Sept 2017 @ 124,168
Dec 2019 139,343 miles, throws P0544 code and clogs DPF while awaiting sensor part (car was performing active regens)
Jan 22, 2020 I'm notified by dealer (I'm in St Augustine FL when this happened - I'm a resident of Maine) that it needs a new DPF and might be in by April
(More gory details in my post linked above)

I ended up trading in my wagon (valued at 3k) for a used car - dealer remarkably has my wagon listed for sale on their website the following day.

In talking with VW customer care this afternoon, I was told THERE IS A NATIONWIDE BACKORDER FOR DPFs AND THEY DONT KNOW WHEN THEY WILL SHIP.

Last edited: