MK7 - DIY thread

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
door check stop mod

Why VW decided to put only a single door check stop at an unusable position (too narrow) with the only other position wide open ("bang against the car parked next to you") is beyond me. Here is how to change to a 2 position Jetta check stop: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31902

And a couple of door panel removal links to access the check stop:
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-front-door-trim-removal/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ec7td257...ding Mirror Install - Golf R '16 MK7.pdf?dl=0

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Westfalia Trailer Hitch and Trailer Wiring
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478382

How to make your inner tails behave just like your outer taillights.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478893

Full-size spare trim piece
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478377

Not mine, but a good link for VCDS coding info for an MK7
https://sites.google.com/a/naturalnetworks.ca/vw-golf-mk7-vcds-how-to/home

If you move any of these to the top, I’ll delete them here to clean up this thread.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Thanks for these. I wrote to one vendor from this site asking about stocking the kit for the Sportwagen rear window side deflectors. I hope it goes well. I'm in need.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
E-ACCA was painless and I'd order again from them, any vendor here will probably order from them as well as they are the cheapest

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Subscribed. I've also asked one of the moderators to make this thread a sticky.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Have you done this on your tdi? If so, how do you like it on your tdi since the threads are for gti and golf r.

I actually had my transmission completely replaced under warranty (~17k miles) because they found the shifting fork was warped and pieces got into the transmission fluid. I had problems where the car wouldn't shift to first and reverse on cold start unless I put a lot of force. Also, first to second wouldn't shift smoothly. After replacing the transmission I haven't as much problems though I would say that depending on how cold it is outside, it still won't shift smoothly as if the gears are no lt aligned.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
I have not done it yet.
Probably not for everyone. Just guess that many manual drivers these days don’t understand what actually goes on while shifting and would be better off leaving it alone?

While shifting I try to match engine RPM so when the clutch comes back out engine is already right speed for the new gear. Otherwise if RPM is higher or lower the clutch slips and drags engine down or pulls it up to speed, not good for the clutch.
If you remove the delay valve and come out on the clutch real quick while shifting it would do this more aggressively, be harder on everything.

So if you’re good at shifting and matching speeds and occasionaly want to get on it and shift real quick you’ll notice the clutch doesn’t engage fully as soon as the clutch pedal is up, this is the delay valve doing its job.

I’d like to try driving without that.

Mine shifts real smooth warm or cold, never need to “force it”, a gentle nudge and it seems to suck the shifter onto the next gear.
Occasionally at a stop might not drop right into gear, just let up on clutch a tad to rotate the gears a fraction, depress clutch and try again, it'll drop in, don’t force it.

Last edited:

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Didn't think of that(release clutch a little bit and then depress), but will try that next time especially when driving in traffic.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
What may be happening is they’re trying to mesh tooth to tooth, and need to rotate one gear or the other so they present tooth to between teeth, so they will mesh.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How about a Dogbone mount insert? I don't have a thread but I've enjoyed my 034 insert on my Alltrack, even with the DSG I noticed an improvement of stop and go traffic and DSG engagement.

No noticeable NVH increase other than at idle with AC on. Worth the $45 bucks.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
How about a Dogbone mount insert? I don't have a thread but I've enjoyed my 034 insert on my Alltrack, even with the DSG I noticed an improvement of stop and go traffic and DSG engagement.

No noticeable NVH increase other than at idle with AC on. Worth the $45 bucks.
Good to know! With our recent cold snap here, I had three days where my commute was between 8F-12F in the early mornings. My 6spd does not like the cold weather at all. Was even sticking in gear when trying to get to neutral. Above 30F and it's buttery smooth.

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
Throttle Response Mod

Wow, this throttle response mod is great - it's really changed the way I feel about the car. I might even not chip it after this.

The throttle response on these cars is really wacky, and very frustrating to live with. The first 1/2 inch of travel is fine, but the next 1/2 inch does nothing. Then, after that, it kicks in again. I absolutely hated that.

Today on the Mk7 forum I was introduced to a throttle mod http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491&highlight=throttle&page=68 (post 1155) that addresses this situation. I've only taken the car for a short test drive so far, but it seems to have tremendously improved the response - it is much more linear now.

Throttle Response Mod:
Open VCDS / Select / 44 - Steering Assist / Security Access / 19249 / Do It / OK / Adaptation / Channel (drop down menu) / Driving Profile Switchover / New Value (drop down menu) / Direct: Controlled over Threshold Value (original was Gradual, controlled by Time) / Do It / Yes / OK / Go Back / close, go back etc.

It would be great to know how this works for anyone else.

Last edited:

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Wow, this throttle response mod is great - it's really changed the way I feel about the car. I might even not chip it after this.

The throttle response on these cars is really wacky, and very frustrating to live with. The first 1/2 inch of travel is fine, but the next 1/2 inch does nothing. Then, after that, it kicks in again. I absolutely hated that.

Today on the Mk7 forum I was introduced to a throttle mod http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491&highlight=throttle&page=68 (post 1155) that addresses this situation. I've only taken the car for a short test drive so far, but it seems to have tremendously improved the response - it is much more linear now.

Throttle Response Mod:
Open VCDS / Select / 44 - Steering Assist / Security Access / 19249 / Do It / OK / Adaptation / Channel (drop down menu) / Driving Profile Switchover / New Value (drop down menu) / Direct: Controlled over Threshold Value (original was Gradual, controlled by Time) / Do It / Yes / OK / Go Back / close, go back etc.

Holy smokes. Big difference. Very responsive.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Throttle Response Mod:

I may have to try this on the TSI, wonder if it will have the same effect.

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
I may have to try this on the TSI, wonder if it will have the same effect.
This was suggested to me by an owner of a GTI, so chances are good that it will work for you.

(But, I have a manual transmission, so I don't know how it affects a DSG)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
She worked, very happy almost feels like a tune

RHN

TDI
2003 Golf GL 2015 Golf SportWagen Trendline
Thanks for sharing this. Its awesome!
I got my 2015 GSW in late January this year (previously had a Golf MK4 ALH) I like it (the GSW) but couldn't quite put my finger on why its power delivery was the way it was.

This is the way it should of been from day one.

Thanks again,

Rick

Throttle Response Mod:

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
She worked, very happy almost feels like a tune
I have the kerma tune and just did this. I notice it is more responsive and feel the power come on earlier. It is a nice (free) addition.

When I give it a little, I feel it want to push harder but the rpms are too low. Not quite lugging but a slight feel of it. If I keep it in S mode on the dsg or at 2k in manual, the power is definitely noticeable there

It's too bad this is buried in a DIY thread where it can easy get missed. It should be It's own thread or a sticky

EDIT: after driving a for while I figured out what I like about it. I heard friends say my car has bad turbo lag. Maybe it was this setting. It feels like that "turbo lag" feeling is gone. Car feels great now.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reviews of the Alltrack left and right claim "turbo lag" as well, but how tiny the IS12 is and how quick it runs out of breath above 4K, that's impossible. The biggest thing for me since day one with the Alltrack was you just kept increasing pressure on the peddle wanting pull but no major change until you get a double downshift and then it pulls.

After coding change, I beg anyone to state it has the feel of turbo lag. Love the feeling zipping around parking lots and stop and go traffic. Sadly the MPG will reflect the change.

I gotta try this coding change on the '15 Passat now, see if that has the same Mk7 controler.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Thanks for the throttle tweak. I'll try it out after the snow stops.

There's also a popular VCDS tweak on GTIs and Rs for reducing something called "starting vibration reduction", but I doubt that applies to a low-power car like a TDI (dodges tomatoes :p): Enter ABS controller, select adaptions, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop-down menu, change the value from Strong to Deactivated. Thread here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
There's also a popular VCDS tweak on GTIs and Rs for reducing something called "starting vibration reduction", but I doubt that applies to a low-power car like a TDI (dodges tomatoes :p): Enter ABS controller, select adaptions, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop-down menu, change the value from Strong to Deactivated. Thread here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888
Give Mjolnir to Blue Hen cause this one is worthy. If you look at the vcds code, it says torque reduction, which would apply to TDIs even more than GTIs. People always say the sportwagen can really pull at 3 & 4th gear. This is why. Power is cut in earlier gears unless you do this mod. Now 1 & 2 nd gear feel great.

I know my Kerma TDI gets maybe 280-300lbs torque on paper but it never felt like I experienced it driving around. It must have been limited by this and also by the gradual throttle from above.

These 2 mods combine nicely to give it lots of throttle early on and not be limited. Compared to a week ago, it feels like I went from stage 1 (to dare say) stage 2, or maybe 1.75.

You have to also disable traction control to remove another power limiter. Unfortunately the power is too much for my tires and lots of chirping.

EDIT:After driving around a little, I notice it starting at 3/4 throttle. For daily driving, I dont push it hard enough to notice. I was almost hit by a car and I floored it to get away. Whether these mods made a difference or not, I felt more confident and felt more power. At 75% throttle, it shakes under the hood. I see the reason it came this way from factory. I prefer getting full power because sometimes need it.

An analogy would be: It feels like the volume can now go up to 13 or 14 instead of 10. The sound distorts and you usually don't take it to that level but sometimes you want to have fun or sometimes you need it so its nice to have.

Last edited: