MOUNTED my new massive tires today! :)

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
So....i did a thing! :) I realize many of you will think this is dumb.....but Im a jeep guy that bought a TDI so sorry if its not your cup of tea. I mounted my new big meats today! The ups guy dropped them off and I was too impatient to wait for a shop to mount them, so I spooned them on with my dirt bike tire levers and seated the beads with FIRE! I love them! My 2" lift just clears them. Its close but no rubbing even at full lock. Off-road may rub somewhere, but I will deal with that if/when it happens. It rides and handles great! I will see what it has done to my fuel economy. I did lower my RPM at 60mph by about 200rpm which makes hwy cruising quieter They are 215/75-15 general grabber at2's

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyaKookYIyI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Cool.....I'm thinking about going big too when my current tires wear out.

I do long distance driving and think the drop in RPM's gotta help mileage (assuming I try to find larger LRR tires).

Keep us posted about what happens MPG wise....I'm definitely curious.

Thanks

Andrew

Last edited:

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
Looks great! That's the same size tire I'm considering on my CR-V. Where did you buy those and how much?

those wheels look super clean too, very nicely kept

Last edited:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks man! I found these tires on ebay sold by discounttiredirect. They were listed as "used" but still had all the tits and stickers on them so maybe they were a demo or a customer changed their mind or something. They made it very clear that they were not blems. either way they look and ride perfect! I paid $275 shipped for all 4. I bet they didnt have more than 20 miles on them when I got them.

Looks great! That's the same size tire I'm considering on my CR-V. Where did you buy those and how much?

those wheels look super clean too, very nicely kept

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
And for the wheels.... they were spares the guy threw in when I bought the car... they were cruddy! Brake dust, tar, mud, and no centers. several hours with urathane reducer and a tooth brush later they dont look half bad! It was a chore though! I even cleaned the back side! Maguires "Hot wheels" works well for a lot of it but the solvent really cut through the rusty dust and tar.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
$275 shipped for all
outstanding deal!! yeah, I would have bought them 'used' or not - the price is good! will keep an eye on deals like that when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

bead seating, easy - little flammable fluid, little flame and BOOM, the explosion seats the beads :) off roaders do it all the time if they've aired down too far and slipped off the bead; should be some vids on youtube.

another way for big tires is an air cannon with a 3/4" valve, blast the full volume into it to seat the bead; this is how we did it for my Pathfinder.

Smokin' Dually

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
bead seating, easy - little flammable fluid, little flame and BOOM, the explosion seats the beads :) off roaders do it all the time ...
The first time I saw that was with a Saab at an ice race/autocross over 30 years ago. Dude hooked up the 12v compressor, jacked up the car, sprayed lighter fluid and flicked a lit match...

TheFawkingHux

TDI
Mk3 Golf CL
As another Jeep convert, I dig it!

I'm glad my Golf doesn't fit 33's in ANY form, and doubly glad none of my 5x4.5 Jeep wheels fit...

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Im glad you like it.... I was just surprised at how many people that have said, "why would you do that" or "that's dumb"

i don't know why you thought we wouldn't like this. fact: Golf Country was a cool car. any car that gives the nod to that heritage is cool.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
The video made me laugh, love it! I've been blowing out 2 stroke pipes for years now. (pressure and heat) Do it for all my riding friends.

I remember when I started to do it how I learned quick to point the cylinder end plug away from everything, because if it blows out, it's like shooting a missle. Went through a wall once....

I have since devised safety features for my craft.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
That is cool. I run those same tires on my Tundra (bigger size of course). I really like them. I thought the price I got was good ($600 mounted and balanced), but you win. How did you balance them?