Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
When I'm driving it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Not exactly. Flash point is a little different, but possibly points to an inverse relationship. For example, gasoline fumes can ignite from a match, and the result is a huge flame that is far hotter than the initial match. Diesel will not do this. But I am not a chemist, so I am just speculating.
In more laymen's terms, think about how long it takes for a diesel engine to warm up compared to a gas engine. This is largely due to the lack of heat they produce.ii
Additionally, gasoline engines generally don't use VNT style turbos, because the extra heat from a gas engine makes VNT unreliable. Diesels can generally get away with them because they run cooler.
Diesel do produce heat. The heat it does produce most it used for combustion.This why they are more efficient then gas engine

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Diesel do produce heat. The heat it does produce most it used for combustion.This why they are more efficient then gas engine
Of course they produce heat, just not as much as a gasoline engine.

It looks like during normal operation,TDI EGTs will reach 900f, and 1200f during a DPF regen. Comparatively, a stock WRX will reach 1450f. Obviously neither is cold, BUT that ranges between 250 and 550f higher temps for a stock gas motors.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Of course they produce heat, just not as much as a gasoline engine.

It looks like during normal operation,TDI EGTs will reach 900f, and 1200f during a DPF regen. Comparatively, a stock WRX will reach 1450f. Obviously neither is cold, BUT that ranges between 250 and 550f higher temps for a stock gas motors.

Most of the heat that is produce is used for combustion. That why they take longer to warm up.

On real cold day. If you let a diesel idel over a time you see the temperature gauge start to drop in temperature.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Most of the heat that is produce is used for combustion. That why they take longer to warm up.
On real cold day. If you let a diesel idel over a time you see the temperature gauge start to drop in temperature.
Exactly. This all points to an enjoy that is producing less specific heat than a gas equivalent, thus less likely to cause heat related issues like coking the oil.

I think you are arguing that the heat of a diesel is latent heat, absorbed during the combustion cycles. But specific heat is going to increase the EGT, oil temps, etc., not latent heat.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
Earlier in this thread some guys were talking about a rattling noise while driving. I have this too... I was wondering if anyone found a cause/solution to this. It's been driving me nuts for months
I was one of the people with a rattle/resonance noise. I finally broke down and took my car to the dealer's service place for them to try to find what might be causing it. As expected they drove the car under my described conditions when the noise appears and could not reproduce it. However, I took everything out of the car before I gave it to them (as one would) which includes taking out the ProClip USA phone holder I have. Don't know if you're familiar with that holder but it has a mount that clips in between the center vent area and the top of the dashboard - it has couple of thin plastic wedges that are used to temporarily lift the top of the dashboard in order to clip the mount in place. Just google proclip usa to really see what I mean. I am now thinking that when the mount is installed it leaves just enough space for something there to start resonating when the engine vibrates at a particular frequency - moderate acceleration or driving up an incline. That is what seems to be causing it in my car I am now thinking. Unfortunately, each case is probably different and whatever might be causing it in your car most likely has nothing to do with what's happening with mine. In any case, I have 2500 miles until then next service at which point I will again remove the proclip mount and drive it around without it for a couple of days to see if the buzzing noise is gone. Proclip is great as a phone holder and I am not willing to give it up for a bit of buzzing at this point.

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
I had an annoying ticking sound coming from the dash that was driving me insane, finally found it. On the driver door up on top near the mirror is the diode for the security light, the lens is loose and creaks around creating a noise. Put my finger on it while driving and it goes away.
I'm thinking of using a crystal clear UV/light-curable encapsulation resin to seal it from the top.

jdeguire

TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL
I noticed my clutch pedal on my GSW started making a click sound when released. It happens right before you let it all out. I am to reproduce it with the car turned off. If I push the clutch in just a little bit and release I can make it click pretty quick. I got down on the floor of the car to take a look, but I was not able to tell exactly where the sound was coming from. It sounds just like the click of a retractable pen. I thought about taking the bottom cover off so I could get a better look, but haven't yet. I'll probably just take it into the dealership, but fear they will give me the run around since the clutch seems to be working properly.

I have read in other posts that this can happen when it is cold outside, but this is not the case since it is pretty warm here in Cleveland and it only clicks near the end of the release.

Anyone else experience this?

Justin

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
Anyone know what this is and what its used for? It's below the air cleaner arm & one end connects to the air cleaner box and the other goes to the metal pipe. Curious to know if its need a clamp there?

Jhatch

TDI
Golf sportwagen
I just bought my 2015 Sportwagen TDI last week and noticed some fluid on the garage floor tonight. I just got an email from the dealership saying they thought it was condensation from air conditioner has anybody heard of that?

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Anyone know what this is and what its used for? It's below the air cleaner arm & one end connects to the air cleaner box and the other goes to the metal pipe. Curious to know if its need a clamp there?

It does not need a clamp and did not come with one. The theory is the hose is supposed to bring hot air from the manifold area into the air box to aid in warm up times.

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
I noticed my clutch pedal on my GSW started making a click sound when released. It happens right before you let it all out. I am to reproduce it with the car turned off. If I push the clutch in just a little bit and release I can make it click pretty quick. I got down on the floor of the car to take a look, but I was not able to tell exactly where the sound was coming from. It sounds just like the click of a retractable pen. I thought about taking the bottom cover off so I could get a better look, but haven't yet. I'll probably just take it into the dealership, but fear they will give me the run around since the clutch seems to be working properly.

I have read in other posts that this can happen when it is cold outside, but this is not the case since it is pretty warm here in Cleveland and it only clicks near the end of the release.

Anyone else experience this?

Justin
When my wrx does this it's due to the click from the brake light activation switch that is released when the pedal is pushed away from it. Haven't checked to see if this car has the same type of switch.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
A quick FYI for those of you who took delivery with a 30 pin MDI cable and want a lightning cable MDI. I emailed VW and they quickly responded and said one is in the mail.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
DPF burnout after 80k?

Is it true that the "regen" unit or DPF on the MKVI burned out after 80k and costs 4k to replace?

bloodycelt

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
A quick FYI for those of you who took delivery with a 30 pin MDI cable and want a lightning cable MDI. I emailed VW and they quickly responded and said one is in the mail.
So should we email VW, what email address should that be?

Or is VW sending them out to everyone that got the 30 pin cable (The salesperson at Minuteman VW, told me to wait on getting a cable at the dealership, since he thinks I should get one from VW in the mail).

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
As far as I know there is no active campaign to send cables to owners. I emailed VWoA through their website.

TDI
Jetta MKVI, Golf MKVII
I've had my MKVII TDI Golf now for about 400 miles. Here's a couple of things I've noticed that are part of the design that I thought I would mention -

1. The hood release cable came undone under the hood at mile 300. The latch had no tension. I let the dealer handle it rather than poke around the badge with a screwdriver. If I guess right from a glance under the hood, they had to put a zip tie around a cable guide on the driver's side fender inside the engine compartment.

2. I bought the 6 speed manual. Been driving manuals for a long time now, and rather than wear the clutch out, I tend to use too little. This means that every once in a while I'll kill it coming off the line. The Golf seems to have built in a noticeable delay from the time you depress the clutch until the time a turned key will actually turn over the engine. This made for a long, embarrassing moment in the left hand turn lane this A.M.

3. Which leads directly to point 3. The key fob is made with a glaring design flaw. When inserted into the ignition with the button side facing the driver, the emergency button - you know, the one that makes the horn sound and the lights flash? - is DIRECTLY under my thumb and the primary pressure point for turning the key. If I forget to think about it, 1 time out of 5 I will engage the emergency switch in the act of starting the engine. Huge PITA.

4. Oh, and the rear spray nozzle still drips FWIW.

But overall I'm a happy customer.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
2. I bought the 6 speed manual. Been driving manuals for a long time now, and rather than wear the clutch out, I tend to use too little. This means that every once in a while I'll kill it coming off the line. The Golf seems to have built in a noticeable delay from the time you depress the clutch until the time a turned key will actually turn over the engine. This made for a long, embarrassing moment in the left hand turn lane this A.M.

3. Which leads directly to point 3. The key fob is made with a glaring design flaw. When inserted into the ignition with the button side facing the driver, the emergency button - you know, the one that makes the horn sound and the lights flash? - is DIRECTLY under my thumb and the primary pressure point for turning the key. If I forget to think about it, 1 time out of 5 I will engage the emergency switch in the act of starting the engine. Huge PITA.
I had stalling issue too, but after 10k miles the engine has loosened up and maybe I have adjusted a bit from my trucks.

I do miss the japanese feature of only triggering the panic button if you hold it down for a few seconds.

WildChild

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline TDI 6MT
The latch on the little compartment next to the steering wheel just broke, making the compartment stay open. It seems that something came loose inside (likely a spring).

My next trip to the dealer will be interesting with this, along with a leaking rear washer nozzle and a leaking AdBlue injector.

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
The thought suddenly popped into my head (Has it always been this notchy?), so I can't compare to before, but it feels like the shifter has gotten a bit notchy; specifically when shifting from 1->2 and 2->3 and not quite so much on 3->4. 4->5 and 5->6 seem as smooth as ever, and I'll occasionally get a nice smooth shift from one of the "notchier" gears. Anyone else notice this or am I just over analyzing it on my boring drive to work.

kranzandrew

TDI
MKVII 2015 Golf TDI S, Mk IV 2005 Jetta TDI PD, 1997 B4 Passat TDI 5speed Bio
The thought suddenly popped into my head (Has it always been this notchy?), so I can't compare to before, but it feels like the shifter has gotten a bit notchy; specifically when shifting from 1->2 and 2->3 and not quite so much on 3->4. 4->5 and 5->6 seem as smooth as ever, and I'll occasionally get a nice smooth shift from one of the "notchier" gears. Anyone else notice this or am I just over analyzing it on my boring drive to work.
I have noticed notchy shifts as well at 3250 miles didn't think it was before, makes me feel like I'm grinding gears, but there is no noise. I think it may just be the synchros wearring in.. Or wearing out prematurely, time will tell.

I have had the alarm go off quite a few times as well when I started it and just now realized that I'm pressing the alarm button. That is a design flaw but now that I know I think I should be able to get used to it.

The easy stalling seems to me to come from the lousy POS hill "assist" feature that comes on all the time, and I mean ALL THE TIME! It is always floundering my attempts to cut into trafic, and that is here in Florida. I can not imagine trying to merge into trafic on rt 17 in New Jersey in this with this damn hill assist holding me back all the time.

The regens... Oh the regens.. They are endless, more than half the time my car is running it is in a regen, I will be coming off the interstate from a three hour drive and it will be mid regen as I shut it off, it seems endless. I realy hope that the ECU recall update will help, but I also hope they don't just further restrict fueling to eliminate particulate emissions, and then lower hp.

Last edited:

kranzandrew

TDI
Called VW, they are out of lightning cables but they sent me a 50 dollar visa gift card so I could buy one at the dealer, so I'm happy with that.

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
The regens... Oh the regens.. They are endless, more than half the time my car is running it is in a regen, I will be coming off the interstate from a three hour drive and it will be mid regen as I shut it off, it seems endless. I realy hope that the ECU recall update will help, but I also hope they don't just further restrict fueling to eliminate particulate emissions, and then lower hp.
What's a regen?

kranzandrew

TDI
A regen is a regeneration cycle for the DPF, the ecU dumps fuel on the power stroke and the exhaust stroke to raise the EGTs to 800 or so.

lil'oilburner

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
...regen cycle makes the exhaust system run hot to burn off built up particles in the DPF (Diesel Particle Filter). If your auxilliary cooling fan continues to run after turning the car off, a regen cycle was in progress, which will continue the next time you drive the car and exceed ~35 MPH. For city dwellers: allowing your TDI to run on some open roads will minimize regens.

My main complaint about Mk7s are the wipers. In the recent torrential rains we got in TX, the wipers couldn't sweep water away fast enough. I feel the design of the A-pillar trim is the issue. Channels in the trim are wide near the base of the windshield and narrow going up, so water moving up the windshield is pushed back onto the windshield. Fine for lighter rain but in a heavy downpour I noticed a pocket of water that remained on the windshield, between the A-pillar, wiper and water gutter at the windshield's base. If the A-pillar trim water channel allowed water to go up and over the roof the pooling effect could be avoided. VW, please take note of this minor design flaw by redesigning this small piece of trim and making the Mk7 driver see better in heavy rains.