Lag issues common arnd 90000? What 2 tll dealr?

ChadMad

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Black, 69000 miles
Got flat spots/lag on a 99.5 jetta TDI with 90000. Seems to be a common problem with cars with this much mileage.

I've read around a little bit, and I think I've already got some stuff to bring up. However, a lot of the other posts discussed stuff I'm not prepared to do myself. So, if you take a look at my problem described below. What would you tell the dealership to look at to fix it. Considering that the dealership already told me they don't know what is wrong.

I am having occasional lag in acceleration. It happens a few times a week. Sometimes several times in one day, sometimes not. The erratic nature of it is infuriating. I took the car in for it's 90000 mile service and told the dealership about the lag. They claim no codes were thrown and that everything seemed to check out since they drove the car around the block a couple times and it didn't happen.

Yet, it happened to my wife twice yesterday alone! So something is definitely wrong. It is usually moving between the lower gears that it happens. I haven't been able to pinpoint if it is related to a specific RPM or not. Obviously I don't want the dealership (which is the only VW shop around here I can find that will work on Diesels) to do exploratory surgery as it will cost me a lot of money, so I'm hoping to give a little direction. I'm going to ask to actually talk to the tech this time rather than just the front room repair/sales guy.

Thanks
Chad
chadmad@gmail.com

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
An intermittent problem is the most difficult to diagnose accurately. YOu can't blame the dealer for not finding it when it doesn't happen on a road test.

Look around for a fellow member with technical ability, even if a little farther afield. Or wait until the problem manifest itself more frequently.

It could be a loose hose clamp to the turbo, a stiff VNT actuator, maybe a clogged intake. Just some possibilities.

Do a search here.