Whats it worth/feeler thread 03 Jetta Wagon, 260k, $4000 in new parts

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
If interested, msg for pictures and/or more information

I'm in the middle of piecing back together my 03 Jetta Wagon after a lifter took out my cam and a valve (no piston to valve contact, just did some damage to the top of the lifter stem). Tons of new parts. Never planned to sell this car but just picked up a Unicorn of a TDI, 5 spd Land Rover Discovery from Spain so contemplating selling the JSW. Below are a list of information and parts I'm in the middle of replacing. Expect to have the car done in a week or two. I've been working on these cars for 10+ years, and building cars in general for another 5+ on top of that and always do everything OEM++ and by the book.

Details: ~260k, Silver, Wagon, Black leather w/sunroof, 2nd owner (for 4ish years), no accidents, very small amount of rust at fender and rear hatch (original owner spent all winters in florida - retired ex-plane mechanic so he was almost as anal with the car as I am), all service history/parts receipts since new.

List of brand new parts alone totalling just under $4000 (like I said, I never planned to sell this car) Engine parts from IDparts.com and suspension from Rockauto - All receipts available and photos of work in progress as well. Also has a set of 70% Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on OEM alloy Rims. Will likely need new summer tires on the 2nd set of OEM Alloy rims.

ENGINE
- rebuilt head (everything new)
- Cylinder Head Install Kit (A4 ALH)
- Head Bolts: OEM
- Head Gasket: 1 Hole
- High Mileage Timing Belt Kit (ALH)
- Camshaft Sprocket: OEM
- Oil Cooler Gaskets: Yes
- Serpentine Belt: Gates "Green Stripe"
- Hard Coolant Pipe o-ring:
- Serpentine Belt Tensioner Style: Shock Only
- Coolant: None Needed
- Timing Belt: Continental
Upgraded Complete Injectors w/ Bosio Nozzles
- Core Charge:
- Prepaid Return Label:
- Nozzle Option: Bosio PP 520
- Model Year: 2003- Intercooler Bracket (ALH Jetta Golf)
- Malone Stage 1.5 Tune (not purchased or installed yet, but intended to be purchased and installed at discretion of new owner)
- 3 x Complete Filter Pack (ALH)(BEW) (all included)
- Air Filter: Mann w/Prefilter
- Cabin Filter: Charcoal
- Fuel Filter: MANN-FILTER
- Add 2nd Oil Filter:
- Cam Follower/Lifter Set (A4 ALH)
- Vane Actuator VNT-15/VNT-17 (A4 ALH)
- Actuator Circlip
- Oil Filter Flange Gasket (A4 ALH BEW)
- Oil Pan Gasket (A4)
- Oil Pump Pickup Tube O-Ring Seal (VW)
- Turbo Oil Feed Line Banjo Washers (A3)(B4)(A4)(B5.5)
- Diesel Fuel Hose 3mm (Return Line) - 1 Meter

- 5-Speed Short Shifter

Suspension/MISC

- MONROE 21715255613 Suspension Kit (2 new Quickstruts, and 2 new shocks)
- Complete Suspension Bolt Set - Struts and Shocks (A4)
- 2 x Rear Shock Mount (A4) $31.90
- Rear Towing Springs PAIR (A4 Jetta Wagon)
- CURT 11083 Trailer Hitch & wiring

- Armrest Hinge Repair Kit (A4)
- Vented Fender Liner [OEM] (A4)

- POWER STOP ESK840 4 corner Rotor & Brake Pad Kit

Last edited:

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
gone: 97 b4v, 01, 00 mk4 now: 06 mk4v
I just recently purchased a wagon, an 06 mind you, but if it was me, I wouldn't pay any more than 4 grand safetied and certified.

Youve had the car for 4 years so I can only assume its paid off. If you get the money back in the parts i would call that a win.

if you post it for sale, dont say that you already picked up another car

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
4k seems reasonable for a 15 year old unicorn wagon... You have to remember, majority of buyers won't care about the work you did to the car and money you spent..most will just see a 15 year old diesel wagon with 260km

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
4k seems reasonable for a 15 year old unicorn wagon... You have to remember, majority of buyers won't care about the work you did to the car and money you spent..most will just see a 15 year old diesel wagon with 260km
Unfortunately that's now buyers see this.

If I were the seller, I would hold on to the Jetta at least 6 months after the Disco is on the road. Those Land Rovers are notoriously unreliable.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Listed it on kijiji last night. Waiting on a unicorn buyer for this unicorn car it seems. These alh jettas have their own little gremlins as we all know and they've all been handled and then some on this car. Unless I get what I'm asking for it, I'll likely keep it and just sell the disco if it comes to it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...on/1332181706?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
7k? maybe if it was 4motion, and even then a big maybe... glws but like the other two said, you might aswell keep it at that price

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
$7,000 for a 15yr old car that has the engine disassemled due to issues?

BTW...you forgot to list the newer air added to the tires.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
How can you realistically expect a buyer to buy this car before it's put back together if they can't even take it for a test drive?

I would recommend first putting the car back together, then drive it for a weeks or so to make sure all the bugs are worked out of it AND THEN listed for sale with an add that's not two pages long. Also, posting pictures when the car is not on a dolly can help greatly increase the chances of landing and interested buyer. $7K is a very optimistic asking price.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
How can you realistically expect a buyer to buy this car before it's put back together if they can't even take it for a test drive?

I would recommend first putting the car back together, then drive it for a weeks or so to make sure all the bugs are worked out of it AND THEN listed for sale with an add that's not two pages long. Also, posting pictures when the car is not on a dolly can help greatly increase the chances of landing and interested buyer. $7K is a very optimistic asking price.
This. Since you asked in your original post, I will give my opinion. With the rust I see, it's a $3000 car when it's all back together.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
FWIW, I would read that ad with the description of the tune and the PP 520 nozzles as you blew the motor by driving the sh!t out of the car. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter, it just seriously lowers what I would pay. As mentioned above, the cost of the parts is irrelevant, it's what is a 15 year old car worth to someone.
You might get your ask from a unicorn, but I wouldn't go past $3K.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW, I would read that ad with the description of the tune and the PP 520 nozzles as you blew the motor by driving the sh!t out of the car. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter, it just seriously lowers what I would pay. As mentioned above, the cost of the parts is irrelevant, it's what is a 15 year old car worth to someone.
You might get your ask from a unicorn, but I wouldn't go past $3K.
......Tune and nozzles were installed after lifter failure. Lifter failure on these cars is fairly common, even with factory approved oils. A failed lifter would also be the least likely thing to occur by "driving the **** out of the car" with a tune and nozzles. The weak point on these cars are the factory rods and head bolts, but those nozzles and a stage 1.5 tune wouldn't come near the breaking limit of those parts. The great thing about my name being on the ownership is that I get to dictate how much $$$ it'll take for me to part with the car.

Ps. Car sold today for just a hair under asking price. :)