www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old February 8th, 2018, 14:40   #16
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Default Ford releases 1.5 Turbo diesel Transit Connect

For 2019, the Ford Transit Connect surfs two of the most unpopular waves on the market: small, car-based vans and diesel. Ford hopes the updates it made to the Euro-bred model will help lure minivan buyers into showrooms.Tough it's not an all-new vehicle, the Transit Connect adopts a front end that's sharper and more chiseled than before. It echoes the company's latest design language. The van remains available with a short or a long wheelbase.

Full article: https://www.leftlanenews.com/2019-fo...ine-99865.html
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 15:26   #17
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Dunno about "small, car-based vans" being "unpopular". The passenger versions (minivans) might be unpopular (I don't think I've seen one single passenger Transit Connect on the road), but compact commercial vans of all types are all over the place here, and I presume the diesel engine won't be limited to the passenger versions. Canada Post uses them. Bell Canada uses them. Friend of mine operates a one-man-show water softener company ... he has one. They are great for plumbers, electricians, local delivery of light products (flowers, food, mail, etc).
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 15:44   #18
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Thanks for posting this bhtooefr! Somewhat surprised by this announcement. Should we thank CAFE requirements for this knowing that fuel prices are less likely to play a role?

Researching Fuelly a little bit points to two vehicles in the UK with an average MPG of around 37.5 which translates approximately to 31 MPG US. Not espectacular, but overall a better cargo/room package than the Toyota RAV4 hybrid which is averaging 32 MPG US.

I wonder how is the reliability of these Ford diesel engines (1.5) vs the GM 1.6 diesel in the Equinox.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 16:31   #19
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Very much a city type vehicle with the ability to work a day then return to home base to restock. They are becoming more common as passenger vehicles because of space and pricing.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 17:39   #20
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

This is a new engine family that hasn't been around for very long, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 18:55   #21
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Other than the JSW, hard as I try, can't seem tio get below 40 MPH!
Default Damn near bought a Transit Connect...

Seriously looked at them a year ago after the VW dealer in Fort Myers trashed the rear suspension of my JSW and looked like I'd have to do the buyback early. Boxy in the back like a van should be, but FWD with a low center of gravity so it handles a lot like the Focus it's based on. Big enough to fit a motorcycle in back if it ain't too tall, or plenty of camping space. Factory tow package that even adjusts the stability control for trailering like the system VW has turned off on our north american TDI cars.

Local dealer had a cargo van for $21k before tax and license, I was waiting for price to drop to $20k and then I'd pounce. The EPA approved the fix for and I bought a new '15 Golf TDI... But I may go back to Ford if they follow through with this.
Old February 8th, 2018, 23:14   #22
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

That's the latest version of the Ford/PSA 1.6 lump, and might even be the "Ecoblue" variant by the time if gets over there.
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 23:21   #23
DPM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
This is a new engine family that hasn't been around for very long, so...
Nope, the 1.5 is just the 1.6 that's been around for more than ten years taken down a bit.
And the Ecoblue bit is just Ford's implemetation of the same technologies that PSA have been using on the same engine for five years or so?

Better half's Citroen C4 sports Adblue etc and is a 2015 model; it's 100hp 1.6 is pretty darned impressive and the 1.5s just build on that.
Old February 9th, 2018, 02:29   #24
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

They're claiming that the EcoBlue engines are clean sheet, source on them being derivatives of the DLD/DV (for the 1.5) and ZSD (for the 2.0) families? (Note that the EcoBlue engines are offset crank, I didn't think any of the old families would've supported that?)

There is a 1.5 based on the DLD-416, but allegedly this isn't it, this is replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; February 9th, 2018 at 02:32.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:40   #25
TDI Owner/Operator

Most people in the market for a van have a need to haul people and/or cargo. When these little Transit Connects first came out I checked them out. The E150 was a better deal since it could haul more both in cubic space and weight and price wasn't much different. Fuel economy on the Transit Connect wasn't much better than the E150 either. Now that the Transit Connect has this diesel option that may change things.

And yes, I know the E150 was replaced by the standard Transit van which is larger than the Transit Connect. Sort of comparing apples and oranges here between the three...

IMO the Transit Connect does not have the value the larger E150 or Transit provide. The Transit Connect only shines for inner city use where it's smaller size has an advantage.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 10:35   #26
DPM
Veteran Member

hmm, best wait and see then.
Old February 9th, 2018, 12:36   #27
truman
Veteran Member

Transit Connect diesel looks very interesting as a utilitarian, general purpose, around town passenger van.
This may well be on my short list when the Passat dies.
truman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 17:44   #28
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
Transit Connect diesel looks very interesting as a utilitarian, general purpose, around town passenger van.
This may well be on my short list when the Passat dies.
True, but probably not as 'road solid' like the Passat for long drives I would guess.

I guess we have to be thankful that, at least, there are a few more luxury vehicle offerings after the VW diesel scandal and with fuel prices fairly low.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:17   #29
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

If anyone’s interested there’s a nice Youtube video out there on the ecoblue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.
Judson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 04:59   #30
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Kind of like the Metris. MB hardly markets those at all, and I doubt many Americans even know they exist. They are sort of the only "mid sized" van available, in both cargo and passenger. RWD (with IRS!), too. They drive like a sports car, but sadly no diesel for us.
No gasser for us in those, and every plumber drives one. The cops too.
http://www.polizeiautos.de/show_one.php?id=9075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
I wonder why a 1.5L diesel instead of something a little bit bigger for a vehicle this size.
It's the top of the line engine in the European Transit Connect. The 8-speed auto/130hp version of the 1.5 diesel replaces the 6-speed dual clutch/120hp version in the pre-refresh. One of my coworkers drives a LWB passenger van version of the 120hp one and, while not a rocketship, it's perfectly adequate.
At my old job, we had a short wheelbase cargo van version with the old 1.6 diesel and a 6-speed manual. That was actually pretty peppy.

By the way, the new generation of the CitroŽn Berlingo just came out and will be available with the same 130hp 1.5/8-speed auto or 6-speed manual drivetrains.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...s-6630795.html

Last edited by German_1er_diesel; February 19th, 2018 at 05:16.
German_1er_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote