www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old February 5th, 2018, 08:07   #1
Dallas

Default New stereo draining battery

I finally replaced the oem stereo in my MK5 Jetta with a full featured double din Chinese stereo, it works and sounds great! But now the battery seems to be slowing draining when it's not driven for a couple days. It's a simple plug and play system.
I remember reading somewhere a while back about this issue, but I don't recall what the fix was. Searching here didn't really tell me much. Anyone know much about this symptom?
'02 Jetta tdi, race pipe, down pipe, injectors, stage 3, Maloned
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:32   #2
relumalutan
Veteran Member

You need to upgrade to a newer version of the CanBus module, located under the dashboard.
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:54   #3
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg

My Chinese stereo had an option to leave a wire unplugged to work with the can bus system.
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:20   #4
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokivasara View Post
My Chinese stereo had an option to leave a wire unplugged to work with the can bus system.
I'll check on that, thanks.
Old February 6th, 2018, 04:47   #5
Dallas

I looked at the wiring diagram and found 2 wires that are for the can bus. I will pull the radio back out today and see if these are connected or not.
I also did more searching here and found this link on diy upgrading MK5 can bus. I have a vcds on the way so I think I can get it from here. One of these 2 things should fix it.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rn...n-in-a-mk5-vw/
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:38   #6
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I finally replaced the oem stereo in my MK5 Jetta with a full featured double din Chinese stereo, it works and sounds great! But now the battery seems to be slowing draining when it's not driven for a couple days. It's a simple plug and play system.
I remember reading somewhere a while back about this issue, but I don't recall what the fix was. Searching here didn't really tell me much. Anyone know much about this symptom?
This reminds me of the issue where the Monsoon amp still stays on and drains the battery when coupled with an aftermarket radio.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 09:06   #7
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokila View Post
This reminds me of the issue where the Monsoon amp still stays on and drains the battery when coupled with an aftermarket radio.
This one doesn't have a Monsoon amp. My MK4 has one and the stereo won't shut off until I lock the doors. I'm ok with that issue.
Old February 8th, 2018, 09:37   #8
hodizz

Fuel Economy: 40-47mpg (with a heavy foot)

mine did the same thing - Had to do this -- haven't had an issue since
you have to cut yellow wire to can bus box on radio and wire it to a switched on power
canbus box on radio is wired with constant on power so it drains the battery slowly

https://www.autopumpkin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161
Old February 8th, 2018, 09:52   #9
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodizz View Post
you have to cut yellow wire to can bus box on radio and wire it to a switched on power
canbus box on radio is wired with constant on power so it drains the battery slowly

Perfect! Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Say, how do you like your turbo upgrade? I have the same one and it's going in this weekend, along with the injectors.
Old February 8th, 2018, 15:22   #10
hodizz

Fuel Economy: 40-47mpg (with a heavy foot)

I enjoy the turbo a lot. Spool up very quick. 26psi really woke the car up. Have had on my car for about 3 years and not had any issues with it. Should be very nice with injector upgrade. Plan to do the same here. one day...
Old February 19th, 2018, 09:57   #11
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodizz View Post

This yellow wire mod did the trick for my battery drain, thanks!