2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid vs. Jetta GLI vs. Jetta TDI vs. Jetta 2.5

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Well that answers my questions about the hybrid:eek:kay mpg plus premium gas doesn't equal TDI. TDI is even better if you get to use a manual.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
The hybrid was not given full disclosure or details. The SEL premium offers many upgrades such as hid headlamps, fended audio, led tail lamps. Body effects for lower .cd.

The hybrid has a electric only mode for upto 1.1 miles. The dsg will clutch and shut the motor off when coasting. I test drove one and was very impressed. Had it been a golf version I would have easily considered it. The tdi is awesome but its not without known issues that can cost $$$$$ in hassle and repairs.

I would assume a skilled driver could easily top 48-50 mpg in the hybrid which is the same for the tdi.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
The hybrid was not given full disclosure or details. The SEL premium offers many upgrades such as hid headlamps, fended audio, led tail lamps. Body effects for lower .cd.

The hybrid has a electric only mode for upto 1.1 miles. The dsg will clutch and shut the motor off when coasting. I test drove one and was very impressed. Had it been a golf version I would have easily considered it. The tdi is awesome but its not without known issues that can cost $$$$$ in hassle and repairs.

I would assume a skilled driver could easily top 48-50 mpg in the hybrid which is the same for the tdi.
You may be right. I can get low to mid 40s mpg on my commutes into Boston, and not highway driving. When I am on the highway I'm usually mid 40s to 50 mpg (in warmer weather). I'd love to have one of the hybrids for a week to see how I can do. I'd really try to maximize the regenerative breaking opportunities.:)

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
The regen braking is really quick. I hypermiiled and drained the battery. After just one regen braking period for a u turn I had recharged the lithium ion battery.

If I had been given a long overnight test drive period I may have considered the hybrid even more so if my commute was mostly city. The car would be optimal over a tdi for city use.

VW needs to promote the car better and offer long test drives.

ShoelessJoe

TDI
2013 Jetta
This was a fun article about some very nice cars. I of course prefer the TDI since I bought one. But I did own an 06 rabbit 2.5 and that was a very nice car also. The biggest complaint about the 2.5 for me was the fuel economy for such a small car.

qquixotic

TDI
Passat SEL 2013
Coming out of a Prius I seriously considered the Jetta hybrid, and drove one right after having driven the TDI Passat. I liked it. It drove much more nicely than my Prius IMHO and though I doubt it would do as well for mileage, I would have been happy to make the slight trade off for better driving characteristics. But... it was too late, because I was already sold on the Passat--bigger, quieter and even peppier with the TDI. More comfortable highway car. I know it will be more expensive to maintain, but just hoping for adequate reliability. Also, the Jetta hybrid expensive even compared to the Jetta TDI. The Passat seemed a lot more car for the money. The Jetta hybrid is also competing against the Fusion hybrid and soon the Accord, both in the same price range.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yeah, and given that VW leads off so much advertising with the 2.0's price point, they should have included it. If only to make the other engine offerings look that much better!
I can say that in Quebec, the majority of Jettas are the 2.0 followed very closely by TDIs; 2.5s are in the minority and hybrids rare still. So it would have made sense to include the model that most people buy.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
I just traded away my TDI for the Hybrid. The TDI was great when logging lots of miles, but family driving patterns were shifting and it was time to look at alternatives.

Did a 300 mile RT yesterday:

~39.8 MPG (computer) outbound - highway - cruise (72MPH) - AC on
Golf TDI would consistently do 41-42 MPG on this kind of run.

~46.9 MPG (computer) return leg - secondary roads - 55-60MPH - AC off
Golf TDI would typically do this at 44-45 MPG on this kind of run

The Hybrid is snappy but it is NO TDI. When you consider energy / mile rather than gallons / mile and the fact that diesel has ~ 30% more energy content / gallon, the Hybrid would have gotten ~ 61 MPG (46.9 x 1.3) if the engine had been diesel rather than gasoline. I doubt VW will be building a diesel hybrid any time soon.