Lets talk adapters

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi wagon, 1991 toyota mtdi
Jimbote, I don't know for sure if these bolts are threaded all the way since I don't have them in my hand but my guess would be that they are only threaded about an inch of the total length.

Reddok, The style of head on the bolt isn't important to me since they will go thru the flywheel, spacer and thread into the crank. It just happens that the only 12.9 grade bolts in this length, size and thread pitch available to me from napa have allen heads on them. I'll contact napa on Monday and see if I can get the width and height of the allen bolt head and if they are threaded all the way.

My crank spacer is now finished with holes drilled. Now it's time to move on to the adapter plate.

motörhead

TDI
none yet
Greg99 has a series of posts that made it all over the web describing bellhousing and tranny compatability...from my interpretation of his info, a turbo 22re bell with a 96-up R trans or an AX15 may give you enough extra input shaft to put a spacer between the bell and the trans to move the motor forward some...I was looking at putting a 2.2 turbo dodge motor into a Toy a while ago as they are fairly strong and easy to up the boost on...

Hope this is of use somehow...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Do have a link to some of his posts? I googled the name but came up empty
the early r150/151/w series bell housings are 6 7/8" deep flange to flange.... the late r150 bell housing that started with the tacoma is 7 15/16" deep flange to flange...a difference of 1 1/16" ...if you used the late r series tranny with a early r151 turbo bell housing you could make up the difference with a spacer and move your engine forward 1 1/16" (in theory of course):)

RichB

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 1993 Toyota T100 1Z M-TDI GT20/52 turbo
Hello, new here. Here are some pics of a swap I did a while back on my T100. No adapter was available for the V6's R150, so I machined one myself. I'll try to find my measurements if anyone is interested.

http://www.geistsystems.com/

Trailnewt

TDI
'87 TDI Vanagon Syncro, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Kennedy does make an adaptor for the AHU into the Vanagon. The other "adaptor" for that conversion is replacing the stock bell housing with one from a diesel Vanagon. It bolts directly to the Vanagon transmission and to the AHU/1Z engine mounted at 50 degrees. If you go this route on a Syncro Vanagon you also have to install the European Diesel Syncro fuel tank or modify your stock tank to accommodate the new starter position.
Brent

RichB

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 1993 Toyota T100 1Z M-TDI GT20/52 turbo
jimbote,

I'll have to check my notes as I am afraid to post anything that is not correct. If you check one of pics: http://www.geistsystems.com/slides/IMG_1274.html , you'll see where I had to pull the engine a few times to drill new holes to get everything indexed correctly. I am pretty certain my drawing is the original and not corrected to show the current bolt index.
The whole thing was for R&D purposes and then my 1Z w/ Rover pump was going to be installed. It has been almost a year since I have done anything on it though. Having a turbo 1.6 pump rebuilt now to see if performance improves as the NA pump was not impressive even w/ the vnt turbo. If performance is no good then, I will probably just pull the whole thing and machine a new adapter for one of my OM617s, but I was really hoping the smaller VW engine would suffice. Regardless, I plan to make any corrections to the bolt hole index and will post when I can as you never see V6(R150) adapter dimensions listed anywhere.
I also have the dimensions for the case side of the transmission for anyone wanting to not use the factory Toyota (or Jeep AX15) bell housing. A while back I was going to remove the Toy bell housing, and machine a plate to bolt the OM617's bell housing to it instead. These dimensions are also never listed anywhere. Will try to get a real drawing posted on that too as soon as I can. Just really busy..

rallyedude

If you haven't picked up bolts yet , the application for audi v6's run an m10x1.0 x@60-70 mm . dealer list on those bolts is @ 4$ up here in canada, aftermarket source I'm sur would be cheaper. They are threaded the hole way.

dennis1a4

TDI
Toyota Integra TDI
Speaking of bolts, what have others done to bolt the Toyota flywheel to the TDI? I'm temporally using the stock TDI bolts but they seem a little short. They thread in fine, but grab a little less meat then they did with the TDI flywheel. Also, I've read that these bolts are one time use. Is this true? Are guys using them over again or buying new ones?

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
by the book they are one time use only. I've re-used them before and never had an issue.
there are some pics up somewhere of reused broken flywheel bolts....I def would NOT reuse them as they do yield quite a bit when torquing them properly....44lbft + 1/4 ....you can feel the bolt give alot!! ...as for other alternative to the VW hardware you can use ford ranger V6 flywheel bolts (also 10x1mm) cut down to the correct length ...these are reusable...or you can also use audi flywheel bolts http://www.europaparts.com/audi-manual-flywheel-bolt-n90705901.html ....these are also one time use but can be cut down to fit your application

Last edited:

alphawerks

Veteran Member
TDI
many
I made the adapter for VW to V6 toyota bell for my truck. I made it using a template so I would be able to copy it if needed.

If there were people interested I could get a batch waterjet cut and machined.
I don't know what the cost would be for them, would depend quantity, probably about 200 to 250 plus shipping.

Anyone interested?

Ryan

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I made the adapter for VW to V6 toyota bell for my truck. I made it using a template so I would be able to copy it if needed.

I don't know what the cost would be for them, would depend quantity, probably about 200 to 250 plus shipping.

Anyone interested?

Ryan
How cool is that!

I'm not personally in the market for one (yet). I need more garage space before I think about more cars, but I have to think there'll be several people over time that'll take you up on that.

Getting a properly engineered plate where all the clearances are right removes s significant hurdle for doing the swap. IMHO well worth the $200-$250, unless one wants the satisfaction of figuring it out themselves...

Mark

sledmancochrane

TDI
tacoma?
Anyone interested?
Ryan
hey i have an 05 tacoma 4x4 with the ra60f 6 speed would it work with the vw ALH...... i got a big master plan lol thanks

TDI
Toyota TDI
I'm currently working on a TDI swap into a Toyota pickup. You can find my build on NC4x4 "TDI First Gen 4runner" https://www.nc4x4.com/forum/threads/tdi-first-gen-4runner.185998/ The build-up shows installation and mockup in a 4runner but I'm now switching it to a pickup. I made my own adapter (done the right way, using the dowel locations from the VW and Toyota) and engine mounts.

If there's interest in these adapters, I'd be willing to make a kit and sell them. I only have kits for the V6 trucks but we're currently working on a bolt in solution for the 22r as well.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Yeah. My family is from the Butler PA area (north of Pittsburgh) being that my grandparents were huge flea market shoppers they had us traveling all over pa and Ohio to the Amish markets. Now anything i see home made from PA is "wow the amish did an amazing job on that" Obviously i doubt they have a cnc but i did buy a sailboat years ago that had the swing keel rusted out, the po had an Amish blacksmith cast a new keel from scrap lead.

Never the less...your adapter looks super nice.

Fun fact for those who don't know much about the Amish, they can't own electronics/powered machines but if you "hire" them they can use all of your machinery. I'm sure many if you have seen contractors pick up a crew of Hispanic day labourers, well in PA and Ohio you can get a crew of Amish day labourers!

Oh...the blue door on Amish house does not mean they have a daughter available for courtship, this only a rumor.

Last edited:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Yeah, im surrounded my Amish. They do nice work. They have every kind of business you can think of. It does crack me up with where they draw the line of what they can and cannot use. They have cell phones (if its for their business) and have crazy LED lighting on their buggies..... but they cant use deodorant! haha PE-EW!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
They occasionally get busted for drugs or prostitution around here, one woman was doing eight Mennonite

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
We all got our vices!!

I never got to see it but my cousins always enjoyed a good drunken Amish carriage drag race thru town.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
So your cousin is Amish?