www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 6th, 2020, 15:13   #1
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Default Passat fun

Well, just decided I'd show a few things I did on my wagon the other day...
I had gotten the Passat with what was supposed as a failed head gasket. It had combustion gasses in the coolant and would lose the coolant very quickly. It had been my parents car, and they had loaned it to a friend in Chicago when it suddenly started having white smoke and losing coolant. He took it to a shop which quoted several thousand dollars to fix it. They decided not to have that shop do it and went to pick it up. I checked it out and tried clamping the EGR cooler lines to see if that was the problem. It still had exhaust in the coolant, so the assumption was made that it had a blown head gasket.
The car then sat over the winter time with only water in the cooling system, but thankfully it didn't break anything!
This spring, I found out that the cam was going out again on my wife's mkv Jetta, so I needed something else. I asked my dad about the Passat, and he offered it for a really good price. I then ordered a set of head studs from Whitbread performance and went to tear into the car. I pulled the EGR cooler off first and noticed that there was water in it... I decided to try blocking it off and seeing what happened. Sure enough, no compression in the coolant anymore! Great news! But, now I have the head studs, but don't need the gasket to be changed... Well that leads me to the other day.
I decided that while I was replacing the coolant temp sensor, I should put the studs in. Here's some photos of my fun!

I had to remove the intake manifold in order to put the one bolt in. I then realized that what I've heard about the bhw not having the problems of intakes becoming coked with carbon from the EGR isn't necessarily correct... My intake had a lot of carbon buildup which I cleaned out with the torch method. I also installed a block off plate for the EGR valve. I left the valve plugged in until I get the car tuned.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Old July 14th, 2020, 16:20   #2
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

I guess this is a kinda build thread...
The other day, the exhaust came apart behind the catalytic converter. I decided it was the time to get rid of the converter. So, I pulled it off and got a pipe bent to fit. I think it'll have a bit better exhaust flow now. If nothing else, there's more room down in that hole.

Old July 14th, 2020, 16:44   #3
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

And there it is! Much more room! You can even see light through the tunnel!

Old July 15th, 2020, 05:19   #4
santacll
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 15jetta_hl

Its nice when the damage is not as bad as expected, when i cleaned my passat wgn intake i got about enough crap ti half fill a a 2kg peanutbutter pot.

when you post pictures it would help if you resized the images to 800x600 0r 1024x768, if you don't have photo editing program IRFANVIEW does a nice job and its free.
santacll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2020, 11:03   #5
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

I hope this isn't the end of my journey with the wagon... The torque converter doesn't lock up, so I bought a cheap Eddie Bauer expedition and I'm towing it 1500 miles home to Missouri. Not the best idea of a vacation, but I'm grateful to God that everything worked out!

Old July 31st, 2020, 12:42   #6
santacll
Veteran Member

I didnt see where you indicated the mileage on the car. I am seeing quite a few in my area in the 400,000km range so if the body is good , a transmission is a relatively low cost to gettting back on the road.

I know there are those who say that german cars are an expensive addiction, with the high maintenance cost, but they are comfortable and provide driving feedback (sporty)
Old July 31st, 2020, 12:44   #7
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacll View Post
I didnt see where you indicated the mileage on the car. I am seeing quite a few in my area in the 400,000km range so if the body is good , a transmission is a relatively low cost to gettting back on the road.

I know there are those who say that german cars are an expensive addiction, with the high maintenance cost, but they are comfortable and provide driving feedback (sporty)
It has 227k miles. I'm thinking with the research I've been doing, that it's maybe electrical, such as the tcm wiring.

Old July 31st, 2020, 12:58   #8
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacll View Post

And a used transmission locally is $1200-2000 or reman for 5k if the transmission is bad, I'd probably go with a manual swap.

Old August 1st, 2020, 06:34   #9
santacll
Veteran Member

for the cost of a semi major repair (~ 1500-2500) some people would rather go into hawk for a new vehicle $30,000. which makes no sense, if all it provides is transportation, must be the new car smell or status...
Old August 1st, 2020, 06:52   #10
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Or there's me who went on copart and bought an expedition for $800 so I could have something to tow my car home.
There's no way I'm going to buy a new car with how much those things cost! Most cars cost more than I paid for my house and land! No thanks! I'll keep my hooptie!

Old August 1st, 2020, 08:39   #11
santacll
Veteran Member

the orphan passat sold 3 wks ago. it had suffered some major body work and was showing rust from first owner neglect. ran solid but i was happy to see it go, now on the hunt for a replacement, considering 11-14 golf, 04/05 golf or passat, all must be tdi. the 05 passat has a major attraction, due to the power output potential with a simple tune, downside is cam, bsm and trans.

found a number of 2012-2015 golfs mostly with low km, i want one with high km and lower price. the attraction is more reliable engine, even though the egr & DEF are worrysome, but are fixable . must have straight body no rust.

what would you do?
Old August 1st, 2020, 09:21   #12
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Eventually I'm wanting to get a Q7 TDI, since the family is growing. Most of the 2009+ TDI cars I've seen for sale are low mile, mostly because of the buy back, and they're fixing them and putting then back in circulation. In our area you can get a fairly nice one with less than 100k miles for $4-6k I've got another car, a mk4 Golf tdi which I'm getting ready to build. They're going for the same amount as the newer ones though!