help: mkiv climatronic swap

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
working on a climatronic swap into my mkiv 2001 jetta tdi

i've read and search the threads on vortex, tdiclub and ukmkiv forums

working with the t12 and t17 wire loom

question is i've found a few wires that have different connections listed on different write ups

one shows t12/2 going to t14/8 (rad fan control unit) while another write up shows t12/2 going to pin 2 of the ac pressure switch.

next is t12/9 going to t14/12 (rad fan control unit) while another shows t12/9 going to pin 1 of teh ac pressure switch

lastly is t17/7 going to fuse 16 (10A) while another shows it going to t14/4 (rad fan control unit)

any help with this is much appreciated

thanks

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
This is what I followed

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/300811.aspx

And according to this
t12/2 - T14/8 (rad fan control unit below battery)
t12/9 - T14/12 (rad fan control unit below battery)

T17/7 Mine is Blank completely

this is 100% working setup been running it since last summer

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yeah I was following that one.

Problem I've read about those hook ups is your ac doesn't work and then if you use the ac switch hook ups then the rad fan stays on.

Thanks for the info btw!

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
They are different setups, early Clima you have to hook up to AC switch

Later 2002+ you don't have to tap in to ac switch

There are only 4 wires going to the front of the car

2 Wires for outside Temp Sensor
2 Wires for Relay Fan
And there is a 3rd wires that bridges pins 5 & 14 and that is all the wires that you need to be concerned with

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Ah ic thanks.

So my car being a 2001 I need to worry about the ac switch or my climatronic being the later style that I don't?

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So finally got all the wiring done except the above rad fan control wires, pin 8 of my rad fan was red and blue not brown and blue as outlined in the DIY, and then pin 12 was empty.

Do I just run a new wire from pin 12 and then splice another wire off pin 8 and use that?

Then there was wires in pine 5 and 14, do I pop them out and use a jumper wire to connect the 2?

Thanks

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Picts .... I want detailed picts of each step of the installation :D LOL

MrVermin

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I am about to start my swap. I am using climatronic from an 04 and my car is a 00. Hopefully I have all my ducks in a row.

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Sorry almost forgot about this thread, I completed the installation and its been working problem free, just need to recharge the ac to make sure that works.

I only did the climatronic since I had to change my heater box anyways and I don't just replace, I upgrade whenever I can and the deal I got on the whole set up was way cheaper than replacing my original box.

I did a kinda write up of what I did, its pic heavy and I couldn't get all the pics resized properly.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3778622#post3778622

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Alright I have my unit in and a few issues. I have this code:

EOBD II Error Code: 01272

Fault Location:
Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70): Faulty

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connectors from/to Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70) faulty.
Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70) blocked.
Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70).
See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Perform Output Test.
Perform Basic Setting.
Check/Repair Wiring and Connectors.

I swapped the wiring between the other solenoid next to the v70 (v68 I think) and the problem stayed at v70? I did multiple output tests and some passed, while some failed. All threw the same 01272 v70 faulty code.

Also an unrelated issue is the radiator fans stay on all the time. Sounds like I need to wire to my AC switch instead. I wired to pins 8 and 12, and installed the jumper from 5 to 14.

MNShortBus

TDI
2003 GTI, 2014 Allroad
I'm hoping someone here can help me out... I have the kufatec harness as well but I am confused about what to do with the red/white wire that is going to fuse 16(10A).

How I supposed to connect this? or what needs to be changed on the stock wiring.

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just splice and butt connect unless it's an unused fuse location then you'll need a repair wire with the proper end.

I never hooked anything up to fuse 16 as stated above. Depends on the year of your car and the climatronic box you have I suppose.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
My fans are still staying on, and the temp display in the cluster is blank. Not sure if they are related.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Ah ic thanks.

So my car being a 2001 I need to worry about the ac switch or my climatronic being the later style that I don't?

How I know that my car has the later system?

My fan Control module is 1J0 919 506 with 14pin connector.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
I always tell people to ignore the wire colours as they are different on several systems.

I thought I might as well chime in as I've done several of the wiring diagrams and lists on the DIYs and How To threads. If I can help in any way I'll try to.

Nash_TDI - that sort of fault usually indicates a faulty servo motor.

You may have a faulty fan controller which is causing the fans to stay on. This is the normal cause. It doesn't always show a fault on the ecu.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
You may have a faulty fan controller which is causing the fans to stay on. This is the normal cause. It doesn't always show a fault on the ecu.
I am about to start messing with mine again. Not worried about the servo motor fault. I took them all apart and they seem to be working just giving a fault. Don't want to replace them are 200 a pop.

I am more concerned about the fans staying on. I have tried 3 fan modules, including most recently a brand new unit.

So..... back to the drawing board.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
They're about 20 a pop if you take one out of a junk yard. They're just awkward to get to.

Have you seen the fan poll synopsis on ukmkivs? It outlines how to test fans and modules and how to fix faults.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I think so. I checked the triangle connector whichever one that is. There aren't that many climatronic cars to pull from around here either.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
Here's the thread for anyone else with fan problems. http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/59897/488123.aspx

It's worth a read.

Do you have a full list of the connections you made during the swap? and we'll see if there's anything out of the ordinary. If you used the existing wires in the 10 pin connector on the standard ac system there are a couple of cuts to make so you don't have a loop in the system.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Bazmcc do you know if the 044J Passat version Climatronic module actually works in a Golf?

If you recode it of course to a "Golf", or does it just not worlk at all?

The Golf unit is usually 044C, B or A

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
In the passats the head units were usually the thin ones. I put a couple on a test rig a couple of years ago and they basically just wouldn't work properly at all. That was just a quick power up test and it didn't want to play ball. I could look into it more and check the wiring diagrams but i think the power and earth lines might have a different configuration.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
The headunit wiring differences are llisted here:

http://www.passatplus.de/umbauten/climatronic/3BG_in_3B/index.htm

If the softcoding change worked (from "Passat" to "Golf" application) was wondering whether that would actually change the active pin outs back to the Golf configuration?

All the pins are on the back of both units. The Golf 044C unit is a "thin" one as well. Visually identical to the 044J Passat unit.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
It would appear that the hardware is different. A bit like the clusters. There are only a couple of passat clusters that match up to the MK4 golf/bora/jetta perfectly. Most of them have different circuitry on the boards. The only way to know if the hardware was the same would be to open both of them.

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Hi just retrofit Climatronic on my Golf mk4, it's fully functional:D But I'm wondering what's the function on T14/12 pin on FCM, anyone has a clue?

edit: wrong pin:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
It's joined to T14/5 on the same plug in the climatronic system.
On a normal AC system it has the exact same connection... EXCEPT between the 2 there is an ambient temp switch/tenp sender to turn the compressor off.