new to me Passat wagon... manual!

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Passat wagon TDI 5MT
I haven't bought a car yet this year and ever since I got the stage 4 tune on my jetta, I want all the TDIs!
05, 170k miles, recent cam, timing, water pump, and oil pump. Stage 2 tune. Came to the rust belt from Florida 3 years ago (about when I drove my Jetta home from Florida). Everything is great less the clutch. It chatters and grabs about as high as possible (doesn't slip though), I've never stalled a diesel until now. Seller claims it's a southbend stage 2 endurance, and the pedal feels exactly like the one I have in my Jetta (same clutch). He said aluminum single mass flywheel, threw me off a bit, (I only know of steel flywheels for these cars) english isn't his first language though, there was some barrier.
Transmission swap was done 20k miles ago and he claims it has always been that way. I got under it today and bled the line, reservoir was over filled, but It still chatters and I can hear a bad throw out bearing. It even chatters with gear changes. Come to think of it, the last car I heard with a bad TOB was a 240sx I had many years ago, I always blamed the chatter on the un sprung hub.
Hmm, I initially thought that the clutch may be misaligned. Now I wonder, can a Bad TOB cause chatter?
The trans is pretty smooth shifting, some vibration on the shifter at highway speeds (which are 2400 revs at 75!)

I have to find a replacement piece of the roof rack, it's a real eye sore because it's the front drivers side piece. no luck so far..

beefy plate!

I love the wheels, but I drive 600 miles a week and want the fuel economy more than the look, plus the sticky tires on there won't last long. They are for sale. As are the Ice x tires on the factory wheels, just ordered some all season performance sumitomos, I have them on almost all my cars lol

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I have the southbend modified endurance clutch on my stage 2 tune 05 sedan. Only about 200 miles on it since i converted from a different clutch set up.

I used the valeo 1.8t clutch flyweel kit which is about a 20 lbs solid steel flyweel. I have zero chatter. It does release pretty far up.

The entire clutch flyweel set up is about 300 bucks shipped, another 325 for south bend to do their magic to the clutch and pressure plate.

The assembly fits on a 20 dollar usps flat rate box.

Assembly comes with a new t.o.b.

Another memember on here had a light weight flyweel and unsprung clutch, also didnt have a 5 speed tune so it rev hung. Im not sure if it was all three factors or one more than the others but he kept eating synchros until he got the tune and a proper clutch and flyweel set up. Id be hesitant to run long on one of those 14lbs flywheels. You dont have a transmission that can be picked up at the local lkq

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
Where can I get this specific clutch setup that you have?
The car is tuned for a manual trans, no rev hang.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
valeo 52285615

Amazon has them currently.

Keep in mind you'd still need southbend to do the endurance work on it for another 325

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
What determines the release point? Personally, I despise a high clutch release.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The dumbed down 630 am version, they reset the pressure plate and give the disk a high endurance better grip surface. Don't hesitate to call jon and ask specifics.

Clutch release is determined by the pressue plate. Our slave cylinders are not adjustable.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I bled the clutch line Sunday and I've got a few hundred miles on the car now. I've spoken to a few shops about it and general consensus is that it's just a nuisance and It won't cause any issues. I'm not going to worry unless it slips.
I'm anxious to get these 30lb rims off, took the snows of the OE rims today, came home and weighed them at 26lbs! DAMN, 17x7... I've been doing some searching and tirerack and discount tire direct have plenty of 17x... in the teens many for under 100 a piece (from discount tire). I checked out ECS (where the 19s came from) and all but the RPF1s (which i've never really cared for) were over 20lbs.
I guess I'm not going to be finding anything like the forged aluminum OZ rims from the lancer that I've put on my Hondas in the past... But sub 20lb for 17x7 even by 8 isn't too much to ask, or is it?!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Youll get the best mpgs out of stock or equal to stock 16 inch wheels/tires.

Playing with lowering the car to look good on low pro 17 or 18 inch tires will ruin the handling and increase tire wear as to get the audi tucked look you need adjustable control arms($$$) and the rear isnt adjustable enough to make up the difference. Neither is the bump stop adjustment for that matter. If you want to squeeze the most mpgs out of it get back to complete stock and you'll have tires that last for years.

Low pros on stock suspension look like a 4x4 and suck the mpg on larger/wider tires.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
Certainly, that's why I'm taking the 19s off. The sticky tires won't last long with my commute either. I settled on some 21.6lb 17x7.5s to go with the 225/45s I have.
So far I am at 250 miles with 5/8 tank left, I'm hoping to be near 45mpg, I'll know soon.
Changed the trans fluid yesterday. Almost a quart came out when I pulled the fill plug.
I don't know what was in there, but I filled with some Fuchs Sintofluid 75w80 and the 1-2 crunch before the trans warms up is gone! And you can slap the shifter and it falls right into gear.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I have a converted W8 to TDI AWD. Originally it was the W8 performance model and it came with 17" rims. These go through tires like crazy. The last set only lasted about 50,000 km. They were not cheap tires either, they were Toyo tires.

Now I am trying continentals made for extra load. Hoping they will last longer!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I love the look of a b5.5 tucked on some skinny 17 or even 18 audi s model take offs.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I had a southbend endurance in my alh golf. chattered like mad. hated it.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
South bend makes clutches from daily driver to extreme race, my worked over valeo from south bend is grippy but even with less than miles on her didnt chatter. Im using the heavy 20 some odd lbs single mass valeo flyweel. 228mm

My fx300 from clutch masters that didn't last a year for double the price, it chattered like mad the first 2000 miles

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a converted W8 to TDI AWD. Originally it was the W8 performance model and it came with 17" rims. These go through tires like crazy. The last set only lasted about 50,000 km. They were not cheap tires either, they were Toyo tires.

Now I am trying continentals made for extra load. Hoping they will last longer!
You have an awesome converted TDI! What do you like about the AWD compared to the FWD?
Most tire companies make a sticky tire and an endurance tire. What model have you ran?

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I love the look of a b5.5 tucked on some skinny 17 or even 18 audi s model take offs.
It's not quite tucked, I cleared a dead raccoon the other day! but it's low.
My first tank was... 35 mpg. ouch, heavy rims and a stuck open T-stat I hope are to blame. ECS just shipped my stat and my rims are set to ship on the 20th.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a southbend endurance in my alh golf. chattered like mad. hated it.
The stage two southbend endurance on my jetta is beautiful! (ALH BTW) As far as clutches go I can't ask anything more. Grabs right in the middle and chatter is completely non existent. It's been a while since I purchased it, but it came with a single mass flywheel. I bought the kit from Kerma, and it cost me. Oh, and BTW, **** Kerma.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
You have an awesome converted TDI! What do you like about the AWD compared to the FWD?
Most tire companies make a sticky tire and an endurance tire. What model have you ran?
AWD is amazing. I live down a steep muddy hill and I can get up no problem - even better that most 4wd trucks. In the snowit is amazing. The power adjusts to the wheels that have traction. Just so secure and tons of control. It does hurt the mpg a bit.

The last tires were Toyo Versado. I forget any more details than that. Now I have ContiProContact.

Last edited: