Flashing Glow Plug Light

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
My kids called me last night from 300 miles away to tell me the glow plug light is flashing will going down the road. Car starts and runs OK. Any insight as to what I might be getting into when they get home Sunday?
Thanks
Greg

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
Have them check if the brakelights and cruise are working. It could be as simple as a blown brake switch, or a fuse. The brake switch is a piece of cake to change, it only took me 10 or so minutes when mine went.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Where is "300 miles away"? Maybe another forum member can get to them and diagnose today so you can get any part that might be needed and have on hand tomorrow?

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
The car still runs and everything seems to be working. I will just wait till they get home. I just replaced the 109 relay this week.
Greg

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
Well this what the Bentley CD has to say about a flashing glow plug light.

Blinking: A malfunction has been recognized which affects handling. Stored malfunctions can be displayed by either the VAG 1551 or VAG 1552 Scan Tool.

When it says affects handling that has me really wondering. ABS system possibly? But I think the malfunction indicator light would come on for that.

All I have to say is thank god for Fred's and Vag Com.

Greg

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
ditto here on the brake switch for the cruise. The adjuster was pushed in a click too far.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
Well after talking with my son in detail while he is on his way home. The cruise control was not working the other night when the glow plug light was flashing. Today on the way home the cruise works and the glow plug light is not flashing. As you fine fellows said above sounds like the brake switch.
Thanks guys again for the help. We will get it fixed tomorrow.

Greg