Purchasing 2015 Jetta TDI SE Tomorrow

Motorbreath

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
First VW (or car that I actually own) and was wondering if you guys have any good starter tips. I planning on reading the manual a couple times. My 2 friends both have older Jetta TDIs and they love them. Can't seem to find a good answer regarding the types of diesel, I assume I should only use diesel #2 since I won't be making any modifications to my engine.

My first 2 projects for the car would be:
1. Find phone mount for my Moto X
2. Over the summer, run a wire from the battery to the trunk to install subs and some additional speakers

Last edited:

Victor Ward

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT
You're off to a good start. The first thing you should do when buying any car is read the manual (more than once). Learn as much about the vehicle as you can.
Buy all your diesel from a well traveled gas station that will always have fresh blends for the current season in the tanks.
Aside from that its a new car so no worries.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
1 don't put gas in it
2 good idea to read the manual
3. think about an OBD dongle to show more info on your phone. (ross-tech if you can afford it)
4. drive easy in the snow.
5. My uncle used to say, take a ball peen hammer and smack the fender so you can stop worrying about that first dent. (I never followed that advice)

congrats and enjoy the new ride.

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
Basically the diesel you use should be from the pump with the sticker saying highway diesel 15pm ultra-low sulfur diesel. I have seen and almost made a mistake of pumping in diesel from a pump which said 400ppm (a Shell gas station) although I don't know if it would have caused damage.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: If you happen to share your car with others, DO NOT let them fill the tank for you. Do it yourself as they may accidentally fill it with gasoline.

Black_Smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003 and 2014 TDI Jettas and a fairly speedy '05 Duramax
ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: If you happen to share your car with others, DO NOT let them fill the tank for you. Do it yourself as they may accidentally fill it with gasoline.
Yes, running gas through your fuel system is pretty hard on the equipment, to say the least.

There is a thingy in the filler neck that won't allow a standard sized gasoline nozzle in. Standard diesel pump nozzles are larger. This reduces the chances of a catastrophe.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Does anyone know a good remote starter brand to install in Jetta?
Clifford must be professionally installed but work great and if you want you can get the smart start module that hooks to your smart phone and allows you to start your car any were in the world. I love mine. Oh and my remote has a mile of range. :) I mostly got my remote start for the summer months black car black interior. Diesel's don't heat up like a normal car you have to drive them for them to heat up eventually they will heat up but it takes forever.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Basically the diesel you use should be from the pump with the sticker saying highway diesel 15pm ultra-low sulfur diesel. I have seen and almost made a mistake of pumping in diesel from a pump which said 400ppm (a Shell gas station) although I don't know if it would have caused damage.

All on road diesel is ultra low sulfur. Illinois has very few straight diesel stations with almost all being B11. Best to decide if you want to search or just use what's available to you locally.

Have fun with your new ride.

Motorbreath

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Just bought it and drove home tonight (Thursday I couldn't get it). Bought the TDI Rubber mats upgrade since I live in Chicago, SO WORTH IT over carpet.

Was getting 40 MPG averaging ~30 mph in traffic in stop and go city traffic.

Motorbreath

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
How does glow plug work with key-less start? Will the engine wait until the glow light turns off to start? It's starting to get cold again in Chicago and the manual isn't clear on how it works.