Best Place for Mic and GPS antenna for aftermarket head unit - 2006 GOLF

nmedeiros

TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI
Just about to get a new pioneer avic x920bt installed in my golf to replace the monsoon radio. The unit has built in bluetooth and navigation. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the best place to install the mic for bluetooth and the gps antenna for navigation. I want this to appear as integrated as possible and I hate seeing after market components.

Let me know if you have any experience or suggestions!

Thanks

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I have a Pioneer BT head unit in my Jetta. I had the mic mounted on top of the column and it was OK. I moved it to the top of the A-pillar trim, mounted with a clip and it works much better. Just hid the wire behind the trim, through the fuse area and over to the stereo, looks clean. It might be a little high for the vertically challenged, but is perfect for me (6'5").

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my 2006 Golf, and I have a decent setup, methinks.

The GPS antenna works great when put on the crash bar behind the instrument cluster and keeps it inside the vehicle, well out of sight. Works about 90% as well as having it on the roof with a 0% chance of scratching the paint, attracting thieves or having issues routing the antenna. I also have the Sirius antenna on this location as well.

I also have the BT unit and its microphone is clipped to the visor. The cable runs near the visor hinge (with a generous stress relief service loop) and is tucked into the A-pillar trim and run down to the BT unit above the driver's side kick panel where the Sirius tuner also lives.

EDIT: here's a bad picture of the mic & wire routing.

Last edited: