TDI swap into '73 Opel Manta - which transmission?

Jetmugg

Veteran Member
TDI
None
For "inline" conversions, what is a good/popular transmission to use behind an mTDI converted AHU?

I see the off-road crowd using Toyota truck 5-speeds or JEEP stuff, but it seems like this might not be a great choice for a small, light, sporty car like an Opel Manta.

I've done a google search, but haven't come up with anything handy in terms of a modern 5 or 6 speed trans that is readily adaptable to a TDI engine for a longitudinal conversion.

I figured it would be a good idea to start with this question on the best source of TDI info before digging too deep down any other rabbit holes.

Thanks,

Steve.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
First off, you probably need to find out the ring and pinion ratio before settling on a transmission. I think the original Opels of that era used a 1.9L gasser with sub-100hp, so the R&P ratios were probably short to compensate. It could be a cool project.

Jetmugg

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Will most likely be an ALH (or possibly AHU) 1.9L TDI, converted to mechanical TDI by way of a Dieselmeken-modified injection pump and injectors. The stock rearend ratio is either 3.44 or 3.67 (need to check this particular car), but there is also a 3.18 ratio available from an Opel Kadett. It looks like I will be running 205/50/15 tires, so about 23" diameter.

Jetmugg

Veteran Member
TDI
None

I can picture it in my mind, blowing puffs of black smoke between shifts, carving corners and turning heads....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well unless it is sick or overfueled, it won't be blowing black anything.

The Toyota 20R/22R/22RE was also used in Celicas and Coronas, not just trucks. And the later Aisin 6sp manuals that are used in the later trucks are also used in the IS250 and the Cadillac CTS, oddly enough. So I would not brand the "truck" transmission all that special that it cannot or should not be used in anything else.

Neat project. There was a guy here not all that long ago at a show that I saw that had a Manta with a "modern" Opel driveline in it from a Saturn Sky.

Jetmugg

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thanks - I'll have to look into the IS250 / CTS versions of the Aisin transmissions. The key will be getting it to "bolt up" to the VW block, typically by means of an adapter plate.

Any idea if the Aisin versions use an integral bellhousing, or a design with interchangeable bellhousings?

Steve.

A-man930

Veteran Member
TDI
Planning Stages: ALH Jeep MJ
Thanks - I'll have to look into the IS250 / CTS versions of the Aisin transmissions. The key will be getting it to "bolt up" to the VW block, typically by means of an adapter plate.

Any idea if the Aisin versions use an integral bellhousing, or a design with interchangeable bellhousings?

Steve.
As I understand what is the Jeep AX15 5-speed exists in multiple forms across multiple makes. Of notable mention are the Supra and the Sky / Solstice; "sporty cars" that used variants of this design. Some have interchangeable bells but some do not. I'll have to re-find some of the resource articles that have been written on this and post up the link(s).
An adapter from EVguy or Acme or whoever should be available to get you hooked up to a trans. in this family that suits your needs.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nice swap idea. I always liked the Opel Manta. I had the good fortune of renting one with my Dad on my first trip to LA in 1974, and we drove up the coast to San Francisco. Nice driving car, despite the rental being an automatic, of course. Great idea for a TDI swap.

I'd encourage you to consider swapping an engine harness and not going mTDI. There's a lot to gain from keeping the drive by wire aspect of the TDI, in power and fuel economy. And it's not too difficult, at least according to folks who've done it in Rabbits and Ford Rangers, if you get an non-immo ECU and engine harness. Something to consider.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
If using a EVguy or Acme adapter plate for the 22r you will need to use a w56 (G52 may also work?) bell housing. You can then bolt several different w-series transmissions to that same bellhousing depending on what gear ratios fit best with your application as discussed.

I would second the advice to stay eTDI - ditching the wiring for the pump doesn't really save you that much work - and then you lose a lot of tuneability. IMMO is no big deal to turn off if you find a newer donor. Most tuners charge very little to do this - or if you find the right software online you can do it yourself in 5 min.

Jetmugg

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thanks, everyone. I still have a lot to learn about the various transmission options / adapter plates / combinations. This forum is a big help.

As far as the mTDI versus electronic control, I have worked with Goran Lindgren (Dieselmeken) on several projects previously. He will be supplying the injection pump and injectors for this engine. The Manta may be used as a test-mule for a 1.9L TDI which could find its way into a land speed racing application.

Steve.