2 stroke oil in your diesel = smiles?

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Your experience is anecdotal and as valuable as mine. I used additives and the only change I saw was paying for something that made no change.
Perhaps the change was not something you could see at all but rather feel. I did say by the seat of my pants. Better lubrication will most notably decrease vibration.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
When my diesel van was n/a, it was very sensitive to additives, some I could gain 2 mpg, most of them got me 1 mpg. The only one that got me 2 mpg was a local blender, blanking out on his product right now, :(

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Ok, you're entitled to that opinion. You could say they don't need diesel rated motor oil, and that your car runs just fine on conventional 10w-30. It wouldn't be particularly helpful, but...
Btw- your car has a turbo, which in fact does contain a small turbine.
So what your saying is that we need turbine oil added to our fuel?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Forget this confusion....I'm adding olive oil. :D

Extra Virgin too...Which is rumored to be just regular oil oil blended with EV oil anyways.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Forget this confusion....I'm adding olive oil. :D
Extra Virgin too...Which is rumored to be just regular oil oil blended with EV oil anyways.
Should work great! Just remember to convert it to fatty acid methyl esther first.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^I prefer hemp oil, the car does seem pretty apathetic when I use it though...

edit: sarcasm...

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
The mix for two stroke oil is some 200:1 but would be nice to see a test on say 100:1 I would think better lubrication for all as just make fuel that much better. Anyone running a richer mix of oil compared to the tested 200:1 I have been running some 20 Oz's a tank rather then 12 in my 10 Jetta and seems to like it more so.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
As the Spicer study showed, biodiesel lubricity reaches close to the maximum with 2% concentrations. Adding more than 200:1 ratio of 2 stroke oil is unlikely to significantly increase fuel lubricity. And it's not as lubricating as biodiesel.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
As the Spicer study showed, biodiesel lubricity reaches close to the maximum with 2% concentrations. Adding more than 200:1 ratio of 2 stroke oil is unlikely to significantly increase fuel lubricity. And it's not as lubricating as biodiesel.
What about other properties such as aromatics, BTU impact?

Probably hard to test I would say.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

I run my diesels on kero (jet A1). I sent off samples for testing. The HFRR wear testing was quite informative.

1) straight kero did not have enough lubricity, with a wear scar number around 650.

2) Adding Stanadyne lubricity additive, as directed, brought the number down to a more reasonable level, around the maximum value allowed for diesel (around 450). Safe? Not really.

3) Adding a double dose of Stanadyne lubricity additive and 100 to 1 Penzoil outboard engine oil brought the wear scar number down to 255, a very good number. This is the mix I use. It's clean running, it lubricates pumps and injectors very well and there are no internal engine wear issues.

I've been doing this for many years now. It works in any conventional diesel. However, I'd never do this in a modern, emission controlled engine. Mostly due to high sulfur content.
^ This

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
Where is the best place to buy this stuff? I can find Pennzoil Marine XLF TC-W3 for $18 at a local Walmart and Stanadyne Lubricity 1/2 Gallon for $20 ($16 shipping) at thoroughbreddiesel. I searched my local auto shops and I was only able to find 16oz bottles at $8 as well.

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
one time i had my low fuel light on for a while in the middle of nowhere, so i poured about half a gallon of walmart TC-w3 that i had sitting in my trunk into the tank. ran just fine, aside little bit of blue-ish smoke ;)

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
If 200:1 is good is 100:1 even better or lets say 110:1. My 2010 Jetta is some 55 liters to the tank so 1/2 liter will make it the 110:1
I know there is additive's but the 2 stroke oil is cheaper and possibly a better lube compared to most additives I believe.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
one time i had my low fuel light on for a while in the middle of nowhere, so i poured about half a gallon of walmart TC-w3 that i had sitting in my trunk into the tank. ran just fine, aside little bit of blue-ish smoke ;)
I once came extremely close to doing the same thing on Alt. 89 in Kaibab national forest next to the grand canyon. Fortunately a fuel station appeared magically at Jacob Lake.:D

DieselCologne

TDI
1998 Jetta 2012 Sportwagen
I have been using PS Silver, Stanadyne, etc. for years... Jumped on the Optilube Summer/XPD bandwagon around 2010 or so. I have always used synthetic oils... Delvac 1, RT6, M1TDT since my 1998 AHU TDI was new. Great running motor that I have cared for well.

I read the LS1 "Sarge" thread over the years...

I just did a comprehensive "refresh" on the car. The only engine related bits in my overhaul were new OEM mounts/bolts, and an "Old Poopie" TB kit. I refined the timing via VCDS. Runs wonderfully.

I have checked this thread periodically over time, so I decided to give the TC-W3 a go in a very healthy engine.

I just finished my first tank of SS 50 cetane, 7 oz. Super Tech TC-W3, and 7 oz. PS silver bottle.

I am now a believer in the TC-W3/PS concoction. The throttle response is improved, torque feels better, and idle noise is diminished a bit. No smoke and no excessive odor.

I will continue to use the WM Super Tech TC-W3 with PS Silver and drop the Opti...

EDIT - I did change the fuel temp sensor and top IP gasket during my "overhaul"... Nothing was wrong, did it solely while "being there" on an 18 year old vechicle. All was good and certainly now IS good.

The TC-W3/PS Silver/SS 50 cetane blend I reference is for my 1998 AHU engine. I really can tell a difference in performance using the TC-W3 added in at sane ratios. I'll adhere to this blend for a bit and see how it goes. Like it thus far.

Do as you wish, Additives or NONE. It is ultimately up to your decision.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
1/4 gallon tcw3 and 1/2 bottle PS for last few tanks. Like you mentioned better pedal feel. Been backing off the bio since we already are getting b5 here at the pump. Think will just go with using the 2 stroke oil and save the money on the PS

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I have been using PS Silver, Stanadyne, etc. for years... Jumped on the Optilube Summer/XPD bandwagon around 2010 or so. I have always used synthetic oils... Delvac 1, RT6, M1TDT since my 1998 AHU TDI was new. Great running motor that I have cared for well.

I read the LS1 "Sarge" thread over the years...

I just did a comprehensive "refresh" on the car. The only engine related bits in my overhaul were new OEM mounts/bolts, and an "Old Poopie" TB kit. I refined the timing via VCDS. Runs wonderfully.

I have checked this thread periodically over time, so I decided to give the TC-W3 a go in a very healthy engine.

I just finished my first tank of SS 50 cetane, 7 oz. Super Tech TC-W3, and 7 oz. PS silver bottle.

I am now a believer in the TC-W3/PS concoction. The throttle response is improved, torque feels better, and idle noise is diminished a bit. No smoke and no excessive odor.

I will continue to use the WM Super Tech TC-W3 with PS Silver and drop the Opti...
There are a ton of newbies here, so it might be a good idea to clearly identify WHICH CAR you're discussing in each and every post. It can get confusing.

tdic

TDI
01 Jetta
I came across this thread while deciding on whether to add 2-stoke oil to my diesel or not. I haven't been doing it long enough to really truly say whether it helps or not. That being said I am a believer; my ALH has over 400000km on the injection pump, and my nozzles are definitely past their best by date (had another set of injectors which I used to tune them up), so they need all the help they can get.

I've been running Standyne Performance (at 500:1) combined ashless s-stroke oil (at 200:1) on every fill up for the last 15000km or so. I finally ran out of my Standyne the other day, and thought I'd do some reading to see if there's something better I could use (remembering that Standyne Performance was number 8 on Herm's list on page 2)

I came across a report; the only true study of 2-stroke oil in diesel fuel I've seen yet (aside from what member have experienced, which is what sold me on it in the first place). The report comes out of South Africa, so take that for what you want. The fuels they tested were euro diesel, and "market diesel", I think it would be fair to say that our diesel here in North America is probably somewhere in between the two.

The report is a really good read, and I think truly unbiased.

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

tdic

TDI
01 Jetta
I see your logic, but think about this.

Due to liabilities a manufacturer can only recommend a product for use with their product once they have tested it, and determined that it is beneficial for use, or at the very least not detrimental. It is simply just not economical to test every single product out there. That's where the end user comes in; we test, and modify to our hearts content, and post on forums like this one for the greater good of all

tdic

TDI
01 Jetta
I see your logic, but think about this...

Due to liabilities a manufacturer has to test a product for use with their product, to see if it is beneficial, or at the very least not detrimental. It is just simply not economical to test every single product out there. That's where the end user comes in; we modify, and test to our hearts content, and then post our findings on forums like this one for the greater good of all

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I see your logic, but think about this.

Due to liabilities a manufacturer can only recommend a product for use with their product once they have tested it, and determined that it is beneficial for use, or at the very least not detrimental. It is simply just not economical to test every single product out there. That's where the end user comes in; we test, and modify to our hearts content, and post on forums like this one for the greater good of all
I don't see any testing going on here. All I see is anecdotal stories about how "quiet" the engine is now or how "smooth" it drives. This is just a placebo affect. Real testing would involve thousands of cars and transmissions to make a determination about additives. You are right - manufacturers aren't going to test every possible additive to see if there is any benefit. They don't have to; they already know that diesel fule works perfectly fine all by itself.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Think logically; why would 2-stroke oil be good for your diesel? If it was good, wouldn't all diesel manufacturers recommend it?
For the same reason it's good for your chainsaw. Lubrication. Seemed to help significantly in the Spicer study. A real test, with real data.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
The Spice study that was done over ten years ago? Is that applicable to modern common rail diesel engines using an HPFP? And again, if it is applicable to modern diesels, why don't the manufacturer of diesel engines recommend additives?