Petition Chevrolet for a 2.9L V-6 Diesel Camaro RS

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
When I got my Car & Driver yesterday there was some nice shots of the 2010 Camaro and the 3.6L V-6 Camaro. They are looking at producing a version with their turbo 260 BHP Ecotec 2.0L in light of the rise in fuel costs. I wrote them at the followiing link last night:

http://www.chevrolet.com/contactus/getinformation/

This is what I sent them last night and they actually called me and we talked for 15 minutes about my request:

"Can I PLEASE implore GM to put their new 2.9 liter V-6 clean diesel into the new 2010 Camaro in lieu of the 260 BHP Ecotec 2.0 liter inline 4??? Wake up and be the leader in this country to provide a performance car with performance and fuel economy with a diesel engine!!! Look at what BMW is about to bring into this country with its new 3 Series diesel in the 2009 model year. Take charge with this great new model and bring this car/engine combo together ASAP. The high cost of engineering NVH and emissions has been done already with your European Cadillac CTS. How much more could it be to modify this for the new Camaro??? This combo will be much more of an image builder for GM and Chevrolet then using the Ecotec high performance turbo 4. Also mate this diesel engine with a 6 speed MANUAL transmission with gear ratios that will take advantage of the lower end punch and acceleration along with very low rpms for highway cruising and better fuel mileage. Let me know if there is any hope of this combination becoming a reality and I will start saving my money to buy one of the first ones off the production line!!! Thanks for reading."

I referred them to this site to see proof that there are Diesel performance enthusiasts and that they can sell these kind of cars to people here in North America. I also told them about BMW, Audi, and even Porsche will be bringing Diesels here so Chevy is in a position to be the only American automaker to produce a performance oriented Diesel Sports Car with some good real world fuel economy. I was surprised someone called me and listened and took notes from GM. I don't know that it will do any good but if others write them it can't hurt! I for one would love a Diesel performance Sports Car.

Clicking on the link above should get you where you can send in your request and petition.

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
...wow.

You know, there's a lot of cars that I wouldn't mind seeing diesels in, but I can't say the Camaro is one of them. It seems to me that it should keep with its heritage of being low tech. If you buy one for efficiency you're kinda doing it wrong, you know? I don't think even the turbo-4 gasser is appropriate either. Hell, I don't even see the point of the V-6!

Now, putting that in something like the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky, on the other hand...:cool: And, of course, it obviously ought to go in both the midsize and full-size pickup trucks (but a diesel I4 for the midsize ones would be even better). Now that's something I wouldn't mind writing GM about!

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
i'd be interested in a diesel "fifth gen" camaro.
but i'm unlikely to be buying a car for >5 years.
also i figure there's 0% chance Chevy will put a diesel engine in camaro.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
Actually the base Camaro will have a DI gasoline V6. The same engine is an option on the Cadillac CTS.

mrchaotica said:
...It seems to me that it should keep with its heritage of being low tech.

testy_SOB

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 1998, Red
Like this??

Don't normally do this kind of thing... but was in an unusally Testy mood tonight (post debate blues).

So here is what I sent:

"I am really interested in the new Camero. But, I am also interested in advanced technology and fuel economy. Why not introduce this car with your new 2.9L clean diesel engine (or other similar size diesels)?? I would love to hold out for an American car, but with Audi and BMW bringing real perfomance, good looks, and diesel economy, I could very well be buying German instead. It is truely sad that well designed cars and powertrain combos are being left to the Germans to send to the US rather then have an American car company provide real options to their own home market."

Flailing at windmills I'm afraid......:cool:

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Sounds great. I agree its a long shot but who knows maybe GM will get a wake up call if they hear from people. I was shocked someone even bothered to call let alone the next day on a Saturday.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
GM and high tech are mutually exclusive concepts,

This is a firm that has bragged about having the same engine in production for 50 years. (A POS engine I might add.)

To think it's future portends much else is unlikely and is so far from related to German cars as to be a ludicrous notion.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Not a chance.

If you move to Asia you could buy a Chevrolet Colorado with a GM diesel (not Isuzu).

GM is anti diesel for cars in the US.