Another Disbenefit to NOx Emission Reductions Discovered

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I'll take emissions regulations seriously when they are based on grams per mile per passenger, rather than "parts per million." It makes no sense that a Suburban getting 12 mpg is considered "clean" while a TDI getting 50+ is "dirty."

We all pay the same taxes and drive on the same roads. A guy commuting in a TDI should be able to produce the same AMOUNT of pollution as the guy in the Suburban. Basing regs on the CONCENTRATION of pollutants only encourages gas guzzling.

-mickey

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Man, that drives me crazy. I can look past a lot of things in this world, but the amount of people driving around alone, hauling nothing, in full size V8 pickups day in and day out just drives me nuts.
Don't forget about those crappy V6 Ecoboost engines in the F150, that get an astounding 15mpg while also towing nothing (and having no power to boot).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Don't forget about those crappy V6 Ecoboost engines in the F150, that get an astounding 15mpg while also towing nothing (and having no power to boot).

Hmmm... my Dad's 2015 F150 would disagree with you. It has LOTS of power, enough to break the tires loose on dry ground from a standstill and accelerate briskly all the way up well into illegal speeds, and gets mid-20s on the highway at moderate speeds. Just like most F150s sold, it will rarely get a heavy load, or even a moderate load, so who cares if the fuel economy drops then?

It is an ugly, and totally unnecessary vehicle, his retirement playtoy that spends most of its time in the farm shop building under a cover, but it DOES perform pretty well.

Can't speak to its longevity as it is totally new for 2015. And I also think it will give the 2018 diesel F150 (if that even happens) a good run for the money in terms of dollars and sense for most F150 purchasers.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Hmmm... my Dad's 2015 F150 would disagree with you. It has LOTS of power, enough to break the tires loose on dry ground from a standstill and accelerate briskly all the way up well into illegal speeds, and gets mid-20s on the highway at moderate speeds. Just like most F150s sold, it will rarely get a heavy load, or even a moderate load, so who cares if the fuel economy drops then?
Touche. Yup, I hardly ever see F150's pulling much, although sometimes I do see them with a trailer, and I'm always passing them up in the Golf, also with a trailer.

I figured out one problem with the F150 rental I had - when I floored it, I loosened a boost hose on one side of the engine. It still ran on the way back to the rental car dealership, although it ran like s#!t. Had to floor it a few times just to make it up some of the grades. You'd think they'd tighten those boost hoses better (truck only had about 6500 miles on it).

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
The other NOX disbenefit has caused us to CRUSH THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND FUEL EFFICIENT CARS.
To be clear, VW is crushing those cars not you and me. They could have launched into a "make right" campaign that put in the urea injection and compensated for the performance they lied about. Instead, they made bucks against the competition that did, and the customers who endlessly chased P0401.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hehe, yeah, P0401 is easily deleted, too. ;)

And what is great about no more EGR/DPF/etc. that the oil stays so clean you can go twice, maybe even thrice, as long. Amazing how "clean" these "dirty" engines can be. Not to mention the solid 5+ MPG bump, let alone the extra power (if you want it).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Hehe, yeah, P0401 is easily deleted, too. ;)

And what is great about no more EGR/DPF/etc. that the oil stays so clean you can go twice, maybe even thrice, as long. Amazing how "clean" these "dirty" engines can be. Not to mention the solid 5+ MPG bump, let alone the extra power (if you want it).
Sometimes. If I drive with a light foot, or when I've let my mother borrow my JSW, I'll see good fuel economy (I think she usually gets 42-44mpg on it, as opposed to about 10mpg lower on her BEW). When I drive it, figure about 33-35, but I'm also having fun with it.

Can't personally attest to the oil being clean, since it seems I need to add oil to both cars about every 5-6K between change intervals.