Sad in Seattle selling 04 jetta wagon tdi gls 5 speed

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
SOLD!!!!! Sad in Seattle selling 04 jetta wagon tdi gls 5 speed

Hello all
I first posted in the Buying and selling? Read first" section....
So here I am, sadly posting my man for sale. Let me tell you about Gilbert
Gil is a blue 2004 Jetta wagon TDI GLS 5 speed.
He has 288K
He has gray leather interior and the original owner optioned for a wood panel upgrade inside. Very snazzy :)
He has a sunroof and also an aftermarket Uhaul 2 inch hitch. No, I have never towed with him, he held my bike rack.
He has that heavy duty plastic cargo liner and custom Jetta rubber floor mats
He has an engine block heater, looks like he has something yellow hanging out of his front teeth all the time :) I love it and always plugged him in in the winter. He likes that.
He has his cool original stereo set up. If I'm not listening to NPR, I usually listen to my Creedence Clearwater revival Cassette tape :) Or my Depeche Mode tape
He also has blue tint on his windows. Well, some of them. The second owner (I am the 3rd) had 2 large dogs that scratched up the back seat windows so i had them scraped off. I had intended on going ahead and doing the front door windows and the cargo area windows and the back windshield also but he had his "problem" before I could get to it.
His problem: My daughter borrowed him. That was the problem. In an effort to not hit a guy who cut her off at a roundabout in the squishy Ravenna neighborhood, she popped over the sidewalk curb and blew the front passenger side tire. I came to the rescue and changed the tire. I replaced all of the locking bolts with regular bolts btw because the previous owner had lost the key thing. The original VW wheel is in the back spare area.
Now for the sad part. I took him to my trusty Vdub mechanic when I saw the ABS light on after this happened. He did a thorough inspection on Gil and I cried when he told me the news. He has several things that need to be fixed to make him good as new again. I cannot afford to do these things. I am not a mechanic either, so I couldn't even attempt it at a parts only cost. I am HOPING someone out there will see Gilbert's issues as an opportunity to fix him with no shop labor costs and give him the adventures he still has left in him.
Tie rod compromised. Told they have to be done as pair
Wheel not sound enough for new tire
ABS harness busted
Turbo blown
I can ask my mechanic for more comprehensive items if necessary. These were just the biggies he pointed out
Please, please if anyone is interested and lives in the Seattle area, I would be more than happy to show him to you. He sits, sad, in my garage because we used to do everything together. I will attempt to upload photos but I may not be any more successful than the other guy was :( Also, I'm sorry but the rack on top is actually not included, I forgot it was on when I took the pics.
****** Asking for 1500 because I think someone who is able can do the work without a shop and have a super fellow on their hands. Please, he isn't for parts ******
Thank you, Katie

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I’m sorry to hear of your daughters accident. You can probably find everything you need at the local junkyard to make you car as good as new for $200 or less. Tie rods can be done 1 at a time, junkyard or Craigslist tire/wheel, junkyard abs wire harness and even a steering knuckle if you need it.

I’m not sure how jumping a curb breaks a turbo, an oil pan yes, probably just knocked a vacuum hose, actuator wire or intercooler pipes loose, or broke the intercooler.

Good luck with your sale. I’d buy it if you lived somewhere near PA.

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Well I finally figured out how to create a site for the photos of Gil. Here is the link

https://gilbertforsale.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5

Thanks to SuperLuke for checking him out and also Tdijarhead for some advice. I agree, think there may be more to the story..but regardless, she feels bad enough. And yes, believe the mechanic mentioned broken intercooler..

Thanks all, Katie

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I just perused your pics, I’m wishing you lived in Washington DC instead of Washington state.

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Oh not me! That beltway traffic have experienced many times as my mom worked on Meade and I lived in Harrisburg. No thank ya ;) Though Seattle graces in the top 5 most traffic choked in the nation as well, I've got 2 sets of mountain ranges to look at while I crawl along haha

Glad you liked the look of him, I have always thought he one handsome fellow!

Thank you, Katie

Dan99TDI

TDI
ALH going in a 56 CJ5, B5.5 tdi wagon
Sending you a PM with my number, I would love to have the complete list from your mechanic.

04jettazoom

TDI
jetta
honestly that stuff is really easy to repair. This would be a great opportunity to learn to save your beloved car. The turbo is only difficult because of its location.

It just nuts and bolts.

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Oh man 04jettazoom, if only I could. There are many things I can do, this list is not one of them :( Hoping someone out there can, though

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Welp, here we are in the middle of physical distancing :( missing work and my friends....

Just putting out there that Gilbert is still here waiting for a new person to love him and care for him. Refer back to my original post in this thread to see how amazing he is. Also, please let me know if for some reason the link to his pictures does not work anymore.

Struts, intercooler, abs harness, turbo

Thanks and stay safe and healthy everyone!

maken03

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (sold)04 Jetta wagon
Wagon

Hey KT, my son may be in the market for a TDI. I’m in Arlington, so I may be able to look at it this weekend.
Thanks Mike

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Mike, I will definitely be around this weekend ;) hahaha Just let me know. Thank you, stay healthy! katie

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Oh that makes me so sad indeed to hear you say that!! He is literally chillin in my garage waiting for love and of course fixing....I would give anything to be able to do it myself

stay healthy out there!! Katie

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ohhh that you still lived in Harrisburg. Your car is the same color as my golf, 377k headed for 500k

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Poor guy, he is still here. That's a really long drive though :( I drove out from Illinois 10 years ago...

Stay healthy out there! :)

katie

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Tell you what I miss about PA....

Gettysburg! The Rose Garden at Hershey! (I still use their homemade non-toxic aphid spray formula) The Yellow Breeches! The Firehouse Restaurant on 2nd St!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tell you what I miss about PA....

Gettysburg! The Rose Garden at Hershey! (I still use their homemade non-toxic aphid spray formula) The Yellow Breeches! The Firehouse Restaurant on 2nd St!

We love the Gettysburg area. Been there several times over the years, always a delight.