Diesel Doctors Dyno Day - May 30th 9am - 2pm

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
CONFIRMED DATE Diesel Doctors Dyno Day - May 30th 9am - 2pm

DATE AND PRICE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED

Well I am firming up a date for this dyno day and it looks like the last saturday in May is when it'll all go down. There is still a few details left to work out so its not quite official yet but heres the lowdown of Who, What, Why, When and Where

Who: YOU!
What: Dyno Day
Why: Cause its fun and will give a nice baseline for where your cars at
When: Saturday May 30 2009 9am - 2pm
Where: Diesel Doctors

Basically its a 10 Car commitment Minimum for us to do this, why you ask? well simply because each car will roughly take about 30 minutes to complete. The owners are pretty easy going and usually like hosting these kinds of days so i'm sure they wont mind staying later to accomodate a few more cars.

The price for this has yet to be discussed but if our last conversation holds true, it will be $50 for 3 runs on the rollers. Amoungst other things yet to be ironed out, we may or may not get a BBQ Lunch (chances are good that we will) however, respirators and breathing aids will not be provided for in the likley event of intense smoke shows (Phat_dub i'm refering to you).

Things to note - they will not accept any responsibility for cars that are damaged due to the dyno run. You need to be aware that dyno'ing your car is INCREDIBLY hard on ure engine. If there is any doubt as to the health of your car, you probably shouldnt sign up.

All that aside, it should be a good day and go off without a hitch. So lets get a list started!
add your name to a timeslot - i'll take the last slot to give everyone a chance

9:00 - Marchmen
9:30 - TDIFred
10:00 - Kasper (EMT)
10:30 - Petea4
11:00 - REDNECKDZL
11:30 - Andy2
12:00 - Kasper (EMT)
12:30 - HobbyShop
1:00 - Ookpic
1:30 - Lanciaf1
2:00 -
----------------------------- after this point your on a waiting list
2:30 -
3:00 -
3:30 -
4:00 -
4:30 -
5:00 - OmegaRenegade

Last edited:

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I'm glad that you're giving the warning about how hard it is on the engine (first time I've ever heard a dyno day organizer mention this), and that you're scheduling it in half hour intervals. Dyno days where they schedule 15 minute intervals are unfortunately unrealistic. Things always come up, or cars need minor tweaking, before a dyno run! Wish I could be there. Good luck! :)

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Silver02TDI said:
I'm glad that you're giving the warning about how hard it is on the engine (first time I've ever heard a dyno day organizer mention this), and that you're scheduling it in half hour intervals. Dyno days where they schedule 15 minute intervals are unfortunately unrealistic. Things always come up, or cars need minor tweaking, before a dyno run! Wish I could be there. Good luck! :)
Theres always a risk to doing these things, and seeing as i'm taking responsibilty for organising it i want to make sure everyone understand that things could go wrong and they need to cover themselves should things go south.

the timeslot may be understated as it takes a little bit to get the car strapped down. Lowered cars also need to worry about scraping their valances when climbing up the roller.

ThaWeezord

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Canyon Red
Can they handle cars that are lowered... a lot. haha I can just barely fit my keyfob under my front bumper so will this be a huge issue for them?!?

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Put me down for 9am.

Will my car go faster with the boxes of parts that still have to go on the car, or do I actually have to install them?

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
put me down for 2 but I might bring 3 cars. Jetta wagon, hopefully I get the cabrio ready, and I would like to have 1 more, dont know which one yet.

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Kasper,how you planning to get 3 cars out there ? ;)

need a driver,let me know.

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Marchmen said:
Put me down for 9am.

Will my car go faster with the boxes of parts that still have to go on the car, or do I actually have to install them?
Just having cumulative parts is an automatic 5hp

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
put me down for 9:30..

saturday ..my only day off in a week...from now till june.

georgetown...that may be too far for me...LOL

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
Not far at all. I work in markham and it takes me 45 mins to get to Georgetown without traffic. I'll probably make an appearance. Not sure if I will be dynoing or not. My clutch has been slipping for a while now, and I would have to replace it with something beefier before going.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
LOL...maybe i'm just lazy lol...coming from a guy that is driving from markham to bowmanville right now...but i have to go..because I get paid to drive out there ;)

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
SilveR316 said:
Not far at all. I work in markham and it takes me 45 mins to get to Georgetown without traffic. I'll probably make an appearance. Not sure if I will be dynoing or not. My clutch has been slipping for a while now, and I would have to replace it with something beefier before going.
boulderdash - you can dyno with a slipping clutch, VwPodRacer did it last year and put down 197hp:D

in all honesty - dyno runs are 4th gear from 2000RPM. You'd be in prime clutch slip territory - prolly best to sit this one out

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
PHAT-DUB said:
LOL...maybe i'm just lazy lol...coming from a guy that is driving from markham to bowmanville right now...but i have to go..because I get paid to drive out there ;)
in that case - the TDIClub is going to stick you with a $50 cancelation fee should you back out of this event. Your acknowledgment of a timeslot is my written agreement :p

Your on the list!

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
OmegaRenegade said:
boulderdash - you can dyno with a slipping clutch, VwPodRacer did it last year and put down 197hp:D

in all honesty - dyno runs are 4th gear from 2000RPM. You'd be in prime clutch slip territory - prolly best to sit this one out
Yeah.... I slip in 3rd at 2000rpm if I really give it (don't even have to touch 4th lol)... :(

I'll show up though, Diesel Doctors is like 2 mins from my doorstep.

Last edited:

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
put me down for 11 am, i'll be there

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
Man.. i wanna get my car dyno'ed but, i dont know if my engine can handle all the stress right now. I might want to reinforce my turbo's pipes before heading to a dyno, and get a boost gauge too. i'm actually waiting for an iphone ODB sensor to show up so i can plug it into my car. But maybe i'll drop by just to check out the other cars being dyno'ed.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
daniel - the only mod you've done to your PD is the chip. Would be nice if you had that boost valve installed but it woulda been better to have that in before the tune.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
What I want to know is, why did Omega put himself at the end of the "Waiting List" section if he organized the event? :p

MrVermin

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Three Reasons -
1.) i've already dyno'd my car
2.) theres a problem with my bottom end whereby i think my piston rings are fried
and
3.) If you wanna see my car run - you all gotta stay till the end :D :p

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Hi guys, just wanted to get a feeling for what gears most people are running on dynos (stock manual 5spd)? I know Omega was saying 4th gear from 2000 rpm above.. is that the concessus? Do you guys run to rev limiter or cut the pull at around 4300 rpm?

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Put me down for 1pm if it isn't taken. I've got a bunch of new parts to install before then most importantly the clutch! Never been on a dyno before so am anxious and looking forward to it!

Last edited:

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
TDI'ed said:
Hi guys, just wanted to get a feeling for what gears most people are running on dynos (stock manual 5spd)? I know Omega was saying 4th gear from 2000 rpm above.. is that the concessus? Do you guys run to rev limiter or cut the pull at around 4300 rpm?
to get the best reading you need to be in a gear ratio where its close to 1:1 - in our case that means 4th gear.

you basically drive your car to 4400 rpm and stop, reason being you've already captured peak HP and TQ which seems to be what everyone is after.

cos

TDI
2004 Passat GLS TDI
I will show up too but my car is not ready for the Dyno. I will dyno it after I replace the Balance Shaft Module, glow plugs and Transmission fluid. And hopefully an RC chip. I just want to meet some Ontario owners since I live few minutes from DD.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I may have to bow out on this dyno day now...as i have been told my shift have change to mon-sat....with sundays off.

I'll let you know B.

but for now put me down as tenative :(