BHW no start

Dead Larry

TDI
05 passat
Hi All, So after finding my timing belt had a little slop, I changed it and the water pump. Borrowed the right tools to lock the crank and the cam.
Rolled it over and checked it. 5 times just to be sure. Fired it up and it ran great. Shut it off to reassemble the front end. Went to start it the next morning and it cranked but just will not start. tryed vagcom to check for codes and at first it said there were 2 codes but would not identify them.
Went back and checked codes again and it said no response from controller
or not communicating or not supported. Called Rosstech and the told me to charge the battery and unplug controlllors and reconnect them. Been there done that. Engine no start. Checked tank pump. Pumps lots of fuel. I am not getting fuel into the engine.
Just to make sure I didn't screw up I had the compression checked.
575 even across the board. The place where I had the compression checked had a Golf BEW and we hooked up the lap top to it and got the same response. We also hooked it up to a 2.0 liter gasser and found identified codes.
So, anyone know how to get the codes out of a PD?
And.......Why won't my engine start?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
No fuel

If you are not getting fuel to engine then check to see if filter is full of fuel. Maybe you have a blocked fuel filter?:confused:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Can you communicate with the engine controller? Does the MIL come on when you turn the key on (like normal)? Do you hear the lift pump run for its one-second or so priming period when you turn the key on?

Dead Larry

TDI
05 passat
So I changed the fuel filter. Check for power at the tank pump. Pump runs for 1 second and shuts off with key on. I ran the tank pump to check fuel volume. Good. The check engine light comes on with the key on and Vag-Com reads the ecu. But when I go to check for fault codes it says their there but does not tell me what they are. Same for the trans and air bags. I tested it on an 05 golf TDI, same thing no communication. It works on earlier cars. Version of VAG is 805. Could I have some how set off the immobilizer? I can here everything in the engine compartment buzzing and clicking when I turn the key on. Glow plugs are good. I gave it a quick squirt of carb spray in the intake and it farted.
Like I said before, After I replaced the timing belt it ran. Went to start it the next day and nothing. Cranks excelent but no fire. Why does VAG not
read fault codes?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Try reading the fault codes via the Generic OBD-II interface in VCDS.

What cable are you using?

Do a full automatic scan and post the complete results.

Dead Larry

TDI
05 passat
The first time I went into the generic fualt code reader it stated there were
too many communication errers to continue.

The second time I tried to read read the fault codes through the generic OBD-II port (HEX-CAN) 4 codes came up. Glow plugs 1-4. Most likely due to checking compression.

READINESS- Number of codes 4 - Glow Plugs all 4
MIL status- MIL light off (MIL light is on)
Missfire monitering - Failed or incomplete
Fuel system - Failed or incomplete (maybe when I cranked the engine over
with the plug off the tank pump?)
Comprehensive componants - Failed or incomplete
O2 sensor monitering - Failed or incomplete
O2 sensor monitering - Failed or incomplete
EGR monitering - Failed or incomplete

Went to Auto scan mode
Adresses 1-2-3-8 and 15.
0!- glow plugs 1-4
02 - 03 - 08 no codes
15- Air bag code 00532 supply voltage B+
07-10 signal too low intermittant.

I reset the fault codes and cranked the engine over and ran the auto scan
and there were no codes except for the air bag 00532

And that's were I'm at.
So why do the guys at rosstech say it works through the select menue?
Or is it the car? or maybe I should ask them after I figure this out.
Or maybe after I figure this out I won't have to ask them.

bentwrench

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
I would recomend doing acapacitor discharge for at least 15 minutes by connecting the positive and negative terminals together without the battery in the circuit of course this will help erase stubborn codes/faults stored that may be preventing proper data transfer inside the ecu.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
VagCom

Just a shot in dark but try uninstal version 805 and install an earlier version of VagCom.

russbritt

TDI
1998 beetle, 2015 Passat SEL
Sounds like antistudder valve is hung, mine had the same symtems. try to start but would not. Very simple fix, reach back and unstick it..... then your car will start

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
russbritt said:
Sounds like antistudder valve is hung, mine had the same symtems. try to start but would not. Very simple fix, reach back and unstick it..... then your car will start
Not the same on the PD engine, but good thought.