NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Harv you pick the date, meet you at Dulles Airport! :D
Ya know, I would be dead serious to actually do this if we could get at least 1000 or so club members to organize and then show up at their headquarters demanding answers.

As a matter of fact, I think Fred, the administrator Brian, and the mods here should think seriously about such a movement. Something of this sort would really rock their world and there would be some big time media coverage of such as well.

I say enough with this head in the sand complacency BS and let's do the right thing. I don't think such a movement could be successful without a true and heartfelt sanctioning and organizing by the administrators. I promise to all that I would assist in any way possible even if it meant the administrator personally contacting VOA asking for a meeting with top officials as a courtesy gesture or warning before the actual "Occupy VOA" takes place. Of course, the participants to this initial meeting should be voted on here by the members of this venue. What do you think? Later!

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Even on a small scale might get some action.

ie: a group of TDI owners set up shop in front of a dealer with signs on their cars. (whatever you want them to read regarding the HPFP).

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
Google translator sucks, really twists some of the meanings of several phrases. This one in particular
Wir können einen Rückruf zum jetzigen Zeitpunkt ausschließen, weil kein konstruktionsbedingter Mangel vorliegt", sagte Peter Thul, Leiter der VW-Produktkommunikation, in Wolfsburg.
It states in english

At this time we have ruled out a Recall, because we have found no defect with the construction or material(of the pump) said Peter Thul, head of VW's product communications, in Wolfsburg

Interesting how the translator totally missed that important point.

One other point the Title of this article says in BoLD

""NO RECALL""

Vw investigates diesel motors in USA

In the USA Vw diesel motors are being investigated by NHTSA, in total around 100,000 vehicles were checked in relation to a problem with the HPFP States NHTSA.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
"konstruktionsbedingter Mangel" means design-related defect. Nothing to do with literal construction or material.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
Google translator sucks, really twists some of the meanings of several phrases. This one in particular
Wir können einen Rückruf zum jetzigen Zeitpunkt ausschließen, weil kein konstruktionsbedingter Mangel vorliegt", sagte Peter Thul, Leiter der VW-Produktkommunikation, in Wolfsburg.
It states in english

At this time we have ruled out a Recall, because we have found no defect with the construction or material(of the pump) said Peter Thul, head of VW's product communications, in Wolfsburg

Interesting how the translator totally missed that important point.

One other point the Title of this article says in BoLD

""NO RECALL""

Vw investigates diesel motors in USA

In the USA Vw diesel motors are being investigated by NHTSA, in total around 100,000 vehicles were checked in relation to a problem with the HPFP States NHTSA.
"konstruktionsbedingter Mangel" means design-related defect. Nothing to do with literal construction or material.
When we get to the issue of translation, I wonder if this is what needs to be done.

We need to post some of our findings in other languages (French, German, etc.. If we have those that can do excellent translations, then we need some of the better posts translated into other languages. I have found at least one TDI PD post of mine sitting untranslated in another language speaking country (thank goodness it was a post that made sense LOL). The impact might be much better if we make the effort in translation. VW would not go to the trouble, we need to put forth the effort.

Picket signs / posts need to to be in every major world language. One select subject title might address the need for: "Robust VW TDI HPFP Needed In USA"

Mississippi nobody that does not even speak good English. LOL

eddif

tico27464

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (DSG)
Ya know, I would be dead serious to actually do this if we could get at least 1000 or so club members to organize and then show up at their headquarters demanding answers.

As a matter of fact, I think Fred, the administrator Brian, and the mods here should think seriously about such a movement. Something of this sort would really rock their world and there would be some big time media coverage of such as well.

I say enough with this head in the sand complacency BS and let's do the right thing. I don't think such a movement could be successful without a true and heartfelt sanctioning and organizing by the administrators. I promise to all that I would assist in any way possible even if it meant the administrator personally contacting VOA asking for a meeting with top officials as a courtesy gesture or warning before the actual "Occupy VOA" takes place. Of course, the participants to this initial meeting should be voted on here by the members of this venue. What do you think? Later!
Aren't their HQ in Fairfax VA now? Close enough for me--I'd be in.
~T

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks for the correction, my German isn't perfect anymore, i guess my main point was that the translator insinuated that there may be a recall at a separate time when in fact it more or less stated there will be no recall.

Last edited:

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
OCCUPY VoA ! (OVoA) [Pronounced OVA] :rolleyes:

Volkswagen Group Of America, Inc,
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive
Herndon, VA 20171-5884

Be There, Or Be Square! :eek:

PLACE http://tinyurl.com/3otwpbr

WHEN: December 11th (?). Coincides with Ferdinand Alexander Porsche birthdate. He was born 11 December 1935

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
quite honestly, I'd love to see some diesel lubricity testing done on the different fuel suppliers. Is there any place that does this? Sort of like a used oil analysis. If VW is right and it really is poor quality fuel destroying the (poorly designed) pumps it would really answer alot of questions.

Interestingly if you look at the HPFP failure thread there is only one who admited to using additives, and he didn't have a complete system failure. This definitely is telling us somthing.

Remember bosch told us this..

If you look at this chart, it seems with really poor lubricity you can have severe fuel pump damage in less than 75 hours of use. At that point the cycle just snowballs.

Last edited:

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
If the fuel in the US is not suitable then VOA and Bosch should have A) built the system to live with it, or B) not sold their product here.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
It is very possible that the fuel suppliers simply are not meeting the lubricity standards they are required to meet in order to save a few dollars and line their pockets. I can only imagine how much additives would cost per gas station or supplier. If it's being done like that then there is no way for VOA or Bosch to know that the fuel wear scar requirements are not being met.

We all know how trustworthy and honorable our oil companies are, right?? ;-)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
A quick google search came up with several labs in the states that can do the HFRR test. There was no mention found on pricing. Might be interesting to ask one of these labs on monday what their pricing would be for a run of maybe 50 samples. They may be able to make a good discount for a quantity run. TDI'ers from around NA could send in a sample and a contribution toward the lab fee. Those data could be eye-opening and possibly game-changing.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
One has to wonder why VW continues to advise in their Owner's Manual that they don't recommend additives.

If one takes their reason of fuel contamination (a few milliliters of fuel can contaminate the fuel supply), then two milliliters of gasoline in a tankful of diesel of 50 liters is about 2/(50*1000) * 100 = .004'% or 1 part in 25,000 or 40 mg/l or 40 ppm.:eek:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Member Bob_Fout recently sent some fuel to a lab for testing and posted the results, IIRC it was ~$300 per test and the lab specified some disclosure limitations.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
If we get mass tests done perhaps they can get us a better deal, I'd be willing to pay for a few ontario samples. I think we could probably get some members to help chip in.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
OCCUPY VoA ! (OVoA) [Pronounced OVA] :rolleyes:

Volkswagen Group Of America, Inc,
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive
Herndon, VA 20171-5884

Be There, Or Be Square! :eek:

PLACE http://tinyurl.com/3otwpbr

WHEN: December 11th (?). Coincides with Ferdinand Alexander Porsche birthdate. He was born 11 December 1935
The only problem with that date that it's on a Sunday:eek:

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
Member Bob_Fout recently sent some fuel to a lab for testing and posted the results, IIRC it was ~$300 per test and the lab specified some disclosure limitations.
I remember the disclosure comment and thought it to be quite odd.

Any lab worth their reputation would allow full disclosure if their client allows.
Even if the lab results bring heat or debate, disclosure of the testing lab should not be an issue to the lab what so ever.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Torches and pitch forks, baby... YEAH!
I'm there!
I remember the disclosure comment and thought it to be quite odd.

Any lab worth their reputation would allow full disclosure if their client allows.
Even if the lab results bring heat or debate, disclosure of the testing lab should not be an issue to the lab what so ever.
It is what it is. I can think of reasons why the lab would not want to be named...

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
There's a new document out on the NHTSA site that has the VW Engineering Analysis (EA11003)

This document requests information on HPFP failures from Mercedes Benz.
//http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/2011/EA/INPR-EA11003-48540.pdf

Not sure why NHTSA is expanding their analysis to include other manufacturers. My guess is that they want to determine if Mercedes Benz is having similar issues with HPFP failures, in order to narrow down the cause of the VW issue.