Suspicious suspension

grmaster1

TDI
2015 VW GSW
I have noticed that since I got this car, not that long ago, the suspension kind of floats when it's parked or stopped.

I can push the body of the car, and it will move back and forth more than "seems right." Same when I let go off the brake right after getting into park–it recoils.

Any thoughts? Is it normal operation, anything I need to check, something to address (where/how)?

Thanks in advance!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Oh, Jaysus. Drive more, worry less... And use your parking brake.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
does it still move around if you use the parking brake before you release the foot brake when parked?

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
If your wife is asking, just get it your suspension checked at a mechanic. It is probably worn out and needs to be replaced. Many drive cars without a fresh suspension, not overly dangerous unless you get into an emergency situation...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sounds like you're experiencing DSG park pawls, they are rather sloppy loose, 3-4" of roll at max. I recommend using the parking brake if you're parking on any sort of incline

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
If your wife is asking, just get it your suspension checked at a mechanic. It is probably worn out and needs to be replaced. Many drive cars without a fresh suspension, not overly dangerous unless you get into an emergency situation...
It's a 2015 GSW. I highly doubt the suspension is "worn out".

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
My 2015 GSW has none of those symptoms. Have you checked the records fo the car? Salvage title? Any accidents that may have altered the ride?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
As some have suggested above, probably not using the parking brake...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Okay, so I did a little experiment this morning. With the wagon on a level surface, the DSG in Park, and the parking brake released, I could push the car back and forth a couple of inches. With the parking brake applied, it wouldn't roll a bit. Q.E.D.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Okay, so I did a little experiment this morning. With the wagon on a level surface, the DSG in Park, and the parking brake released, I could push the car back and forth a couple of inches. With the parking brake applied, it wouldn't roll a bit. Q.E.D.
If a husband gives that explanation, is he still wrong?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If a husband gives that explanation, is he still wrong?
Yes. I just went through this with my wife. She heard a noise I couldn't hear and neither could the dealer tech or the local garage tech. After putting in new axles, brakes and full suspension and shocks and new tires with an alignment and balance. She could still hear something. Fortunately for her the AC quit and she bought her a new car. Now she hears a new noise, the payment sucking out of her wallet. She went without a car payment for 5 years. Fortunately for me we don't co-mingle our finances, so I don't hear it myself!