injector upgrade

jctdi00

TDI
03 Jetta TDI GLS
I finally gave kerma tdi a call and had them set me up with some injectors to replace my stock ones. My car has 126K miles and is a manual. I wanted to do ones for a completely stock car as i may or may not upgrade anything else later down the line. Power and mileage, but more so mileage is my goal. I am getting the injector service with them as well. I went with the dlc 764 injectors. I am going to check/set the IQ and timing after install. I heard lots of good things about the dlc 520 and 1019 injectors as well but is anyone running the 764s on a stock tdi and how do you like them? I will post results later

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I did for ages and loved them, very nice power upgrade for an otherwise stock lump imo. The extra torque is what tickled me most lol

My IQ was around 4 and I stuck the pump timing up around the top line

jctdi00

TDI
03 Jetta TDI GLS
how is the smoke with the stock tune and without using the extra power did you notice any mileage increase?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't really have a smoke issue myself, mileage was about the same but with more power.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Aren't the DLC1019s and the 764s the same size?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Aren't the DLC1019s and the 764s the same size?

Could be but there's other factors I think hence the different names, maybe spray pattern or something.

I remember the PP764's give around 50ft/lbs and 25hp or so, certainly feels like it.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
DLC764 is just very slightly bigger than DLC1019. The PP764s were the larger ones.

Sttb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat tdi, 2001 jetta tdi, 2002 golf tdi auto:(
I also had the dlc764 set up by kerma on a stock car. Set you iq around 5.5 or higher and timing at the green line. I only had smoke issues when iq was set below 5.5 as the lower the number the more fuel you get. Other than that the injectors are awesome. Way better than the sprint 520's I had before that.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stick in a 3bar map sensor then you can set the IQ a bit lower without smoke, think it adds 2psi or so to the boost.Certainly runs sweet anyway.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Sticking in a 3 bar MAP sensor without having a re-rune can be be a bad idea; if you have a vnt-15 already tuned to say 18 PSI and put a 3 bar MAP sensor without changing anything else and you are asking to play turbo roulette.With 18 PSI being the safe maximum and adding 20 % more boost (3.6 PSI) is just asking for trouble.
But for the OP's current situation he probably could get away with adding a 3 bar MAP sensor and adding more air would certainly help to burn the additional fuel he now has.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Then change barometric pressure (climb a mountain or something) for a bit and watch your turbo blow up.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sticking in a 3 bar MAP sensor without having a re-rune can be be a bad idea; if you have a vnt-15 already tuned to say 18 PSI and put a 3 bar MAP sensor without changing anything else and you are asking to play turbo roulette.With 18 PSI being the safe maximum and adding 20 % more boost (3.6 PSI) is just asking for trouble.
But for the OP's current situation he probably could get away with adding a 3 bar MAP sensor and adding more air would certainly help to burn the additional fuel he now has.
Then change barometric pressure (climb a mountain or something) for a bit and watch your turbo blow up.

On a stock car, nobody mentioned tuning lol. If you're getting tuning then yes, you need to inform your tuner but on a stock car it's a way to gain an extra couple of psi so you can run a bit more fuel.

The OP did say he may not upgrade anything else

Mind you I did run my vnt15 about 20 psi all day long for a good while, still in good condition, I keep it as a spare.

jctdi00

TDI
03 Jetta TDI GLS
Im sending in the injectors in the next few days when i get the chance. To clear any confusion i am only doing the injectors for the time being and am going to install a boost and egt gauge. Later down the line i might upgrade and if i were to i would do vnt-17 or bigger, tune and Southbend clutch at the same time or something along those lines. After having tuned up my cummins, i dont really use the extra power enough to where it should have been a priority. I dont regret it though. I feel like its easy to go all out on upgrades and best to either spare no expenses and set records if funds provide or just do what you could use.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I will adjust what I said earlier... due to the fact you do not have a tune and just did injectors--a 3 bar MAP sensor would probably be safe and only a $40.00 or so investment likely adding an additional 20 or so horsepower.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
On a stock car, nobody mentioned tuning lol. If you're getting tuning then yes, you need to inform your tuner but on a stock car it's a way to gain an extra couple of psi so you can run a bit more fuel.

The OP did say he may not upgrade anything else

Mind you I did run my vnt15 about 20 psi all day long for a good while, still in good condition, I keep it as a spare.

So would going up mountains overboost the turbo as the previous poster mentioned? Wouldn't mind playing with that, :D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So would going up mountains overboost the turbo as the previous poster mentioned? Wouldn't mind playing with that, :D

I don't see why, stock boost is around 14-15psi, 3 bar adds a couple but that still leaves a couple for a safety margin.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I don't see why, stock boost is around 14-15psi, 3 bar adds a couple but that still leaves a couple for a safety margin.
Nevermind, lol, getting a stage 1 tune as we speak. :D

jctdi00

TDI
03 Jetta TDI GLS
I just put the injectors in today. Its runs great. It has a little bit more diesel knock and noise but runs smoother. The power definitely feels like the 25hp and 50tq advertised especially from around 2k rpms up and climbs to redline way easier. I have a vcds on the way so I'm not sure where it's set. I had barely a haze at WOT . About the same as stock. It was a great upgrade

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I was talking to you... ^^^
My wife's ALH got nozzles and a stage 2 last year, not happy with it so trying another tuner. My new 04 PD wagon didn't get nozzles because I don't have $1000 US kicking around so the stage 1 will do for now. ;)

bxr.garage

TDI
1.9 tdi gtb1756vk 235bhp
hello,
since i don't want firad nozzles,only big solution are v10 nozzles.Anyone put these see how far they go...my tuner got 260 from ARL nozzles,i wonder if i can go higher with those.