www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old November 10th, 2019, 16:16   #1
aditud
Veteran Member

Default Increased fuel and AdBlue consumption

I picked up a "new" GSW SE 6MT right after the stop sale ban was lifted in the Spring of 2017. Naturally, it had the Phase 1 completed. I sensed no real change in terms of fuel economy from the GSW SE DSG I sold back to VW that same Spring.

Now, fast forward to December 2018 when I had Phase 2 done. Once again, I didn't really notice anything changed. It appears they didn't fill the AdBlue tank while doing Phase 2, nor did they do it when I had the car in for the 30K maintenance service. I had filled it when the car had about 28k miles on it (between Phase 2 and the 30K service), or something like that.

The AdBlue light came on at about 35k, definitely at less than 7k after I had filled it all to the brim myself. Also, starting sometime in August I began noticing increased fuel consumption, achieving around 3mpg less than I used to (I had the car sit for about a month in July while I was on a trip to Europe). On my commute I would routinely achieve 50mpg on my way back driving around 73mph on mostly highway. After August, 48mpg was a rather rare achievement. During October it got worse, maybe 45-46mpg, even though the weather was still fair and warm. This past week we had a couple of mornings slightly below freezing and was barely able to get 44mpg, and this past Friday (when it stayed at around 32-34F throughout the day) I didn't even get the advertised 43mpg.

Anyway, I can't help but wonder whether there's something going on. I certainly didn't expect to have to refill the AdBlue tank after 7k, and I can't really explain this dip in fuel economy, as my driving habits haven't changed.
aditud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 16:18   #2
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig

I have a buddy who quite literally over a camp fire was talking to me about the same issue on his 15 Jetta TDI 6mt. Subbed to see what people say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 19:43   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

More than likely winter treated fuel. See if it goes back up in the spring. Even though the temps may be warm they are still treating the fuel getting ready for the cold.
Old November 11th, 2019, 10:11   #4
Nutty 5.0
Veteran Member

I'll chime in for the fuel usage and agree it is likely the winter blends. Mine dropped off in the past few weeks. I'm on the other side of Pa.

Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 11:21   #5
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0 View Post
I'll chime in for the fuel usage and agree it is likely the winter blends. Mine dropped off in the past few weeks. I'm on the other side of Pa.

For reference the buddy of mine was having his drop drastically in Ventura, California. So yes we get a winter blend but I am also on So Cal, and I have not noticed this mileage drop or increased def usage.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 11th, 2019, 11:38   #6
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I have read here that a full dpf can also cause this to happen. A monitoring app like VagDPF would show the soot and ash load.
Old November 13th, 2019, 10:02   #7
sloinker
Veteran Member

Winter fuel and cold temperatures kill fuel mileage in these TDI's. I easily get above 45 MPG in the summer commute. That MPG struggles to get to 40 in the winter.
Old November 13th, 2019, 15:55   #8
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Increased AdBlue usage is to be expected with the emissions fix. I too just went through 2.5gal in ~6000 miles.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 16:01   #9
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
Increased AdBlue usage is to be expected with the emissions fix. I too just went through 2.5gal in ~6000 miles.

I have only ever owned my car with phase 2 done and I do about 7500-10k on 2.5 gallons of def. US gallons that is.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 14th, 2019, 09:22   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

the tank is bigger than 2.5 gallons thou?

My question is is the commute the same? are you driving 20 miles plus per drive?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 09:33   #11
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
the tank is bigger than 2.5 gallons thou?

My question is is the commute the same? are you driving 20 miles plus per drive?

Yes I do commute more than 20 mile drives. Minimum drive from my house to town is 25 miles. To school itís 60. Shy of in town driving to get lunch from work or gym of course. Both those numbers are 1 way off course. And yes the tank is larger than 2.5 gallons, about 5 gallons I hear, but the cans I buy at Walmart are 2.5 gallons and those seem to get me almost get me through if not a tad over the 10k oil change interval.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 15th, 2019, 07:00   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

7-10K on 2.5gal of def is in line with what you should expect. if you were draining 5 gal or a tank in the same distance i'd be worried.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote