B5 Passat Turbo problem

marcusfordus

1998 110 TDI, went in for it's main dealer service on the 31st August, no problems found, not used car until today, no pulling power at all on the day I was going away on holiday. No Turbo whistle at all. Has it broke or is something else at fault ? Car now does max. 20mph up hills

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Hi Marcus.

Any smoke out the back? Check turbo & intercooler pipes.
Nobody's put petrol in it, have they?
Any idiot lights on the dash?

Does it sound like there's any different noise from the engine?

marcusfordus

No smoke at all, the car did have a rattle coming from the front end of the exhaust system when revved. Sort of sounded like a loose clamp. Been under the car and nothing was loose but the noise was coming from the front of the car.
Now have no rattle but no turbo working either. Could the internals have destroyed themselves without the tell tale sign of loads of smoke ?

marcusfordus

Everyone I have spoke to says it is electronic, and the car is in safe mode to get me home. Does it need the diagnostics plugging in to find out what is wrong with it then, or is there a tell tale sign as to what it is ?

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
The dealers computer system or someone with a Vag-com will be able to tell you what fault codes are being shown. This will help diagnose the problem. I've just had a look on the Vag com list here and there's a member called "geediesel" who seems to be in Nottingham (although he's listed under Avon.). Maybe he can scan it for you.

Limp mode as it's sometimes called should reset when you turn off the ignition.