www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old August 4th, 2019, 12:42   #1
ScottSwee

Default HPFP bypass kit

Does anyone make anything similar to this? Seems like there should be one out somewhere

https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-7l-...ntion-kit.html
ScottSwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 15:34   #2
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

Interesting concept, wonder if it really works. Only then would I say for certain not needed.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 16:44   #3
ewdysar

While HPFP failures are not particularly common in our cars, if a failure occurs, it is typically a $8k -10k repair. Obviously, the Ford Powerstrokes have a similar failure mode, which might be more common. But since not all HPFPs are the same design, while the CP4 has a “bolt-on” solution to isolate the pump crankcase flow from the engine fuel supply circuit, doing the same to our VW HPFPs may not be as easy, or even possible.

As an aside, the DS4 pump in my GM 6.5 TD does not fail this way, the IP fails and is a costly replacement, but the rest of the fuel system does not get contaminated. It all depends on the design.

ewdysar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 17:02   #4
ewdysar

And I can understand why someone new here would be concerned about HPFP failure, just look at the “sticky” HPFP failure FAQ thread. When I first got here, I was worried about the long term reliability of my car because of various threads here, but the FAQ thread is old, and the problem seemed more prevalent with the early CR engines. As most of us here know now, the later CR engines like mine do not appear to have this problem.

Old August 4th, 2019, 18:15   #5
ScottSwee

Unless I’m completely missing something this does not seem like it is fully resolved. Even according to the HPFP thread

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...299854&page=85
ScottSwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 00:30   #6
ewdysar

I’m not saying that it can’t happen, just that every VAG CR TDi owner shouldn’t expect that it is inevitable that this will happen to them. But more to your original post, just because the Ford CP4 HPFP has a similar failure mode and a “bolt-on” fix doesn’t mean that a similar fix is even possible for the VAG CR HPFP. I, for one, have never seen one mentioned here or elsewhere.

One thing that you can do right now is use a quality diesel lubricant additive. There are many different brands available, I use OptiLube, either the Summer + or the XPD formula. I get mine online.

Old August 5th, 2019, 07:52   #7
calimustang
Veteran Member

If you worry, go CP3 and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Mustang GT and 89 Ocala FL SSP coupe 5.0 5MT
calimustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 16:37   #8
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

I'm not new here and it is something in the back of my mind. Not that it will happen, but could. I'm more confident I'll have another heater core failure.
And for the record, the HPFP in 2009-2015 VW 2.0L TDI CR engines is a CP4, as in some Duramax and Powerstroke engines.
A simple bypass like this, if it really works, would be cheap insurance, once I'm out the warranty period. After that, if it failed, and if the kits are still readily available, I'd switch to a CP3.

I found this, it is something that has been looked at before.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=18
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k

Last edited by goodmonkey; August 5th, 2019 at 16:44.
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 06:40   #9
crashtested
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdysar View Post
While HPFP failures are not particularly common in our cars...

You haven't been around very long. Do some searching back 8-9yrs ago it was rampant.

CP3 Pump Install Experiments.**Big Picts**

2microntech - Helping to Keep Your Common Rail VW Alive!!

Last edited by crashtested; August 6th, 2019 at 06:45.
crashtested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 13:10   #10
ewdysar

yep, i’ve seen the posts from the early CR HPFP problems, and acknowledge that the 2009-2010 pumps had a notable failure rate. But what I’m not seeing is reports of rampant failures in later cars, like my 2014 JSW. Has the failure rate dropped, or are are most of the people with failures just not talking about it?

Does it make sense to replace the HPFP regularly, before any sign of failure, like a timing belt? Are the failures usually in engines with over 100k miles, or is it more random, i.e. unpredictable?

I’m not questioning the collective wisdom here, just looking for objective input.

Old August 6th, 2019, 14:37   #11
calimustang
Veteran Member

It can happen randomly at any mileage, can be caused by poor fuel quality due to low traffic station. I had 5 HPFP failures and on the 5th time mechanic was like why not check the fuel tank as he noticed the fuel filter was caked in black stuff in 5k miles since fuel filter replacement along the 4th HPFP. Ao he opened the fuel tank and BEHOLD! It was covered in mold! It was from sitting 2 years during buyback program before finally sold to me.

Ever since, she ran flawlessly since 35k miles as I bought her on Sept 2018 with 27k miles. Now 51k miles and CP3 has been installed last Friday and she runs beautiful.

Old August 6th, 2019, 14:41   #12
calimustang
Veteran Member

Default HPFP bypass kit

As for my old 2011 JSW, she ran flawlessly on all original everything to 180k miles, I decided to go deleted DPF exhaust and kept original turbo, CP4. Until 235k miles, went for CP3. Made me wish I did that a long time ago. Now I am not repeating the mistake and do it early on this 2014. I let the 2011 go due to DSG ecu was failing shortly at almost 300k miles after getting rear ended so I decided its her time to go and processed the buyback and she is sorely missed.

Old August 6th, 2019, 16:31   #13
ewdysar

ok. After reading another couple of hundred posts on the topic, it seems that 2micron/andrew was making and selling a bypass and filter kit that would protect the rest of the fuel system from contamination when the CP4 pump failed. Unfortunately, this solution appears to be NLA.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...375803&page=56

on 1/08/2019, Kriesel posted that he had a pump failure and the installed 2micron system worked as intended. too bad they’re gone.

So now, the long term solution appears to be to swap in a CP3 pump. Is there a source for a one-stop CP4 to CP3 conversion? Some previous contributors have said that the CP3 swap requires an updated tune to work correctly, is that correct?

In any case, I believe that the general consensus is to stick with the stock system as long as the original or the “fix” warranty covers the fuel system and to hope that the dealer doesn’t try to weasel out of a the major repair in the case of a HPFP failure.

Old August 6th, 2019, 17:13   #14
calimustang
Veteran Member

No, no tune are needed for CP3. It only brings smoother acceleration and quicker starting and makes its own beautiful sounds.

My set up is direct from original fuel filter to the CP3 pump.. I am gambling on it.

CP3 pretty much are bulletproof to anything you throw at it.

Andrew aka 2micron still have few MK6 kits and MK7. You can contact him on his screen name. I just sent him the link of this thread.

Old August 8th, 2019, 02:40   #15
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

Ive had the 2 micron (think he called it the pure flow or fuel) kit on my car since 2012, no issues, no failures, pretty easy install. I think the buyback / extended warranty really knocked the bottom out of the market on a lot of these engineering fixes.
Andrew's 3rd generation (2Micron.com) return fuel filter, and Pure Flow HPFP modification, timing belt guard and the full Malone flashzilla / Buzzken stage2.0 eco treatment (bosal hitch and heavy springs for towing)
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote