Upgraded injectors .216 without map causing overboost issue.

Bigleondriver

TDI
1.9 non pd MK1 leon mapped and .216 injectors
I have a 110 non pd 05 mk1 leon.
the car has the following done to it.: straight pipe exhaust, pancake pipe, .216 injector nozzles.
I was also told by the previous owner that the car had been remapped prior to any of the mods which I have since preformed.
The car was fine until I installed the .216 injector nozzles, since these where put into the car I have been getting an engine light, when I checked what it was on OBD scanner it shows p0324 (turbo over boost). This will only come on in 5th when I go over 100 mph. I have tried unplugging the air flow sensor, which had been advised on another thread, this had little to no effect on the way the car run, and still threw the engine code. Another issue which I believe may be linked to this came about, I started my car and went to drive off, I got about 10 metres, and the car cut out, when I tried to start the car, it struggled to start, and there was a whirring sound, like a motor, but the engine didn't turn over, I left it for about 2 mins, and tried to start it up again, after a while the car started up, and there was a lot of white smoke and a rough idle, I left the car running for a while and this seemed to clear up, there was still a bit of white smoke, but hard to till with all the black smoke, I drove the car home and noticed no difference in power, it has been two days since this happened, and the car seems to start and drive fine, although I haven't tried going passed 100mph. I was wandering could anyone tell me what was wrong with my car, and would another remap solve, or help this.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well have you tried not driving your car so fast? ;)

What size turbo do you have? Have you checked the turbo actuator to make sure it's running its full sweep freely?

Bigleondriver

TDI
Well have you tried not driving your car so fast? ;)

What size turbo do you have? Have you checked the turbo actuator to make sure it's running its full sweep freely?
I am unsure what size of turbo it has, but I believe it has the standard 110 turbo, from what I can see its a garret , if that's anything to you, also what is the best way of testing it, since of where the turbo is located. Yes its fine not driving fast, but I'm worried it is doing more damage, this never happened until the nozzles where installed, plus in moments when speed is key its not good enough.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's a vacuum line going to the turbo from the N75 valve. Get a vacuum pump, disconnect it at the N75, and apply vacuum to the line. You should be able to see the actuator move from the top end. I don't know if the vac specs are the same between the 110hp and the 90hp we have. If they are, actuator should start to move 3-5inhg, and full stop 17-19inhg, moving freely the whole way. Also, check to see if your vacuum pump is working correctly. Should be able to build 22inhg of vacuum quickly.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Most likely the larger nozzles throw timing out of the window which the QA can manage to pull it back- you should have serious smoke behind you ! Alternately the nozzles you've installed might not be set properly thus over fueling which also could do a ton of black, thick smoke behind you... You will need a different turbo to stop boost creep- thats why you get the overboost problem and probably a new tune with raised diagnostic limits, larger capacity MAP sensor and raised boost control ! After that watch your clutch slip...

Bigleondriver

TDI
Most likely the larger nozzles throw timing out of the window which the QA can manage to pull it back- you should have serious smoke behind you ! Alternately the nozzles you've installed might not be set properly thus over fueling which also could do a ton of black, thick smoke behind you... You will need a different turbo to stop boost creep- thats why you get the overboost problem and probably a new tune with raised diagnostic limits, larger capacity MAP sensor and raised boost control ! After that watch your clutch slip...
Yeah there is alot of black smoke, really thick. I also put the nozzles in myself and didn't balance them or anything yet, was hoping to get that done at a later stage. I was told by the people tuning the car that it should handle this without a turbo.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, what is your IQ set at? Big nozzles like that, I'd imagine it should be set close to 5 to start and adjust from there. If it's closer to 1 it could be chugging from over fuel.

Bigleondriver

TDI
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, what is your IQ set at? Big nozzles like that, I'd imagine it should be set close to 5 to start and adjust from there. If it's closer to 1 it could be chugging from over fuel.
The engine seems to idle and mostly run fine, it's only when, I go over 100 that anything happens, or the one occasion that I mentioned, ever since this the car is running fine, although haven't pushed it over 100 since to see if it goes into limp mode.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can a little bit, but doing the hammer mod is a more effective way to change it a lot, then use VCDS to fine tune it. What is your IQ currently?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you change injectors, it changes your IQ. You'll need to get VCDS or find someone who has it, and check it. Adjust as necessary. Until then you're a little stuck.

Bigleondriver

TDI
When you change injectors, it changes your IQ. You'll need to get VCDS or find someone who has it, and check it. Adjust as necessary. Until then you're a little stuck.
Do you reckon I should be driving the car untill then. I have it booked in, but unfortunately couldn't get it any sooner than The 30th, but will need the car untill then, as of now the car functions absolutely fine to get me to and from work, but mabey I shouldn't be driving it?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're smoking a lot, you could potentially overheat your turbo or pistons, causing things to melt. If you absolutely had to drive it, I'd be very very light with the go pedal.

Bigleondriver

TDI
If you're smoking a lot, you could potentially overheat your turbo or pistons, causing things to melt. If you absolutely had to drive it, I'd be very very light with the go pedal.
There is a good bit of black smoke, 5mins of driving and the rear of the car is just black, if it really is going to do alot of harm, mabey I should just put the old nozzles in untill then as they work perfectly fine. My main fear is that thing which I mentioned before, where the car wouldn't start, a friend believes that it either ran away due to over fueling, but if it had runaway should it have stalled like it did, I thought a runaway was where it keeps going and can't be stopped. He also mentioned that it may have been starved of oil because of the turbo, but I don't know if there is any logic behind this.
Sorry for keeping to bother you just want to be sure that by the end of the week my car still has an intact engine.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
smoking ALOT actually lowers egts, egts being hottest at around stoichiometric ratio, or a tad richer from that. thats the point where guys get the "slight haze".
i found it funny when flooring without boost, and without smoke limiters egt gauge would drop down, because excess fuel would just cool everything down
its not the excess fuel always, its 99% of the time the excess injection duration, or late EOI.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, learn something every day. You will see other issues but that's after prolonged use, like sticking vanes, washed liners, decreased fuel econ, very dirty bumper, ect.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
OP, if yours is .216 chinese ones, they are propably drilled out to something. They can literally be .320's, or something between. OEM .216 nozzles can be found from 2.5l tdis like volvo/transporter, and putting them in 1.9tdi doesnt gain much of a noticeable difference in smoke output. Theres something going on with your system rn.

Bigleondriver

TDI
OP, if yours is .216 chinese ones, they are propably drilled out to something. They can literally be .320's, or something between. OEM .216 nozzles can be found from 2.5l tdis like volvo/transporter, and putting them in 1.9tdi doesnt gain much of a noticeable difference in smoke output. Theres something going on with your system rn.
The original nozzles in my car where dsla150p873s, I had never heard of them, and don't know the size, the car had previously had a tune when these where in, from 110 to 130, could this have caused any issues?

Bigleondriver

TDI
Well, learn something every day. You will see other issues but that's after prolonged use, like sticking vanes, washed liners, decreased fuel econ, very dirty bumper, ect.
So far the car is still going anyway just need to get it to Monday now.